CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Pipe or slip on or end cap

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator
Toxic Ryder
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pipe or slip on or end cap

I know this question is asked all the time, But is there a slip on or end cap that can be purchased with out changing any thing else on the atv (DS650). Like the jetting, ect. I want to keep everything else stock. Plus i have a db level to go by 96. I just don't want to start tearin into the machine, like most of you guys do. which is not a bad thing. It's just i'm poor and can't aford alot of mods... Any info would be great... thanks...

Old 02-07-2006, 09:04 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you increase air flow by opening up your exhaust, you will have to rejet to keep from running lean. Most aftermarket pipes still will not pass a 96 db sound check if the cop is having a bad day....... even with a quiet core.

There are a bunch of guys around here that are really good with Mikuni carbs that can help you with rejetting so I wouldn't worry about that.

Quiet cores really suck. They take your pipe from cheap horsepower to expensive horsepower because instead of getting 4 - 7 hp for $250 you might get 2.

My 2 cents.

Old 02-07-2006, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RobandDS
If you increase air flow by opening up your exhaust, you will have to rejet to keep from running lean. Most aftermarket pipes still will not pass a 96 db sound check if the cop is having a bad day....... even with a quiet core.

There are a bunch of guys around here that are really good with Mikuni carbs that can help you with rejetting so I wouldn't worry about that.

Quiet cores really suck. They take your pipe from cheap horsepower to expensive horsepower because instead of getting 4 - 7 hp for $250 you might get 2.

My 2 cents.
Agreed...However even you new filter increases airflow leaning out your mix. Adding a pipe will make it worse. It basically comes down to $20 for 4 different size jets now, or lots of monies later if it goes boom!

Old 02-07-2006, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider

Also, if I were you I would go with the On-Dunes spark arrested end cap. You can control your Db levels and it is the best overall bang for buck, and I love my HMF, but very loud even with quiet core. We are running one of them, and I can tell you anything you want to know about it. PM me if you have questions...

Old 02-14-2006, 04:00 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BioWare
I know this question is asked all the time, But is there a slip on or end cap that can be purchased with out changing any thing else on the atv (DS650). Like the jetting, ect. I want to keep everything else stock. Plus i have a db level to go by 96. I just don't want to start tearin into the machine, like most of you guys do. which is not a bad thing. It's just i'm poor and can't aford alot of mods... Any info would be great... thanks...

YES

Old 02-14-2006, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator
Toxic Ryder

Thanks for the info, but even with the K & N you are saying i should put a jet kit in it. because I'm runnin very lean. What jet size should i get. Or better yet what jet kit should I buy.. stage one...

Old 02-14-2006, 04:11 PM
Pro Rider

I just run the mikuni jets, I have every size from 160-175. With my HMF and K&N I am in the 170-172.5 range at sea level. At 6000' I was running the 160 and ran very well. Everyone runs a bit different, but maybe those numbers can ball park you

Old 02-14-2006, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info, but even with the K & N you are saying i should put a jet kit in it. because I'm runnin very lean. What jet size should i get. Or better yet what jet kit should I buy.. stage one...
The K/N doesn't flow any more than the stock filter in our dyno tests. You should be safe as long as the lid and tubes are still in the air box.
The mfg of the pipe you buy should tell you what jet to run and what needle position on at least a stock machine at sea level at a certain temp range. If not, they haven't tested their own pipe, which, believe it or not, is very common.

All pipes, in fact, all engine components are different, and they all want different jetting- sometimes richer, sometimes leaner. Rely on the person you are buying from.

Old 02-14-2006, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 222
The K/N doesn't flow any more than the stock filter in our dyno tests. You should be safe as long as the lid and tubes are still in the air box.
The mfg of the pipe you buy should tell you what jet to run and what needle position on at least a stock machine at sea level at a certain temp range. If not, they haven't tested their own pipe, which, believe it or not, is very common.

All pipes, in fact, all engine components are different, and they all want different jetting- sometimes richer, sometimes leaner. Rely on the person you are buying from.

Just an addition to above, Most exhaust systems whether cap, slip on or full pipe usually come with the recomended jets. Jets are fairly cheap and there is alot of guys on here that can help you dial it in. My experience with the cap and slip on with the no-toil filter has been a 175 main jet needle in the fourth position just my .02. BioWare, If you need a few jets I have a bunch laying around I will give you. PM me if you need them. Its not a scary as it sounds, The hardest part of the whole process is getting the float bowl screws out!

Old 02-15-2006, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator
Toxic Ryder

Thanks guys for al your help..