CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS650 Fuel Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 01:05 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DS650 Fuel Issues

My ds650 is having some sort of fuel issues. Thought it may have been a pugged filter but I can't seem to find one on it. So my first question would be does anyone know if they had a fuel filter on them? And if so where is it?

My second question would be, does anyone have any idea what could be going on. The last couple times I've had it out it's been missing quite a bit. Seems to be fine if I am taking my time through trails and what not, but if I let into the throttle it doesn't seem to be getting enough fuel. Or more like the carb just isn;t filling fast enough. Like I said I was thinking maybe a plugged filter, but now I am thinking maybe the fuel valve is plugged, or the vent tube on the tank.

I have changed the plugs, cleaned and reoiled the K&N but to no avail.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-26-2006, 01:21 AM
Pro Rider

The first thing I think I would try is running it without the gas cap on. That will tell you if the tank vent is flowing correctly. That thing is a small vinal tube and can pinch easily. If it is pinched you might see problems like you are describing. Next I think there is a screen on the inside of the petcock (I could be wrong on that but someone will corrcet me if I'm wrong) Take the gas line off the carb and see if it is flowing freely. There is no other fuel filter so if its not the tank vent or the petcock screen then you should look at the float level on the carb. I forget what they should be set at but if you do a search you should be able to find the specs.

I also saw that you had a k&n... did you rejet? Maybe your jetting is off.

Thanks all I can think of right now... had a couple beers... memory is not so good anyway. Others will chime in...Good Luck!

Old 02-26-2006, 02:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

still running the stock jets. I have the kit but haven't installed it yet.

Old 02-26-2006, 06:47 PM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: FatHolly
The first thing I think I would try is running it without the gas cap on. That will tell you if the tank vent is flowing correctly. That thing is a small vinal tube and can pinch easily. If it is pinched you might see problems like you are describing. Next I think there is a screen on the inside of the petcock (I could be wrong on that but someone will corrcet me if I'm wrong) Take the gas line off the carb and see if it is flowing freely. There is no other fuel filter so if its not the tank vent or the petcock screen then you should look at the float level on the carb. I forget what they should be set at but if you do a search you should be able to find the specs.

I also saw that you had a k&n... did you rejet? Maybe your jetting is off.

I agree with FatHolly. Its one of the above.

Old 02-26-2006, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider

sounds to me like you need to have it taken in for a valve adjustment. I have done alot of these and found that the valves seat in and are tight casuing hard starting and low on power.