CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

carb help.. please

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 07:37 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carb help.. please

first off, my air screw stripped when i tried to adjust it. What in the world do i do now?
secondly, i just rejetted with a dj needle, dj 190, uni filter, and a slip on. But here is the question, am i am little confused on which jet is the main. I replaced the stock jet(that was located under the passage that the big needle pushes into. is this where the main jet goes?) or am i worng where the main jet goes. It just that i was reading a thread and it seemed as if the "needle jet" (the one under the needle) was not the main. please help

Old 03-13-2006, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider

Maybe Im not understanding what you mean. Here is where the main jet is. Remove the float bowl. There is a brass tube with a few holes in it sticking down from the bottom of the carb. Unscrew the the tube and the main jet is inside of that. Simply replace it with your new jet. Im not really sure what to do about the stripped air screw. You might take it to a machine shop to have it removed. Im not familar with the dyno jet kits and what the conversion is on jet size. a 195 mikuni jet is far to big for you setup. 172.5 to 175 would be my guess. If the float bowl has never been removed you will run into some problems getting the screws out. Best way is to remove the carb from the bike and get it on the bench. Use a proper size screw driver and a small set of vise grips on the side of the screw heads. They are in there very tight and it will strip the screw heads. another way is to dremel off the screw heads, remove the bowl and use pliers to turn the screws out. Yet another way (my favorite) Take a sharp chisel and at a 45 degree angle on on half of the screw head give it a couple of good whacks, They usually break loose real easy. replace the screws with 5mm allen head screws. It will make life far easier in the future. It kinda sound like you have your main jet where your idle jet is.

Old 03-13-2006, 11:42 PM
Trailblazer

ok, i just took the carb apart and here is what i am saying. looking at the bottom, there are 3 holes for jets. I have my dj jet in the hole that the needle comes into. upon removing the aftermarket jet, i can see the needle recessed down inside the tube. but, there are two other jets, one to the left and one to the bottom of this area i am talking about. so, is my aftermarket jet in the right place? or is the area where the needle drops into the wrong place for the main jet?

Old 03-14-2006, 01:05 AM
Pro Rider

The jet that hangs down the most is the main jet. Yes it is in the same place as the needle. The stock one should have a 165 on it. The other jets are the starter jet(looks like the main jet) and the long thin one is the pilot jet. Also the bowl screws would be one 4x10mm and three 4x12mm.

Old 03-14-2006, 02:49 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Which part of the screw is stripped? The threads or the slot for the screwdriver?

Old 03-14-2006, 04:16 PM
Trailblazer

well first off, the part where the screwdriver goes stripped, then i used a dremel to cut the flat head mark a bit deeper in hopes of getting it out, but then it broike and destroyed the threads and the brass from the bolt is fused to the metal of the carb. i guess i am gonna get a new carb, ive wanted one anyway, i guess now is a good time.. MIkuni tm45 or lectron??

Old 03-14-2006, 06:27 PM
Pro Rider

If you are going to get a new carb. You have to decided which carb suits you better. For trail riding to duning I would go with the TM45, for duning to drag racing I would go with the HV46.

Old 03-14-2006, 06:33 PM
Pro Rider

Think about what carb you want. Check around the "What's in your garage?" thread and you might be able to find someone stumbling on a stock carb, a TM45 or the HV46. They might be willing to let you clean it out cheap. Also, keep an eye on ebay, stock carbs go for about 60 on there, so keep an eye open!

Old 03-14-2006, 06:57 PM
Trailblazer

good deal... re the aftermarket carbs really worth the money. I can get a lectron 44 from mr. hp for 350, then 35 for the cable and 40 for the twist throttle. is this worth it. are the gains really that good. I mean its just that spending almost 500 bucks makes me wonder abouth the benifits of the product. (driveability, relibility, power vs stock, and bang for the buck)

Old 03-15-2006, 04:55 PM
Pro Rider

I don't have any personal experience with the Lectron but if I kept my DS I would have gone that direction. Don't forget the ported intake.

Quick Reply: carb help.. please