CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

efi and pipe

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default efi and pipe

i am thinking about putting a slip on on the outy 800, but i am confused with the efi

does anyone know a good pipe and will the efi automatically adjust itself or do i need to do something

Old 03-27-2006, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider
Default efi and pipe

You will never be able to tune it. Buy a $700 can and get used to pops, dead spots, and people looking at you funny.

What you get can NEVER be improved upon. Get used to it. They never made a gas V Rotax model, so you can't switch carb and cams. Its a utility tractor never meant to improve its performance. It will do fine racing farmers. They may even make you carry 2 sacks of feed to make it even.

But like you already know, the carb situation is no picnic either, but its doable though if you've got the intestinal fortitude to stick with it (Gordon Soley, 1973).

Old 03-28-2006, 01:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default efi and pipe

Chirochris don't listen to that guy he obviously has his own problems. I know we gave each other a hard time on some other threads but it's all in fun[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] At the Clash I got a chance to race 2 800 outi's both had a slip on and a fuel module. Both ran very well with no sputtering or any of that crap. I don't know the name of the fuel module for sure. I think it was a dobeck, which I probably misspelled. The Outi that belonged to The Bomb had stock tires, like I did, and was driven by his wife on the day before the races. It ran well and gave me a good run with me giving away some serious weight. The other belonged to cc1999 and had the same mods but also had a good set of paddles on it. With a good set of paddles I think I could have made it a really close race. I'm not trying to make excuses I lost fair and square, but like anyone who races I think I can do better. Needless to say I have a great deal of respect for the 800 outi's now bombardier got it just right with this one. By the way I know I can take your stock 800 with my 700[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-28-2006, 06:39 AM
Pro Rider
Default efi and pipe

FASTFATBOY,

Thanks for your linked specifics. They may make a slipon that doesn't pop, but it means it didn't help anything flow. And those 'black' boxes will just make your mechanic rich, but do little for your performance. Psychologically maybe, your butt dyno will register a gain after you spend a few thousand dollars. EMS might be able to do something if they are interested, but it will take that level of expertise to do 'anything'. Otherwise, Show Me.

EFI is a hundred fold more difficult than carbs to tune, if not impossible. Read my lips Bombardier BMW 650 EFI (GS/CS/Dakar) have not been without dead spots at lower rpm for 6 years now. Maybe Bombardier learned some things, but unless you have at least a 45 degree incline into head with manifold and porting angles, the chances are significantly reduced. Still good top end and excellent gas mileage. But even though new design engine, 6 years and no improvement results is a poor record to 'assume' significant change will take place.

So all your warm fuzzy hype descriptions are just that and no more. Show Me.
But it is still 'Best in Its Class', so its better than what else is available in Utility vehicles.

Old 03-28-2006, 05:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default efi and pipe

yjacket,

i find that hard to beleive...if this where the case then quads like the rappy 700efi could not be modified and would fall off the race and performance end of riding...who would want a race bike that could not be modded?

i beleive you can definetely pipe an efi, i was wondering how and do i need to make adjustments of does it adjust itself

Old 03-28-2006, 05:26 PM
Pro Rider
Default efi and pipe

The EFI will adjust for altitude, and outside influences and keep you in tune. However it will not adjust on its own for increased airflow. There are people that can do it for you, but if multiple mods are in your future, you will want to pick up an ECU. With that you can adjust your fuel maps to be correct...

Old 03-28-2006, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default efi and pipe

Chriochris PM cc1999 he has one of the bikes I mentioned above. He dyno's after about every mod so he can more than likely tell you the exact hp and tq gain. I looked on ebay and there is a new hmf slip on and dobeck fuel module toghther for around $365 for your outi.

Old 03-28-2006, 08:29 PM
Pro Rider
Default efi and pipe

what did you look under on ebay..

i really am looking for a better sound out of it, thats all but some hp's couldnt hurt either

Old 03-28-2006, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default efi and pipe

I found it under "800 outlander". It's an hmf slip on with a dobeck fuel box with a buy it now price of $369.99. Happy shopping and enjoy the extra sound and performance. CC1999 told me that on the dyno his outi made 1 or 2hp more than his 800 twin peaks. That's with no nitrous, of course, and is pretty impressive seeing as how the twin peaks has most of the goodies like port work.