CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Bomb 800 first service

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 02:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bomb 800 first service

The dealer performed the first service at 10.5 hours, changed oil, was to check valves but not sure if they did. The computer still says " Maintenance Soon", therefore they didn't clear on the computer.

Is there other changes they are to do on the computer?

Not sure if they ripped me off for a $300 oil change or were to do much much more.

Old 02-28-2006, 03:11 PM
Range Rover

Last week I ordered a 800 Max. Because I what I have read on this and other forums, I asked for the following to close the deal: Winch, Second key, and the 10 hour service - dealer said okay. I asked for these things because of the cost people have indicated they've had to pay. That was in addition to a significant discount from retail.

It is my understanding the 10 hour service includes oil and filter change, adjust valves, and re-torque heads. And of course clear the service light. There may be some other things of which I am unaware. Someone weigh in please if you of know more than those. Ron, you might want to ask your dealer about the light. He should have cleared it. There is some conversation about the light and the ability/inability of owner's to secure it. It is my understanding it will come back at the 100 hour mark, and I assume every 100 hrs there after. Anyone know if this is true.

Bomb has some deals right now on their quads. 3 yr warranty (6mo no cost and remaining 2.5 yrs w/$50 deductable) OR 6 mo warranty AND $49 winch (I took this option. Yeah, it's a gamble). $500 cash back on the 400 outty and/or some reduced financing percentage and $250...I don't remember since I wasn't interested. Runs out May 31st for those interested.

Old 03-03-2006, 01:07 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RonM
The dealer performed the first service at 10.5 hours, changed oil, was to check valves but not sure if they did. The computer still says " Maintenance Soon", therefore they didn't clear on the computer.

Is there other changes they are to do on the computer?

Not sure if they ripped me off for a $300 oil change or were to do much much more.
We charge $200 plus parts for the 800. $300 seems a little high but w/ parts could be that much depending on the hourly rate. We adjust the valves, change engine oil/filter, change tranny oil, grease, clean air filter if dirty, adjust the steering, check diff oil levels and a couple other small checks. The atv has to be hooked up to the computer to reset the maint light. The light will come on whenever you reach the next service interval which I believe is every 50 or 100 hours.

Old 03-03-2006, 12:33 PM
Range Rover

Andy, Your comment enforces my opinion as to why people on this and other forums are "shopping" for that 10 hour service. If we look at the 10 hour service realistically, even at $200, it is way over priced. Run the numbers. Three quarts of synthetic oil (@$8/qt = $24), filter (@$10), plus one hour of shop time (@$50). I'm guessing at the numbers but suspect I'm not far off. The total is $84...and that has profit built in. I know you are not paying your top wrench $50/hr and this is a service he most likely will not be doing. It will be farmed out to the new guy.

So the shop's profit at $200 is somewhere close to $150 for an hours worth of work. I'm not saying you shouldn't get as much profit as you can. Charge the customer $1,000 if you can get away with it. More power to you. I'm only saying - for my pocket - it's too much. And I think it's too much for many customers, most of which are younger and can't afford that rate on an already very expensive machine.

If I was running the store, I'd run a little harder bargin up front, and include all service for the life of the warranty. I'd do everything I could to get my customer in the habit of bringing his machine back to my store. I could then sell him additional service if needed and tweek the machine at service to prevent small problems from becoming large problems and establish the kind of rapore with each customer that brings them back, not drives them away. But then, I'm not running the store.

Old 03-04-2006, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: JimJa
Andy, Your comment enforces my opinion as to why people on this and other forums are "shopping" for that 10 hour service. If we look at the 10 hour service realistically, even at $200, it is way over priced. Run the numbers. Three quarts of synthetic oil (@$8/qt = $24), filter (@$10), plus one hour of shop time (@$50). I'm guessing at the numbers but suspect I'm not far off. The total is $84...and that has profit built in. I know you are not paying your top wrench $50/hr and this is a service he most likely will not be doing. It will be farmed out to the new guy.

So the shop's profit at $200 is somewhere close to $150 for an hours worth of work. I'm not saying you shouldn't get as much profit as you can. Charge the customer $1,000 if you can get away with it. More power to you. I'm only saying - for my pocket - it's too much. And I think it's too much for many customers, most of which are younger and can't afford that rate on an already very expensive machine.

