CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

THIS IS A CRY FOR HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006 | 10:21 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default THIS IS A CRY FOR HELP!!!!

this has been a topic that has been touched on before but now it has happened to me! i was beat in about 7 drag races in a row by a stock raptor........ yes stock. before i ask for help and advice here is the scenario. i have a ds with hi-comp piston and ported intake....those are the only motor mods. i have a hmf pipe, uni filter,.. as far as motor goes i would think that should be sufficient to beat this rappy. i have beat them before.???? this guy has been wanting to race me for awhile and since i ride trails mostly and so does he i finally said ok lets go race. now first of all me and this guy are friends, but now that he beat me all i hear is.... if you need pulled out of the woods let me know and other crap like that. it is making me sick... this raptor is bone stock.... pipe and all! my ds is loaded with stuff like aluminum belly skid and swinger skid, handguards, so i know that i have some extra weight. i also have radiator shrouds. could they create that much wind resistence?.. now i do have 22 in. tires that are 6 ply but i have a 15 tooth front sprocket as well. in the races i would launch from second and be on the rev limiter quick but after about 25 ft. he would pull past and beat me by at least a bike length every time. my buddy has a ds that is totally stock except for a tm45 that is jetted down since he has a stock pipe and even a stock endcap on it. (he got it that way a week ago) his ds was beating the rappy by a bikes length. i rode the other ds with the tm45 and i beat the rappy too. WTF!!!! i would think that even though i have 22 6ply tires the fact that i have turned down hubs, the extra spinning weight would be equaled out. i also would think that since the other ds has a tm45 that is tuned way down for the stock pipe would be no more powerful than my ds with its mods... this is really bothering me and i know it should'nt be..... help, please....... what do i need that is affordable? i plan to get a cdi soon. what else can i do? oh and the guy with the craptor weighs about the same as me.... is my bike slow or what? i thought it was quick but now that a bone stock raptor beat my mildly modded bike i just dont know. even the ds with the pea-shooter stock pipe beat this guy and since i beat the raptor too on the other ds my bike is hanging its head... any and all draggers??? whats the deal?

Old 03-21-2006 | 10:35 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

First of all you give up approx 70lbs to a raptor right off the showroom. With all the added accessories, Im sure the weight difference is much greater. Those trail tires probably aint helping matters either. But if your gonna keep all of your trail riding accessories I advise you to invest in some power producing go fast parts. Simple bolt-ons will get it done.

Old 03-21-2006 | 10:45 AM
|
Pro Rider

choose, i knew you would chime in.... thanx. do you think a cdi would make a difference, maybe the advanced timing and higher rev limit? like i said it was a bikes length everytime.

Old 03-21-2006 | 10:49 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BOMBSAINT
choose, i knew you would chime in.... thanx. do you think a cdi would make a difference, maybe the advanced timing and higher rev limit? like i said it was a bikes length everytime.
Im sure the CDI wouldnt hurt. But, I think a tire change would make up the difference because the 6 plys are killing ya.

Old 03-21-2006 | 10:50 AM
|
Pro Rider

the other ds with the tuned down tm45 has the same tires and was beating him?

Old 03-21-2006 | 10:50 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

Frist presuming you still have stock rear sprocket since you didn't specifiey im going to say with a 15 up front your giving it up in gearing. Thats why you take him out of the hole and he out gears you From there. I don't care how much woods ridng one dose 15 tooth is a low gear and will cost you at max speeds .aprox 4 miles per hour thats your bike and a half put on a 17 and go get your miles per hour back. No motor work needed set up is the key to winning. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-21-2006 | 10:54 AM
Elite Pro Rider

i had 2 ds's at one time (divorce) and i put a stage 2 in mine and line up with my stock one and lost, kind of frustrating , but it need to be tuned better. try a 42 rear sprocket.

Old 03-21-2006 | 10:56 AM
|
Pro Rider

hey azsand, i thought that to run the heavier tires i needed to run the 15 tooth sprocket?? would i be fine with the stock 16 tooth and the big heavier tires for trails? and yes i do have the stock rear sprocket... sorry i forgot that in the original post.

Old 03-21-2006 | 10:58 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

1 went back to my gearing calculator and in stock form only with your gear ratio aginst his stock you were giving up a total of 8 miles per hour in 4-5th gears THATS UGLY DUDE......... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 03-21-2006 | 10:58 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I apologize, I didnt catch in your post where you were killing him on take off. But yes, I agree with AZ, gear it up and go get him. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]