CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Boss noss NOS

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 07:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boss noss NOS

Never had much to do with NOS, why is the boss noss kit better than the others, is it basically because the pressure is regulated. I am thinking of giving the DS a squirt, how much can the 650 handle on a stock engine before it becomes a time bomb? I notice an injector in the end of the airfilter, is that where the NOS is injected or is there two injectors? My DS just has endcap and K&N and dynojet kit with a couple of stock carb mods.

Old 03-29-2006, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default Boss noss NOS

All the BOSS kits come with a 15HP shot. For the DS, on a stock piston, you can go up to 25hp max. You might want to just try 20hp. If you get a forged piston, then you can go much more.

There are several things which make the BOSS system better. Nitrous regulation of course is their claim to fame. They have a patent pending on it. I used a BOSS system on my quad last weekend, I was impressed. The other is the Micro Fuel Manager. When you tune in the system, the only variable is the fuel. The MFM is a valve that adds or subtracts fuel to fuel dumps placed usually between the carb and the motor right at the intake manifold. You can also place it at the air tube just at the carb. One valve adjusts everything to tune it in. The other is the system does not use your existing carb to add more fuel. Therefore, there is no button time limitation. The last improvement is the Smart Box. Its a box with one electrical connection. Inside the box are the nitrous and gas solinoids. Both are factory wired and all connections are soldered. Therefore, there is no possibility of one of the solinoids going out without the other.

Thats it in a nutshell -

Old 03-29-2006, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default Boss noss NOS

Thanks for the quick reply Mark, sounds like it is a simple setup and what would you recommend , a 15hp shot? Said to myself I would not touch the DS after blowing my raptor up but that was 2 years ago, just need to beat those raptor700,s when I need too.

Gav

Old 03-29-2006, 10:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Boss noss NOS

Gav, go to a 20 shot. Dont think you will be impressed by the 15, and you will buy the 20 anyhow. Dialed in correctly, you will have no issues on a stock motor. I would throw in one step colder plug just for precaution.

Old 03-30-2006, 11:25 AM
Pro Rider
Default Boss noss NOS

For the stock DS, 20HP is fine. A little more octane than your stock piston recommends is also a good thing.

Old 03-30-2006, 11:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Boss noss NOS

Originally posted by: OregonDunePatrol
For the stock DS, 20HP is fine. A little more octane than your stock piston recommends is also a good thing.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-30-2006, 11:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Boss noss NOS

How much juice can a forged 13:1 piston handle? Boondocker used to advertise 100 hp gains safely at the touch of a button. I haven't heard of anyone running more than a 30 shot so far.

Old 03-30-2006, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider
Default Boss noss NOS

Thats funny that BD would say that. Officially, when I worked for BD, we would let the builder decide how much HP the motor could take. But, many systems can boost way up, up to the max of the NOSS system, but the motor simply cant take the extra HP. Again, simply depends on how the motor is built. Some of the custom systems we put together can boost a huge amount. In fact, I have a very famous sled in the shop right now that has a front mount turbo and NOSS together. The total will probably be around 350hp with the turbo and NOSS combined. Thats on an APEX 1000 motor built to take the HP.

Old 03-30-2006, 12:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Boss noss NOS

LOL, They were probably referring to small block Chevy's. I am looking to purchase a Boss Noss system in the next couple of months for my 730. At 13:1 I want to know how much to run on race day.

So if I understand you correctly, the motor is the limiting factor. Lets say a stock DS motor is only good for 100 hp total. If you take a stock motor and put a good forged piston in it but it still only makes 45 hp, you might be able to run a 50 shot or more (assuming the head can move it all through). If you build a normally aspirated engine up to 75 hp you might be on the ragged edge by running a 25 or 30 shot, not so much because of the volitility of the fuel mixture but because of the motor's physical limitations?

I just pulled these hp numbers out of my..............hat. They don't mean anything except to help me ask the question. Why are the big boys only running 25 or 30 shots on a DS motor?

Old 03-30-2006, 12:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Boss noss NOS

Very good questions Ron. Im eager to hear the answers. Im currently running a 20shot on my stock engine and that should put me around the 80hp range. Now with a good piston & stiffer valve springs, Im wanting to bump it up to atleast a 30shot. Really a 35shot if possible. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Boss noss NOS