If I was running the store, I'd run a little harder bargin up front, and include all service for the life of the warranty. I'd do everything I could to get my customer in the habit of bringing his machine back to my store. I could then sell him additional service if needed and tweek the machine at service to prevent small problems from becoming large problems and establish the kind of rapore with each customer that brings them back, not drives them away. But then, I'm not running the store.
A couple things wrong w/ you calculations. A shop in Wyoming may charge $50/hour, but in southern Wisconsin no dealers are under $70/hour. We charge $80. Also, a full service takes more than one hour. Just doing the valves takes about an hour then add all the oil changes and adjustments and it takes 2 to 2 1/2 hours for the break-in service. We've only done a couple 800's so we are playing w/ the time we will charge the customer but right now its set at 2.5 hours. 2.5 hours times $80 = $200. And no, we don't have the new guy adjusting valves on a $8500 atv. In the shops around here you have 3 different levels of employees in the service dept. You have a service writer/manager who stands behind the counter all day, set up techs who set up new units and clean bikes and then there's the technicians. Technicians do everything from oil changes and break-in services to engine overhauls. Maybe in Wyoming they have the new guy doing the break-in services but not in any shop I've seen here.

Old 03-05-2006, 12:07 AM
Pro Rider

Those ridiculous service and parts prices are why I've bought my last Bombardier.

Old 03-05-2006, 01:55 AM
Range Rover

Andy, Like I said, good on you. Charge as much as you can get away with. 2.5 hour = $200. And of course we both know that $200 doesn't go to the techs. That's $3,200 a week and with a big shop, which yours obviously is, sales and techs have to pay for a lot of overhead. And in your part of the country, heat is a big part of overhead this time of year. But sorry, even if I was living next door I wouldn't pay those prices. More power to you and those customers willing to pay it. Just saying I know how the system works. I'm pretty sure there are no shops in WY as big as yours, but that's a guess.

BTW, there are shops in the some areas of WY that like to charge city prices. I split my time between San Diego and Wyoming - as much in WY as my wife will permit. Problem I have in WY is I'm an hour away from the AC dealer (a one man owner/operator and a GREAT guy) and two hours away from the Bomb dealer (a three man shop, owner/wife/one worker).

Of interest, prior to buying my 800 I stopped in at a local San Diego dealer that just moved into a new building. Biggest quad and motorcycle dealership I've ever been in. Two floors. Off the top of my head I'm guessing they had AT LEAST 200 (Bomb, KQ, Yam, Suz) display sport models on the second floor alone. The first floor had an equal number of utility and side x side models as well as their motorcycle inventory (they also have a large warehouse out back). Their Bomb 800 Max was priced $1,200 over MSRP. They have to move a lot of hardware and service to "pay the freight," but I wasn't going to be carrying them with that pricing. I didn't even ask about their service rate.

Old 03-05-2006, 02:13 AM
Range Rover

Sticker price means nothing to me. I find the best price I can, go to my dealer of choice, If they don't match or beat it I walk out.
Here is my question. I have only 3 hrs on my 800. Going out this weekend for three days. Will probably have more than ten hrs on it before I can service it. How much will it matter? I ride pretty easy. At the max it will be 15 hrs when I get it serviced.

Old 03-05-2006, 11:16 AM
Range Rover

I won't matter...or should I say, "It shouldn't matter." Since it's Sunday AM you're probably already on the road to where ever. You can't undo it now. You might have called the servicing dealer Friday or Saturday, told them your intentions and asked them. that way you would have covered yourself in case the dealer balks at a possible future warranty claim. Perhaps Andy will weigh in. He works at a dealership and will know Bomb's position. You're not the only one that has this question.

Old 03-05-2006, 12:26 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: EasyQuader
Sticker price means nothing to me. I find the best price I can, go to my dealer of choice, If they don't match or beat it I walk out.
Here is my question. I have only 3 hrs on my 800. Going out this weekend for three days. Will probably have more than ten hrs on it before I can service it. How much will it matter? I ride pretty easy. At the max it will be 15 hrs when I get it serviced.
Like JimJa said, it "shouldn't matter". As long as you don't have 25, 30 hours on it you should be ok. 10 hours is the recommended break-in service. No manufacturer expects you to stop on the trail at exactly 10 hours and change your oil and service the valves. They understand you may go a little over, just make sure you get it done when you get back. It may not be a bad idea like Jimja said also about calling the dealer and telling them your intentions and maybe even making a service appointment just so they know you are intending on bringing it in. If your dealer is cool, you'll be ok. Unless they never checked the oil level and it got extremely low, we would never tell a customer w/ 15 hours on their machine that they neglected the service and not warranty engine damage.

JimJa, no that $200 doesn't all go toward the techs. Its used to pay for electricity, heat, wages, vacation, training, special tools, lifts and tire machines, franchise fees, building maintanence, shop truck, insurance (huge chunk), and lots of other little things that I can't think of right now. A franchise dealer has a ton of overhead. I was told the numbers on what it costs to just turn on the lights and it was amazing. An independant shop may charge less because of less cost of running the business, and if they can provide its customers w/ adequate service than I'm all for it.

Quick Reply: Bomb 800 first service