CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Wood CDI and NOSS

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 08:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wood CDI and NOSS

Originally posted by: rcoop
Originally posted by: DSNUT
Here is what I would do:

I would runa Vortex ignition with a custom curve designed for backing the appropriate amount of timing out for your compression and NOS shot. I would put a good shim-under kit in with heavy duty valve springs and on say a 7500 - 7800 rpm shift point DS which is a moderately built motor, set the rev limiter at 9000 - 9250 rpm still within the limits of your valve springs but high enough to keep you off the limiter in 99% of circumstances.

That will give you reasonable odds on the calculated risks. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

My $0.02
So you are saying the Vortex is safe to run nitrous and bump on the rev limiter. Thanks for the info. I just emailed Richard at Vortex's home office so hopefully he responds and explains to us how it works and ill post his response here so we can all learn from it.
Don't repeat it and change my words. People can read them for themselves. I don't think it is a good thing at all to frequently hit the rev limiter on or off NOS. I do think it is the lessor of the two evils when compared to no rev-limiter and the risk of floating valves. The "Nitrous 101" link I posted cleared it up already.

D@mn, you would think this is some epic battle of Olympus........[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 12-19-2006, 08:43 PM
Pro Rider

If your rev limit is implemented by an aftermarket ignition, it's perfectly safe for the motor to run nitrous during the rev limit. It's not particularly easy though, on your transmission or clutch to have all that power during the shift, which may be a reason to keep the window switch set a bit before you shift.

or

I don't think it is a good thing at all to frequently hit the rev limiter on or off NOS.

I'm not twisting your words. The information you are posting is confusing and contradicting itself. You said in another post you have never seen any damage from this happening why would you say its not a good thing then ?

Old 12-19-2006, 08:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Sorry bud. There is a difference between something being safe and something being good. Hitting the rev limiter does nothing to enhance performance. If you hit it all the time, you either need to change your riding style or your rev limit is set too low for optimal performance. That doesn't make it dangerous to hit the rev limiter.......it just isn't a good or productive thing.

You are really going after this aren't you. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] You didn't like the comclusion the Nitrous experts came to so now you want a second opinion from a company that makes the rev limiters???[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

lol

RCOOP - If you are really looking for someone to specifically give you the answer you want..........I would e-mail RWR. That is the company that offers the box without the rev-limiter. Most likely they have already come up with all the justifications for not using one while developing their promotion of the product. Might save you some time in making your point even if it does nothing to get closer to the truth.

Just a thought[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-19-2006, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am stating that a Vortex cdi, a Big Gun Cdi, or a stock cdi is safe to hit the rev limiter with nitrous. Been there done that for years.

Its simple, when a piston comes up on the exhaust stroke, it empties the cylinder to the best of its abilities. It dont care if the charge is spent, on not, its gone and out the exhaust. The only chance for it to fire the unburned portion, is whats left in the cylinder (very little), or in the exhaust. Now it could fire in the exhaust, but doubtful since you are already at such a rpm, the exhaust pulses will probably pull it out.
There is no issue running a cdi with no limit on nitrous. None more than a bike with out nitrous. You stand to do the same thing either way.

Old 12-19-2006, 09:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 650VIPER
Nate, diddo with everything said. I would not run a ron woods cdi with nitrous, at all, period! Two reasons. First, it has alot of advance. Thats ok if you want to run really good fuel, and be very watchful of everything going on. Second, no rev limit. That has already been stated. Like Major said, boom! Its just a matter of time. I have missed gears alot under nitrous. Not one engine part has been replaced because of it though, thanks to a rev limiter.
I hope you aren't angry about this, Jed. It is just that this statement you made verbalized my opinion much better than I did[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-19-2006, 09:29 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry bud. There is a difference between something being safe and something being good. Hitting the rev limiter does nothing to enhance performance. If you hit it all the time, you either need to change your riding style or your rev limit is set too low for optimal performance. That doesn't make it dangerous to hit the rev limiter.......it just isn't a good or productive thing.

You are really going after this aren't you. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] You didn't like the comclusion the Nitrous experts came to so now you want a second opinion from a company that makes the rev limiters???[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

lol

RCOOP - If you are really looking for someone to specifically give you the answer you want..........I would e-mail RWR. That is the company that offers the box without the rev-limiter. Most likely they have already come up with all the justifications for not using one while developing their promotion of the product. Might save you some time in making your point even if it does nothing to get closer to the truth.

Just a thought[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I don't see where i was making a point only asking a question and bringing in outside info. I'm not sure where you bashing RWR and naming them helps any of this. We were talking about nitrous and hitting the rev limiter and there product does not have one. Does the Ds only fire on the compression stroke ?

Old 12-19-2006, 09:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Carry on without me, rcoop. I made my point.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-19-2006, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider

Good info, and good bantar here. There was no bashing of RWR, Rcoop notice the title of this thread....Wood CDI and NOSS.....Or was SLC650 referring to a CDI made of wood or plastic being better to run on Noss [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-19-2006, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by: rcoop

lol

I don't see where i was making a point only asking a question and bringing in outside info. I'm not sure where you bashing RWR and naming them helps any of this. We were talking about nitrous and hitting the rev limiter and there product does not have one. Does the Ds only fire on the compression stroke ?
No, it fires on every cycle, but of course you knew that[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] But, the difference is there is no compression, the fuel has left the cylinder (for the most part), and its only course is to try and burn whats left(as I stated before). Now it could trail the fuel out the pipe(like I stated before), but I dont think even if it does it creates too much harm. Now even if it did fire a decent amount of fuel left in the cylinder, it just spins it around even faster, in which it will do the same thing and cut the ignition on the next stroke, and we are back to square one.
Now as for a Woods cdi, I have one engine out that has now ran a full year with a 20 shot and a Woods cdi. It still runs fine. There is nothing stating that if you run a Woods cdi, that you will blow your motor if you spray. I am just stating that there is more of a chance to float valves with no rev limit. Now the timing on the box is just an entirely different animal. In the previous disscussion, we were talking about recreation bikes, atleast I think we were, and my statements still hold true. Now if your after a full race bike, you want everything you can get, and if you can make it work with high comp, big shot of nos, and advanced timing, he!! ya git-r-done! But most of us want a fudge factor, and compression and timing is the easiest things to remove. IMO of course.