CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Still need more info on the KMS EFI (user problem reports)

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 03:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still need more info on the KMS EFI (user problem reports)

I have contacted kelly to get most of my questions answered BUT- I am still looking for input (past/present problems with your EFI setup) suggestions etc etc.

Old 02-22-2006, 06:19 PM
Range Rover
Keeps busy in the garage building one thing or another.

The KMS EFI would work very well for you. LOL
I am by no means a expert on my EFI/turbo system but I believe if you were to order a EFI today, and you had a stock DS650 and you upgraded the cdi to what Kelly recommends and run the gas or methonal he recommends plus upgrade your valve springs, Kelly could send you the fuel map that would probably work very close to perfect. As far as a 6000ft change in altitude I could not tell you.
But you have a 730 kit. I could be wrong but I dont think Kelly could make a specific map for eack big bore kit that comes out or should I say has the time to do it. I am positive he could do it... I am assuming the map for the stock versus bigbore vs racehead vs cams.....are all going to be different.
Some of the questions I have right now are how do I know when the 02 sensor is bad or going bad? What size are these injectors I recieved for a stock 650? The gas injector and the methonal injector? If I go from stock 650 injectors to a 730 do my injectors need to be upgraded for more flow? At what point is the injectors not cutting it or the fuel pump is not cutting it or maybe its my fuelpetcok that is causing a restriction.
I have alot more learning to do with my EFI system but it cost $$ and it really helps to have access to a dyno and a knowledgible tunner that can see whats happening. As 222 put it "the good thing about the EFI sytem is you have control of everything, the bad thing is...well you have control of everything"
Maybe we can get Major to chime in as he seemed to have had his running real strong for a couple of years but then again I think he was only a couple hours from Kelly.
Another thing is that one phone call to Kelly can save you alot of headaches when problems do arrive.

Old 02-22-2006, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider

Roost, I think you already got all my info on the system. The KMS efi works great on my 730 and I never touch any of the programing.

While the emails are disappointing, I wouldn't judge a company by there emails. I know a lot of great companies that have horrible email support. I am sure from there side they get tons of emails, probably most from kids that never actually plan on making a purchase. If you really want your question answered you got to pick up the phone and talk to them. Stephanie knows allot of the technical stuff, if she can't answer it then she will put Kelly on the line.

Old 02-22-2006, 06:56 PM
Pro Rider

I sent another email with ATTN to kelly so hopefully he receives it and answers my questions. One of my questions was as to if the included injectors can fuel the 730 properly.

I really like the idea of perfectly tuned all the time - but am just really afraid the setup will be troublesome. One of the reasons I want this is so I can pull the quad out of the trailor out west, warm it up and go. Insted of messing with jetting for 45 minutes and being paranoid the jetting is off.

I also am curious if he can send me a map that is setup for the 730 or does that all have to get messed with by the user? (really hope not...lol) But I am curious about one thing... It is EFI which self adjusts..even if the system has a map setup for the stock engine, shouldnt it adjust for the required flow of the 730? I think the answer might be yes, but it wouldnt be optimum performance hence the reason on automobile tuning I have to give my tuner all my info for him to create the map.

Old 02-22-2006, 06:56 PM
Pro Rider

I will give you what I found to be true. A N/A motor will run on a single injector and the change from a 650 to 730 should not require a different injector unless you are runing a smaller injector that is maxed out on the 650. That should not be the case. Once you get the map set to where you need it and the fuel mixture is truly where it needs to be, altitude changes should be compensated for automatically. The O2 sensor will do well with unleaded fuel but leaded will eventually destroy it. Being a heated O2 sensor helps it to last longer and when it goes bad I could tell because of the gauge I had. If you don't have a digital gauge you would have a harder time diagnosing the problem. I will say no matter the problems, I have never had better service than from KMS.

Old 02-22-2006, 07:08 PM
Pro Rider

Ya thanks sandaholic I did get a lot of info from your write up.

Question to everyone though: What problems have you seen? Im talking even little nuisance things like something coming disconnected/ o2 sensor going bad/ solenoid problems etc etc etc. Just trying to get a feel for if small problems should be expected, or if the setup is pretty stout.

I am definitely not letting the emails totally turn me off to the system, it was just kind of a nit-picking thing. As long as phone service is available thats more important than email anyway (I just hate calling places on the phone if I can avoid it as small companies especially are usually running on a few employees so its hard for them to stop what they are doing to talk for half an hour).

Old 02-22-2006, 10:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

Here my .02 frist kelly is very busy so ill give you the straight dope ....kelly and stephanie are trying there best to make the world happy but the amount of calls he gets a day is mind boggling. And he is a very small shop and is tryng to keep the systems affordable so they can make it out the door.. I hope you understand he builds these systems as a dream but belive me there is not enough to make a good living in his turbos. He has to do customer bikes too!!!!to make ends meet the same as dave moore,andrew buck,and many other top builders thats the bummer.....But roost i will be more than happy to go by his shop ****** him up by the scruff of his collar and force him to give you a call in the next few day's if you pm your # [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I more than likely will not have to get violent but im prepared to for you only roost[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 02-22-2006, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider

Haha good to hear you have my back but I talked to stephanie (email) today and arranged for a phone call to kelly tomorrow to get my questions answered.

She said I could purchase directly from them but I am wondering what the cost is (its 1395 on fullthrottlejunkies so im assuming the same price?)

Hopefully I will have it soon and will be a happy camper!

Old 02-22-2006, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: R00ST
Ya thanks sandaholic I did get a lot of info from your write up.

Question to everyone though: What problems have you seen? Im talking even little nuisance things like something coming disconnected/ o2 sensor going bad/ solenoid problems etc etc etc. Just trying to get a feel for if small problems should be expected, or if the setup is pretty stout.

I am definitely not letting the emails totally turn me off to the system, it was just kind of a nit-picking thing. As long as phone service is available thats more important than email anyway (I just hate calling places on the phone if I can avoid it as small companies especially are usually running on a few employees so its hard for them to stop what they are doing to talk for half an hour).

Hey Roost.. I have had the EFI TURBO for a while now with ALOT of little problems that have led to BIG DAMAGE to my turbos and engine. NOT the systems falt, human error,and plain old bad luck..Your not running a Turbo so I won't go into that. Be sure your electrical system puts out more than 13.2 volts at idle with lights on!! I thought my bike was in perfect shape but the EFI just didn't work??? After ALOT , ALOT of messing with it and finally doing a volt check?? My bike was barely putting out 13 volts at REV!! AND BARELY 12 volts WITH LIGHTS ON.!! This was ok for my stock bike ,but , this will really mess with the EFI!! After a fix now She puts out 13.75 on the low side and 14.75 on the high side. MADE A BIG DIFFERENCE. I have more tuning to do this weekend

OH! Really think about a fuel pressure gauge. Easy to tie in and install. NOT nessessary but low or no fuel pressure can drive you NUTS!! If you don't know it!!

Good luck Bud

Old 02-23-2006, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider

budtbaar,

How did you fix your voltage at idle? The quartz lamps really suck the minimal electrics down on Rotax vehicles.

Thanks!!

Quick Reply: Still need more info on the KMS EFI (user problem reports)