CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Stock Carb with piston, cams??

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 02:04 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Carb with piston, cams??

I just read a very old post about guys tuning the stock carb with great success. I have tried the TM45 and HV46, but now I'm back to my stocker with Oldmanracing's carb mods and I feel its running as good or better than it did with either of the fore mentioned carbs. Maybe I didn't have them dialed in, but when drag racing my buddy with his 05 vs my 2000..where I'm at now is very close. The TM ran great, but even with Hightower's much appreciated set up, the throttle push was still tougher than stock. The Lectron seemed very strong, but only had a chance to run it for one day at the dunes..probably didn't have it perfect..but $ and easy of throttle and idle issues are a concern here. Thanks again Randall for letting me try one out!

He in lies my question. I really like the feel of the stock carb. Is it crazy to think that I'd someday like to go to a higher compression pistion, HPR3 cams and Vortex CDI...but, keep my stock carb. I'm also running a ODP disk type end cap with 14 disks. It gives great low end good mid and top and keeps the sound level where I like..not too loud.

For about 1500.00, I can get the cams with shim under bucket, piston and Vortex CDI...Without adding the $600 plus HV46 or 48 will I see good gains, or does the larger carb make it all work as a system? Would the gains I would see with the stock carb not be worth that kind of money?

Or, should I just bolt on a $800 Boss Noss NO2 kit with the stock carb and be done with it??

We do alot of trail woods type riding where good throttle control is important. But we do go to the dunes out here in Michigan 3-5 times a year and love to drag race...even on dirt back here at home in Ohio.

Long story short...can I see some good gains with a good piston, cams (HPR)..BUT keep the stock carb?

Thanks

Old 03-11-2006, 10:55 AM
Pro Rider

we put together a bike with cams piston end cap, with stk carb and cdi. ill just say it runs very strong on the bottom but lacks up top. so yes it will work. it will be lacking up top tho.

Old 03-11-2006, 11:20 AM
OMR
Pro Rider
Is Oldmanracing! Also the inventor on the DS650 carb Mod!

The stock carb can flow the required cfm to make 65hp.
It could make alittle more depending on slide flutter control and exhaust.
You need your timing to be 30 degree's advance to clean up the top end with my present mods. I am back to work and hope to have my jetkit available this summer.
Last week I bumped my sons timing to 30 with the proto jetkit and had great results.
Remember on a harley they get up 80 hp with a carb this size. The 2 cylinders help to control flutter better though. I am making more mods to the aribox to test also.
Here in wisconsin my testing really slows up in winter.
Buy cams that will match your riding style.

Old 03-11-2006, 11:26 AM
Pro Rider

Dingo2.I recently went from a stock carb to a Lectron 46HV and i would agree with shmee that there is no comparison on the top end.I was not liking the low speed throttle response of the Lectron until i adjusted the idle speed to 1800-2000rpm then it was all good.I did also add a ported intake at the same time so some of the gains i had can be attributed to that but the majority were from the carb.Within the next few weeks i will be adding the HPR HR2 cams and a 12:1 piston so i will be able to report back on how that works.Believe it or not i am getting very good results with the stock end cap with some holes drilled in the spark arrestor plate.I also have a billet end cap and i will try that as well but i have to keep the noise down so that may not work.I have mentioned it before but i will say again that the Lectron 46HV is the best power adding bolt on that i have ever installed in my thirty plus years of riding.

Old 03-11-2006, 11:52 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Shmee and Duneitilludie are right about the typical problems associated with using the stock carb with mods. I ran into another problem entirely though. OMR might have some diaphram mods that could avoid this but I had a stage 3 head and cams with stock carb and aparently my cams were such that they didn't build enough vacuum at low rpms to really open up that carb untilbottom of the midrange. I don't think I had a typical problem and I am sure I overlooked something but stock cams provide pretty good vacuum at low rpms. Some cams you will look at will need a manual carb like the TM or the Lectron unless someone like OMR has found a way to make the stocker pick up with less vacuum.

jmho.

Ron

Old 03-11-2006, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider

A few years back I bought a bike that had web 110's, 11.5 woods piston, polished and ported bigvalve head, stock carb and pipe, pit an end cap on it and took it to the dyno. went from 39 to 42 hp. It wasn't till I went with the bigger carb that it really started to wake up. This was just my experience with it .

Old 03-11-2006, 01:24 PM
Pro Rider

Has anyone ever ported out the stock carb? I know of some Predator guys that get the Nicholas Cycle carb mod in which he port the carb to about 44mm..maybe this could be done to get some better top end. I'm not questioning any benefits that the Lectrons give, but I just like the throttle push of the stocker and don't want to have to set my idle up to nearly 2K. My goal down the road with the cams, piston and Vortex would be to get somewhere in the heighborhood of 58-62 HP. I'm assuming I'm in the 46-49 range right now with the stock carb mods, end cap and Mr. HP full ported intake. Can the stock carb, jetted correctly of course get me close??[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 03-11-2006, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider

I know that 1800-2000 rpm at idle sounds high but you really dont notice it once your are putting the motor under any load at all.Not trying to be pushy here but as i said the Lectron made a huge difference for me.

Old 03-11-2006, 01:35 PM
Pro Rider

duneittilludie..do you ride dunes only? Out here in Ohio, we do alot of woods riding with some slow technical riding...but I do go to the dunes a few times a year.

Old 03-11-2006, 01:42 PM
Pro Rider

We do almost all of our riding at the dunes but our dunes have a lot of tight slow technical tree lined trails as well.If i had not played with my Lectron to get it to perform well at lower rpm levels for trails i would agree with you that it is not the best choice for this type of riding but once it is dialed in i actually prefer it to the stock carb for this type of riding.Did you try the Lectron with a twist throttle or the thumb throtle?I have the Vortex twist and it works great for me.

Quick Reply: Stock Carb with piston, cams??