CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

lectron and its uses........?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lectron and its uses........?

guys i have been looking for a used aftermarket carb for awhile now and it seems like if someone has one they want nearly as much as a new one. i would prefer the tm45 but nobody has one collecting dust and are willing to part with it for a reasonable price. i have seen many used lectrons for sale. this leads me to the question. are lectrons suitable/good for trails?. i ride trails exclusively and that is why i have wanted the tm45. tell me straight up am going a stray by considering a lectron for the trails? are these carbs best suited for draggin only? i have heard the praises and the people who hate them and also the whole thing with the slide sticking problem. some people say its a myth and others tell horror stories of it happening to them. whats the deal with these carbs and can they be depended on for performance on the trails?

Old 02-18-2006, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider

I would say power for power the lectron is better. But for trail to general riding i would go with the TM45, general to drag I would go 46HV. I myself have the TM45 and love it. But if I were drag racer I would go 46HV for sure.

Old 02-18-2006, 10:29 PM
Canadian and Proud of it !!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the lectron carb and love it. I have never used the TM45 so I can't compare the two of them. I do mostly trail ridding in the Mountains with a couple of trips to the dunes each year.

There were some growing pains with this carb to start. My problem was cable routing and dirt for the most part. HPR has also released an updated cable that I started using about a year ago. After I replaced the cable I have had zero problems. The throttle is butter smoth and has never stuck or hung up since. If you find a used carb make sure to order the updated cable.

You will love this carb when you get it.

My 2 cents

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-19-2006, 11:55 AM
Pro Rider

will the lectrons hold up to muddy conditions?

Old 02-19-2006, 12:20 PM
Canadian and Proud of it !!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes it will work fine in the mud, but be sure to keep your airbox. I run without an airbox, openfilter and outerwear so the odd time if I hit some water it will get sucked in and then it will stumble for a few minutes until it cleans itself out.
As long as you keep your airbox - run it with the lid removed - you will have no problems.

Old 02-19-2006, 12:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I don't understand why this doesn't come up first thing when comparing the Lectron to the TM45 but I will say it again. Do you want to stay with a thumb throttle or do you prefer a twist throttle. The lectron has a nice easy thumb action. The TM is so stiff you really need a twist throttle. They have some lighter duty springs you can buy aftermarket but I have heard that they come with their own problems. I guess the TM needs stiff springs to work right.

Ron

Old 02-19-2006, 12:45 PM
Pro Rider

WRONG, you can get the tm to feel just like the stock pull. WITH the pump! and you dont need to BUY anything else! everything else can be stock, "cable ect"

Old 02-19-2006, 12:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Excellent. How do you do it? I got rid of mine about a year ago because after trying the lighter springs it was still stiffer than was usable and it didn't snap back quite right.

I would like to know how you do that.

Ron[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-19-2006, 01:11 PM
Pro Rider

i have owned both carbs.. i absolutly loved my tm45, it was easy to tune and it worked well on the trails and the strip...i didnt run the pumper so the stiffness wasnt that big of a deal. BUT if i had it all over to do again, i would of saved my money and waited to by a lectron.. im still in amazement on the power this carb puts out. i love the throttle pull this carb has. in my opinion, its way better for the strip, not just peak H.P, but the flat line h.p. and torque line it paints. VERY ABUSESIVE Power band.... as for trail riding, i dont get it. i get around on the trails as good if not better with my lectron then i ever did with any other carb, plus my thumb dont ache after im done...i odnt think u can go wrong with either carb. the only downfall i have seen to the lectron is the tuning capabilitys.. but once u get it right u really dont have to mess with it much....hope this helped...

Old 02-19-2006, 02:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: shmee
WRONG, you can get the tm to feel just like the stock pull. WITH the pump! and you dont need to BUY anything else! everything else can be stock, "cable ect"
No disrespect intended but since you are the only one I have ever heard make a statement like this regarding a Mikuni TM, until I hear how you accomplish this I am calling "BS".

If you explain it and it makes sense, I will gladly change my position on the TM setup.

All we care about is real information here.

Ron

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: lectron and its uses........?