CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS650 REV BOX!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2000, 01:06 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

has anyone had any problems with the rev box? i just ordered one for my DS that i bought today.in other words,does it have any drawbacks or disadvantages that i should know of? by the way i was really impressed with the power and comfort.i have the k&n filter and jet installed but waiting on rev box.my dealer races his DS and recomended that i keep my stock pipe for performance.he said that what little power you get with the after market isnt really worth the money.i thought he was pretty honest,after all he could have sold me a $350-$400 pipe and told me that it really helped but he didnt.i'd recomend him to anybody,Richards'Recreation Specialties in Kevil,Ky phone 270-462-2528 ask for Randall.you cant go wrong with this guy.

Old 11-11-2000, 01:29 AM
Pro Rider

Rev box? Are you speaking of the stock rev box? If you are planning on installing a stock rev box, i would not reccomend it. It is set very low and hit's alot whne riding aggresivly. Instead i have heard of A company (check another Post in this forum) that is making a rev limiter for the ds, but it is set alot higher then stock limit. The ds's stock limit i belive is set at 7700 rpm and that is relatily low. The raptor in comparison is set at 9000rpm. The rev limiter is a good idea in the respect of keeping your engin safe from "overrev" but in all other ways, the rev limiter mostly get's into the way in aggresive riding. I think when they come out with it i will buy the rev limiter that is bumped up 2000 rpm.

Old 11-11-2000, 09:49 AM
Trailblazer

Pipe doesnt really help??? The exhaust system on a stock DS doesnt compare to an after market system. Big Gun, Graydon, Ron Woods pipes make a major differance in performance. I installed the Big Gun pipe, now this thing is an animal!

As for the rev box I think you could re-gear for a under a hundred bucks and not worry about hitting the limiter nearly as much.

QuickDS
14.60@85 pipe/gears
no rev box

Old 11-11-2000, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider

I think that a pipe will make some power,but he is right about the queston of is it worth the $350to400.I will say that most after market pipes look better then stock.They also can sound better.If you have lots of money to spend,and want to inprove by a few horses,then a pipe is worth it.My DS is still stock and has plenty of gitty-up and go,but I might put a pipe on in the near future.

Old 11-12-2000, 09:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'v got a new box ordered that eliminates the rev limit and adjust the timing curve acording to my dealer.my dealer drag races and TT races his bike and he told me the only mods he made on his bike was after market rev box,K&N filter,rejeting for filter,big gun pipe.he said the only reason he added a pipe was that he could'nt hear his bike while racing and it was hard to tell if the bike was lugging down too low for the gear it was in so he put a louder pipe on it so he could hear how the motor was running.he said that was the only reason he added the pipe,otherwise he would have kept the stock pipe,because he said that to him the little bit of power gained just really was'nt really worth the money.this suprised me because how many dealers do you know of that would'nt try to sell you an after market pipe even if it just added a little bit of performance,but instead recomended you run the stocker when he knows you were going to buy one from him.I thought he was pretty strait up about it becaues after all,he just cost himself a $350-$400 sell.I mean I hear it both ways,do buy one and dont buy one.Ijust dont want to spend that kind of money for 2-3 horse power,you know what I mean? THANKS GUYS!!!!!!!

Old 11-12-2000, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider

I have read that a ron-woods rev box,want help that much unles you get high-performance internal parts,because the DS stops making power around the stock rpm range.I think if you change gearing you want hit it near as much.

Old 11-13-2000, 12:21 PM
Trailblazer

What gearing did you go to quickds? Does your ds still pull good on top? I also have a big gun exhuast and k&n filter, but I haven't hit the rev limiter much since I piped it, I guess I've adjusted to it.

Old 11-13-2000, 12:48 PM
Trailblazer

desertds I went to a 17 front and a 35 rear. The bike still pulls great everywhere. Yanks the wheels straight up in first and still pulls 85 in the 1/4 mile with more to go after that.

QuickDS
14.60@85 pipe/gears

Old 11-13-2000, 01:04 PM
Pro Rider

It depends on your riding style. If you are used to riding a two stoke you will hate the stock rev limiter. A pipe on the other hand doesn't just add 2-3 hp, the main aspect of a pipe on the DS is the 10-12 hp that it adds down low around 3500-4000 rpm. If you like torque, and want to pull taller gearing, like the aforementioned 17 x 35, you will want a pipe.

Old 11-14-2000, 01:40 AM
Trailblazer

Ken how do you like the steering stablizer? Does it help with the quickness of the steering? I would like to get one so your input would be appreciated.

Quick Reply: DS650 REV BOX!!!!