CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

a guy from my town died at glamis last wk....

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a guy from my town died at glamis last wk....

some guy died at a dune in cali last wk it said in our news paper..they said it is the biggest dune out there, so i assume they ment glamis...said he came over a hill and dropped off and died of internal injury..some one found him a while later..very sad..this wasnt his first trip out there so i am not sure what happened..

anyone here of this last wk

Old 02-27-2006, 10:14 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, there was a thread on Glamisdunes.com of a NY rider who died. I thought it said he went riding late at night alone and crashed. He was found face down in the sand with the bike on top of him.

The contraversy was the authorities weren't able to respond quick enough at night to remove the body for the friends and they had to get the body to the road themselves.

Most riders know that riding offroad often leaves you in remote, inaccessable areas and getting help can take a long time. Also, you throw in that the California dunes is the busiest offroad riding area in the country and there can be up to 200,000 riders in the area on a holiday weekend, you can see how a limited amount of authorities can be over-taxed.

And, having half the available riding area closed by eco-wacko groups help concentrate the riders in a smaller area. The ASA is fighting to get the re-opened for the enjoyment and safety of all.

(I would encourage all of you to join the ASA. Its free to join and the more membership the ASA gets, the more clout the organization has with politicians. Even if you will neer ride in the dunes, the legal challenges and lobbying the ASA benifits all. By the way, the ASA DOES NOT spam you or release your personal information. The ASA will not solicit you for money. The ASA accepts donations but primary fundraising is from raffling off a sandrail.)

Old 02-28-2006, 01:16 AM
Pro Rider

thanks....it is sad but it sounds unsafe to ride alone and expecially at night

Old 02-28-2006, 03:45 AM
Pro Rider

Night riding is quite common and very popular in the dunes.

BUT YOU SHOULD NEVER ride alone, anywhere!!!

I always pratice the buddy system, as it could save a life - maybe mine!

Old 02-28-2006, 07:22 AM
Pro Rider

Amen to that, I had a Utility bike laying on my back several years ago for about an hour.
We should never ride alone, but most of us are all guilty of it.......
Sad to hear the guy died.

Old 02-28-2006, 09:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

How about a link to to the ASA site or at least tell me what the acronym stands for. A quick search on google brought me back The Amatuer Softball Association, American Society of Anesthesiologists, Autism Society of America, American Society of Appraisers,Automotive Service Association. And about a half dozen more. If I find it I'll edit the post.

Ok If it is the American Sand Association you are talking about their site is moving and isn't available currently.

Old 02-28-2006, 04:55 PM
Pro Rider

Try Glamisdunes.com

The American Sand Association site is changing hosts and will be back up later this week.

Old 02-28-2006, 11:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

His name was Jhonny he was riding at night he was the sweep man he was experianced as was the lead man but no one else was jhonny went down and the group was so long that the lead man did not see. And the center group did not pay attention when they returned to camp he was not with the group they knew he was experianced and hoped he would return atfter awhile he did not they went out looking and found him at the bottom of a dune.this is what distrurbed me most when i arrived and learned of the accident thinking how he sufferd bleeding to death and no one to help him. I couldn't handle it loaded up told everyone good bye and split for home it took the wind right out of my sails.This is a great group and consist of about 50-80 NewYorkers that come out every year this was jhonnys 5th trip and he will be missed i hope to spend next year with the group and would like to thank jhon mercer and the whole group for showing me NewYorker are just plain good folks.

Old 03-01-2006, 12:02 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: AZSAND
His name was Jhonny he was riding at night he was the sweep man he was experianced as was the lead man but no one else was jhonny went down and the group was so long that the lead man did not see. And the center group did not pay attention when they returned to camp he was not with the group they knew he was experianced and hoped he would return atfter awhile he did not they went out looking and found him at the bottom of a dune.this is what distrurbed me most when i arrived and learned of the accident thinking how he sufferd bleeding to death and no one to help him. I couldn't handle it loaded up told everyone good bye and split for home it took the wind right out of my sails.This is a great group and consist of about 50-80 NewYorkers that come out every year this was jhonnys 5th trip and he will be missed i hope to spend next year with the group and would like to thank jhon mercer and the whole group for showing me NewYorker are just plain good folks.
yeah that would be disturbing...... and nota ll of us newyorkers are god folks!but i am!

it sad to see him go.

Fred.

Old 03-01-2006, 07:17 AM
Pro Rider

Thats a really sad story.

Thanks for setting the story straight.

I often lead but sometimes run trail. I've always told everybody in the group that you are responsible for the rider behind you. This goes for duning or desert riding. If ythe person behind you stops or you can't see them, you stop and look for them. If neccessary, retrace your steps. This is especially important for the second to last rider.

Hopefully we all can learn from this.

Quick Reply: a guy from my town died at glamis last wk....