CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Lets talk drag paddles!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 12:04 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lets talk drag paddles!

Nut, thats what i'm after. The rippers were at the top of my list, you just saved me money.

Scott, I hear ya. Most people run to many paddles for our hill. Its just like you running on the flats. Turn a heavy bike up a steep hill, it does the same thing. My 8 paddles are good on the top of the hill, but spin way to hard on the bottom. Now that I have changed everything about my bike, I dont know.

Old 04-03-2006, 10:31 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from what i hear you dont weigh half as much as me so with this new head i dont see you having any problems running as many paddals as you want. i have those 2 big bores and i was able to pull oldsmobile hill at glamis with bth bikes but the one with the 25 would start dieing off with me on it about 3 quarters of the way up. i made it but not like i wanted it to. but then again i did not want to regear the bike so that was with the stock gearing also.

Old 04-03-2006, 10:49 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol, I do weigh about half of what you do. I understand what your saying, and once you see the hill in Utah you will also. Hope your feeling better.

Old 04-03-2006, 10:57 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Jed, its gonna take some very serious hp to run the rippers on flat drags, much less on the hill. I think a good set of extremes will have you set up. You will know more about the number of paddles than I do because I have never ran a hill before. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-03-2006, 12:35 PM
Pro Rider

Heres my take. I run 25s and 22s. I run flats and no hills. Just none out this way much but I love the 25s out in the dunes in just heads up racing. If the sand is rough deep the 25s always give me an advantage. The 22s work better on a groomed track. My 25s are 10 paddle extremes and my 22s are only nine so Im about to get 12 or better. Id say the only way to be safe would be to get some buds with different tires together and do a tire comparison. I am geared down one tooth in the front for the second gear launches. Probably no need for that with the 22s. I only run triple buffs and I buy them from Jims Sand Toys right down the street from Little Sahara in Ok.

Old 04-03-2006, 01:50 PM
Pro Rider

Just to give you a bit of FYI on the whole weight of the tire thing. Crash20 and I were both running 22" Sand Stars, and he was killing me in the flat drags. I went to 22" 8 paddle Extream Haulers (thank you BigD) and whooped his skinny butt every time. We found out why yesterday. The 22" Sand Stars on red lable rims weigh 5pounds more per tire then the Haulers on Black Lable. That was 10 pounds of rotating mass as far away from center as you can get. In fact the 22" Stars weigh a few ounces more then the stockers. Scary!!!!!!!!!

PS, Crash20 is very torked by that and is probobly watching this thread very closly [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-03-2006, 02:26 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DragonDJ11
Just to give you a bit of FYI on the whole weight of the tire thing. Crash20 and I were both running 22" Sand Stars, and he was killing me in the flat drags. I went to 22" 8 paddle Extream Haulers (thank you BigD) and whooped his skinny butt every time. We found out why yesterday. The 22" Sand Stars on red lable rims weigh 5pounds more per tire then the Haulers on Black Lable. That was 10 pounds of rotating mass as far away from center as you can get. In fact the 22" Stars weigh a few ounces more then the stockers. Scary!!!!!!!!!

PS, Crash20 is very torked by that and is probobly watching this thread very closly [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Well then do I have a treat for you, I wonder what almost 30lbs less of rotating mass is gonna do! Your right "scary"

Motor is almost back together, Piston and jug is on, head is on, just little stuff now. Im missing the washer thats on the cam chain tensioner plug and exhaust gaskets (should be here today or tomorrow). Just need to reinstall the clutch basket and clutch button her up add some oil and water and push the button to see if she will start for me!

Old 04-03-2006, 04:39 PM
Pro Rider

Dragon is right i am watching this one. It was really surprising yesterday when we weighed those. The stars are a great tire in the 22's i really like them, but they do just weigh too much. I am really ready to toss those out and get some like dragon has..I have rode his bike and I am really impressed with the handling of those tires. The bike will turn when you want it to, but yet off the line you still have plenty of hook up to launch and drag the hills. As for striaght up hill climging they are nice, ,but I still wonder if the stars don't climb a little better. Last ask Dragon bout this one, but the stars do side hill a whole lot better..DON'T THEY DRAGON!

Old 04-03-2006, 04:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Viper, you asked about the brats....so, I just thought I would let you know that I picked up atleast 2 bikes at the holeshot with just swapping from the haulers to the 9-paddle brats in a fine sand. I do think the haulers hook up better in the heavier/coarse sand. But again...as far as running the hills, I dont have a clue...thats why when I come out that way for DS Days, Im gonna have a trailer full of tires, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-03-2006, 05:38 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Crash20
Dragon is right i am watching this one. It was really surprising yesterday when we weighed those. The stars are a great tire in the 22's i really like them, but they do just weigh too much. I am really ready to toss those out and get some like dragon has..I have rode his bike and I am really impressed with the handling of those tires. The bike will turn when you want it to, but yet off the line you still have plenty of hook up to launch and drag the hills. As for striaght up hill climging they are nice, ,but I still wonder if the stars don't climb a little better. Last ask Dragon bout this one, but the stars do side hill a whole lot better..DON'T THEY DRAGON!
He is correct, with my weight and lack of Torque in the ride the Haulers do not side hill like the Stars did. So with that in mind, just make sure you have plenty of good spots to bail out of the side hill, or it gets really bumMmMmMmMmMmMpyYyYyYyY

BTW, sorry Viper I kind of half hijacked your thread!!!!

Quick Reply: Lets talk drag paddles!