CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Too O-Ring or not to O-ring. That is the Question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 01:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too O-Ring or not to O-ring. That is the Question.

Getting down to the nitty gritty on my conversion. I need some opinions on O-ring 520 chain vs. non O-ring. Bike never sees mud but it does get rained on at the coast occasionally plus some wet sand to go along with it. Performance wise whats to be gained by going with a non O-ring chain. What are the longevity issues? Also as far as tensile strength Sidewinder claims somthing like 12,000 lbs. DID has some that are around 9000 lbs. Im looking for some options.

Old 03-02-2006, 04:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Scatter, on my old dirtbikes., I only ran the non chains. The dirt mud and crap just ruins them anyhow. I would imagine the sand does the same. I have yet to replace one on my ds though. O ring chains dont require lube, were as the non do. So they tend to attract more sand, depending on the lube. I think they are less weight, and cheaper, so what the he!!, go for it.

Old 03-03-2006, 01:51 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks, Jed

Come on nobody else here has an opinion. Thats a first.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-03-2006, 03:17 AM
Pro Rider

The purpose of the O-rings is to keep lubrication "in", and debris "out". If you don't experience very much mud, dirt, or sand, AND perform regular maintainance, then go with the non O-ring chain (assuming the chain strength and quality are equal with both chains).

How's that?

Old 03-03-2006, 11:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: IdahoVinnie
The purpose of the O-rings is to keep lubrication "in", and debris "out". If you don't experience very much mud, dirt, or sand, AND perform regular maintainance, then go with the non O-ring chain (assuming the chain strength and quality are equal with both chains).

How's that?
I would do what Idaho is suggesting just because I hate maintenence and I always forget about my chain. About all I do is regular oil changes and clean the air filter...............Oh, yeah......I also tear my bike down every month for new mod ideas.......but hate maintenence........lol.

Old 03-03-2006, 11:40 AM
Pro Rider

Are there 520 chains available as an o-ring? I think by what has been thrown out so far, that is the way I would go.

Old 03-03-2006, 02:04 PM
Pro Rider

Maintenance was a big issue with my 530 non o-ring. I think I will go with an O-ring. Im wondering how much you give up power wise with it though?

Just a side note, I was pulling the stock axle last night. I got it all apart and went to slide the axle out. I took a big hammer and a chunk of wood and tried my best to beat it out of the carrier. No dice! Luckily a couple of guys that work at my local yammy dealer have personal shops in the complex where my shop is helped me out. We ended up putting it in a press plus heat the bearings up to get it out! Would it be wise to put a little anti seize on the inside of the bearings to prevent this next time? I certainly dont want to be banging, heating and pressing on that new JJ&A axle next time I do the bearings. The guys that helped me out are mechanics and they couldnt believe how hard that was to get apart. Any ideas?

Old 03-03-2006, 02:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Scatterbrain
Maintenance was a big issue with my 530 non o-ring. I think I will go with an O-ring. Im wondering how much you give up power wise with it though?

Just a side note, I was pulling the stock axle last night. I got it all apart and went to slide the axle out. I took a big hammer and a chunk of wood and tried my best to beat it out of the carrier. No dice! Luckily a couple of guys that work at my local yammy dealer have personal shops in the complex where my shop is helped me out. We ended up putting it in a press plus heat the bearings up to get it out! Would it be wise to put a little anti seize on the inside of the bearings to prevent this next time? I certainly dont want to be banging, heating and pressing on that new JJ&A axle next time I do the bearings. The guys that helped me out are mechanics and they couldnt believe how hard that was to get apart. Any ideas?
I don't have any idea's on your second question but about the giving up power with o-ring question............ I think there might be some advantages to the non-o-ring chain when both chains are perfectly clean. However when you get a nice coating of sand on whatever chain lube residue is left between the links, I bet the advantages are gone and the o-ring chain will work better.

Just a thought.

Ron

Old 03-03-2006, 02:30 PM
Pro Rider

Im guessing but the non- o-ring will probably not make enough extra hp to make it worth the extra maint. Im on the hunt for a good rear sprocket now. I think Im going to go with an Ironman Stainless sprocket 40t. Ad says 5 times stronger than aluminum with the same weight. Anybody have one of these? What are you running for sprockets Ron?

What about an X ring any difference than an O-ring? I know this thread is kind of a pain but I only want to make this choice once.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-03-2006, 02:37 PM
Pro Rider

Do not be thinking this is a pain, because I want to know the same stuff.......Same here, only one change please.

Quick Reply: Too O-Ring or not to O-ring. That is the Question.