CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

piston install???

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 09:20 AM
Pro Rider
Runs a 730 kit from OMW with web109's and a 48mm lectron. It has some serious torque!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default piston install???

i've only been draining whatever oil comes out of the plug directly underneith the engine. where is the other plug?

Old 04-03-2006, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider

The other plug is on the oil tank under the light. It has a square pipe plug in it.

Old 04-05-2006, 09:31 AM
Pro Rider
Runs a 730 kit from OMW with web109's and a 48mm lectron. It has some serious torque!

another quick question. is it nessacary to use a ring compressor tool to get the rings on the piston? my dad says it is, but im wondering if u need to use one or not

Old 04-05-2006, 01:45 PM
Pro Rider

Mr. DS650powe, your making us all scratch our heads right about now. Thinking, this job is over your head "for now". I dont want to come off like a jerk here but if you dont know how to put rings on a piston how did you and your friend work on ATV's in this depth before?? And to not know where the 2 oil drains are on your DS is also very interesting and bad bad bad. Do some searching on this forum about oil changes and they will explain how messy the oil tank drain can be, but you have to do it.

If you plan on doing this piston install, I suggest you take it apart SLOW and pay very close attention to every bolt (some are upside down under the bottom of the head!!). Its not so easy because you have dual cams and a chain (zip tie that up) to play with and the guides inside. Then you have to figure out what your going to do to physically remove the head and the jug, meaning notching the frame and grinding the head mount boss down some or pulling the engine mount bolts out and tilting the engine forward. Then after you get the jug out i would take it to a machine shop with your piston and rings and have them do a slight hone and gap (call HPR or JE for that gap) your rings for ya. Shop cost me like $20 bucks. Then putting it back together with a inch pound torque wrench for all the 89 inch pound bolts. Dont just ball park it and yell out "click".... no dont do that. You can use the typical foot pound torque wrench for the 4 main bolts. Just dont rush into this job no matter how excited you are about getting in there. Just think of how unhappy you will be if it grenades because you forgot to put that other snap ring in! Take pics with a digital camera on tear down and on rebuild.....clear pics of snap rings and all.

Old 04-06-2006, 09:38 AM
Pro Rider

only reason i asked about a ring compression tool was because my dad was telling me i needed to use one to get the rings on, the person i am having help me put the piston in said its not nessacary to use the tool. and the person that is helping me is a mechanic so he pretty much knows everything to do with pulling a piston and such, i just ask specific questions to gain more knowledge about what i need to do and that way i can contribute a little to the install.

Old 04-06-2006, 01:59 PM
Pro Rider

Like I said, I dont mean to come off as a jerk. The reason I said the things I did was from your previous posts pointed at 2 guys tearing into a job and didnt know if you need a compressor to put rings on.

I would have to say that if you asked the question in a way more like "How do I put piston rings on the piston without ruining them?" My answer would have been different. Like Hightower said : (rings have a torsional bend to them - they must be installed the right side up - they all will have something etched on them indicating the top side, either letters or numbers, but whatever marking is on the ring indicates the up side.) Plus you need to identify the different rings (use the paper the piston comes with) then you set the ring on top of the piston and gently tweak one of the open part into the grove and use your common sence to roll your finger along to have it sprial in all the way around. Your buddy will show you, dont do that alone (your first time). Putting the piston in the jug (this is where a ring compressor would normally be used, I used my fingers and didnt force it) is best done from the top and only let just enough of the piston out of the bottm to connect the piston to the rod with the pin and CLIPS (you can put one of those clips in the piston before taking the jug and piston to the bike). Make sure your gasket surfaces are clean of everything. Put some trans fluid on the walls of the cylinder for inital startup.

Even on the JE site the directions are very basic and are not specific to your application. I just did this install and the piston part of the job was easy. The head removal within the frame rails was a bitch and so was the chain...even with the chain tensioner removed. You have to be patient with the chain and chain guides to get enough slack to remove the cams...without damaging the cams.

I have a thread on here when I did my piston install, search Piston Install

Old 04-15-2006, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider

ok finally got the piston in the mail today, JE makes car pistons so these ring gap specs are kind of confusing, i need to know which one to use, "high perf. street strip, street moderate(turbo)(nitrous), late model stock, circle track/drag. this is the only thing that showed ring gap specs, so i kind of want to know what specs u guys with a je piston used, thanks a bunch

Old 04-15-2006, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

Mine are set to .20 gap.

Read my thread on the same thing your doing....

Read this thread

Old 04-16-2006, 01:51 PM
Elite Pro Rider

do you have a manual? if not i'd stop right now, there are all kinds of things you are getting into. do you know about locking the crank into place, do you have any info on cam timing, it's all very easy with the right info, very confusing without, you may know this and may not but be sure you have the piston in right the intake side and exhaust side, don't want to take a chance with them valves, and if you get the timing 180 out all things might get ugly. good luck.

Old 04-16-2006, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider

yeah i ordered a shop manual from my local dealer when i ordered the gaskets, i wouldnt even think about attempting this without the manual

Quick Reply: piston install???