CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Why do you think the DS is under rated ? ? ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 06:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do you think the DS is under rated ? ? ?

My buddy just bought a new YFZ, nice quad but with all that power it just feels too small.

The one absolute is that if you took a YFZ, Raptor 700 and a DS650X, rolled each down an embankment there is zero doubt in my mind that the DS would be the only one with a fighting chance of being able to be ridden away, I guess thats the price you pay for the lightness of aluminum to the strength of steel.

Old 04-09-2006, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider

My new YFZ spanks ALL the (stock) competition through the woods. I dread the day I hit a tree the same way I've nailed them with my DS. I have flipped over the handlebars more times than I can count or like to admit. Only 2 of those times did I need a front end. The othe times I was able to continue.
Too bad BRP has dragged it's feet in the sport arena. My dealer said they test for 3 years on a new model before releasing it to the public. That, to me, is quality driven mentality.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, when BRP comes out with a sport quad for my sport, I will buy it.

Old 04-09-2006, 07:41 PM
Pro Rider

my take on this is it is your typical stereo typing of the bike just as with a big fat person. they are big , bulky, and once they get infront of you there so large you cant get around them just like the guy at the grocery store. hes blocking almost the whole dang isle and you run 2 isles over and speed to the end so you can get around. its the same way with the ds. people judge the bike on looks alone just as many do with the obese ones. i know what im talking about on this one i guess you can say i was a professional with alot of experience, 5 years ago i bulked up to an amzing 500 lbs so i know what im talking about on this one. you take a ds and make it more stream line without the big old flair rear fender put some meaty tires on the back and the same people who put it down are getting them.

Old 04-09-2006, 08:27 PM
Range Rover

Okay, I was reading the last page of posts about how the DS does not have reverse and it is quite heavy to move around in the woods. Just to give my other .02, I have been hearing it all about no reverse, no reverse, no reverse!! YOU DO NOT NEED REVERSE ON THE DS!!!!!!!!!!!! I ride all woods and tight trails with big rocks and fallen trees and lots of brush. I have been all over the east coast riding to include the Hatfield McCoy trails in West Virginia. Those of you who have been there know that the hills are really steeeep and the woods are really thiiiiick. Since the DS weighs almost 500 pounds it is easy to break your own trails even in the thickest of woods. I have gone places with my DS that guys won't even attempt to go with the Honda Fourtrax, Honda Rincon, Kawasaki Prarie, Kawasaki Brute Force, Polaris Sportsman etc... Just simply go off of the "designated trail" and make your own trail to turn around in. If you come up to a fallen tree (not a giant) go over it. If you know how to ride, you won't have a problem going through that type of stuff without hurting your DS at all!! You may get some scratches on the plastic, but who cares. Look at my pics, mine looks just fine. I have NEVER been stuck to the point where I couldn't "turn around" somewhere. Also, as far as getting up off of the bike to turn it around, stop being sissy's. I am only 5'07" and I weigh 165 pounds. I HAVE NO PROBLEM turning my bike around by myself in the middle of a hill or in the woods if need be. Also, you have to use more body english on the DS since it does weigh more than say a 450R or YFZ, but what's the problem. If you want "luxeries" like reverse and an easy to handle ATV, get your A$$E$ on a utility machine and leave the speed to guys that can handle it. In my opinion I feel more pride than anyone on the smaller bikes at the end of a ride because I know that I had to actually work the bike and didn't let the bike work me. I didn't need the reverse and the lightweight to enjoy myself. I earned my body aching by riding with a purpose. I remember when ATC's and ATV's didn't even have reverse........this is the type of thing that gets me going. Everyone just wants everything easy these days. What's wrong with actually working for something and feeling a little bit of pride at the end of the day. And for those of you who think I might have an "old school attitude", think again. I'm only 27. I just feel that today's "corporate america (want everything for nothing/hooray for me and fu@! you) attitude" is killing the spirit of the way man was meant to be. So I may be getting a little carried away about the whole thing, but just stop whining and work for your enjoyment. You don't need reverse and you don't need lightweight. The only reason you would need the DS on a diet is on the MX track. Other than that, go and cry somewhere else!!!

Old 04-09-2006, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider

nice and to the point.

Old 04-09-2006, 08:37 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I started on my husband DS before it was his it was mine and like I said before I never had a problem either I do have a Predator now but it is a 03 no reverse either. I don't need it either. I know that the YFZ and the 450R don't have reverse but I am 5'9" and not telling my weight but I can handle it. Come on boys I know you can too. Thanks for helping me outon this one

Old 04-09-2006, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider

You don't need reverse and you don't need lightweight. The only reason you would need the DS on a diet is on the MX track. Other than that, go and cry somewhere else!!!
>>>>>>>>>

Maybe YOU don't need reverse and maybe YOU don't need a lighter quad

I just feel that today's "corporate america (want everything for nothing/hooray for me and fu@! you) attitude" is killing the spirit of the way man was meant to be.>>>>>

I don't see where this has ANYTHING to do with this thread. How was man MEANT to be? If you don't like the whining don't read the thread.

Old 04-09-2006, 08:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

albabomb, calm down bro! Of course you don't NEED reverse. I don't have it on either of my current rides, and the only time I miss it is in the mud or snow, both things I try to avoid when possible anyway. The question is "Why do you think the DS is underrated ? ? ?" It's a fact, many people, myself included, ruled out the DS due to size, weight, and lack of reverse. It has great power and legendary comfort(someplace my Yammie still needs some work in, BTW[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]) I wish BRP would make a few more tweaks to the DS so it would sell better. I also can't wait for them to release something along the lines of the 450's or Pred/Outlaw. Now that would be tasty.

Old 04-09-2006, 09:07 PM
Range Rover

Okay.........your right maybe "I" don't need reverse and "I" don't need lightweight. But then again "I" am not one for getting all of the "luxuries" either. So, maybe "YOU" need reverse and "YOU" need lightweight.........if that is correct then get rid of your DS and go buy something else that "YOU" need.

As far as the I just feel that today's "corporate america (want everything for nothing/hooray for me and fu@! you) attitude" is killing the spirit of the way man was meant to be......... I meant that I feel all of the writers in these ATV magazines don't actually ride ATV's the way they were meant to be ridden. They will find anything they can to complain about and it is just BULL$HIT! I remember reading a dirt wheels in 03' talking about the DS is WAY too wide to take on trails and WAY too heavy to take on trails. Let's just think about this for a minute.........If the DS is WAY too wide to take on trails then why the hell aren't the new utilities too wide to take on the trails??? I never heard that come out of any magazines article........do you know why?? Because that's the way the utilities are supposed to be, but if you look at the specs on most of them they are just as wide as a DS if not wider. So when I say the "corporate america" attitude, I am talking about all of the people that sit down around a conference table and discuss what the magazine is "supposed to translate" and what the readers are looking for and what will make the magazine more popular or create more revenue. They don't really have ATV's they ride on a daily basis and actually use like we do. They just have a job that looks cool to other people by saying "I am a journalist for such and such magazine" They are just guys that went to college for journalism not for the ins and outs of ATV's and the off road industry. They just happened to land a job at the magazine because they saw the ad on monster.com and found out that they know somebody that knows somebody that knew someone else back in 83'. The magazines are all about trying to please the majority of the readers. It just so happens that the majority of the readers all ride Honda's, Suzuki's, Kawasaki's and Yamaha's. Well wouldn't you just know that the majority of the readers own ATV's that are lightweight and have reverse too! So there you have it.........you are questioning my statement as if I am totally wrong, but when you really stop to think about it (if you comprehended it this time around)...you are just adding wood to the fire and backing up the people that didn't really work to get where they are, therefore I can only assume that you might one of them.

As far as what man was supposed to be............if you notice these days that america wants to mold todays man into a sissified politicly correct being that just turns the other cheek in a situation where they should be sticking up for themselves. Just think about it. All of the commercials you see these days about using the "for men" collection of face scrub, face wash, eye cream and lufa's for hygeine. Are you really that blind that you can't understand what it is I am trying to say?? Do you realize that these days, most men will call someone at Lowe's to install the new washer and dryer and to build a deck or install a door?? It's because today's man is becoming too lazy to actually earn something and have the "corporate america attitude" So I think maybe I've gone into as much detail that is necessary for everyone to understand.

Old 04-09-2006, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider

you are just adding wood to the fire and backing up the people that didn't really work to get where they are, therefore I can only assume that you might one of them.
>>>>>>>>>

Careful what you assume. You're making an entire too big of a deal out of this and taking the subject WAY off topic here with these rants. I've worked for the same company 19 years now, NOT that I have any reason to validate myself to someone such as yourself who "assumes" wrong.

Quick Reply: Why do you think the DS is under rated ? ? ?