CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Why do you think the DS is under rated ? ? ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 11:52 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do you think the DS is under rated ? ? ?

Hi Guys,
It's kind of slow around here so I just though I'd ask why the Off road / ATV industry generaly think the DS 650 is underrated ? in speed, power, suspension, and general over all performance.
I mean I subscribe to Quad & DW mags read the articles and they go on and on and on about the latest and greatest bikes from stock to completely Moddified.
The way I see it with the price tags being what they are primarily only the older croud can afford the $ 7+K range bikes anyway. Not to mention the trailers and trucks needed to get the out to the riding areas.
The DS is so flexiable to be a top notch Drag racer and Great Duner / Trail quad I just don't understand why they don't get more coverage ?
Is it realy all about dollars spent in the Mags by the Manufacturers ?
The DS just always seems like the under dog but in all intent and purposes the DS is as good as and even better than the Yamaha's/Suzuki's, Polaris ....in there respective areas. (Again Only my personal opnion)
I am not looking to start up any Flame wars here but man I am realy happy with my bike and wish others would see the light. (No I don't use a Macintosh, I am PC guy)
Well let me know what you think.
-Later

Old 04-07-2006, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider

The big three (Honda,Yamy,Zuk) drop major dollars in ads in those mags... plus the aftermarket is based on those mufacturers. Thats all it comes down to. IMO Anyone who knows anything respects the Bomb... after we mop the competition this weekend we will comand respect. Lets go boys.

Old 04-07-2006, 12:07 PM
Pro Rider

FatHolly,
Man we got to get togather and do some riding.
I am planning a trip to Butter Cup/ Gordons April 28th hopefully with the new Toybox.
Let me know if your interested.
I am itching to try out the lightened hubs, 520 chain sproket kit, and Velosity air filter.
We got to show my Rappy 686 friend what is up. All that money he is still slower than me. Mr. Stock bore.
He is such a BSer but I can't hear him vary well when I have to keep turning around at the top of the hill looking for him.
-Lets get to gether some time... kids family ... its all good.

Old 04-07-2006, 12:26 PM
Pro Rider

Because the guys that do the testing for these mags, are wimpy little panzies that going crying to thier moma when they see the Big Bad Bomb... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-07-2006, 01:07 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I agree with fatholly it is all about the money. As for others they just don't know what they are missing they always say it is to big and to heavy to do anything. Well I can do just as much as them and in alot more comfort than them. I will never regret getting the DS ever.

Old 04-07-2006, 01:34 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ILivSD
FatHolly,
Man we got to get togather and do some riding.
I am planning a trip to Butter Cup/ Gordons April 28th hopefully with the new Toybox.
Let me know if your interested.
I am itching to try out the lightened hubs, 520 chain sproket kit, and Velosity air filter.
We got to show my Rappy 686 friend what is up. All that money he is still slower than me. Mr. Stock bore.
He is such a BSer but I can't hear him vary well when I have to keep turning around at the top of the hill looking for him.
-Lets get to gether some time... kids family ... its all good.
Man we are always a week off. I thought I was done this season but I am trying for one more trip the first week in May. I think the 7th for a day trip. I have a final for my current class on the 28th. Damn it! We're going to work this out at some point. I want to ride with some other DS's. Let me know if you might be out the next weekend on the 7th.

Old 04-07-2006, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider

Ya, the whole thing kills me. LOL because the DS is so under rated till you get out there and open her up then she really shines kind of like the SR71 Blackbird. Wide Open Throttle : - )
People raz me but I'm always the tow quad, I am always riding harder then anyone else out there going higher, faster, and steaper. I even notice I don't crash nearly as much as others ... maybe there something to be said for stability ... hummmm
I let my rappy friend rid my DS every now and then but they always come back with the same thing wow that thing is big and heavy... which is exactly what I want when I am pushing 70 + mph across the sand dunes.
O well its good to stand out in the crowd I guess.
I guess its kind of like seeing that other Rare Camaro owner like you. Far and few between.

Guess I never out grew the sand box. Let er RIP !

Old 04-07-2006, 01:44 PM
Pro Rider

It is sad the the ds does not get the full recognition it deserves. One thing I will add to you is yes it is stable, however there are a few of us that have perfected the wipe out with the ds. Those guys know who I am talking about. I am with you though. It is nice not to be like everyone else out on the dunes. You bring in the bomb and everyone stops and stares wanting to know what it is..What a great feeling...

Old 04-07-2006, 02:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mags always rave about the latest and greatest. It's what sells, what the average consumer wants to hear about. The fact of the matter is that the DS has changed only slightly over the years. With all the new models being released and updated models coming out, it is hard to justify articles that are basically going to read the same as they did last year, and the year before, and the one before that.

Old 04-07-2006, 02:14 PM
Pro Rider

I hear you but man the Banshee (now 20 yrs old) gets so much page time its rediclous.
I rode one last trip out to the dunes and quite frankly its an old design tried and true but old. Hard to start, not vary stable....bla bla you know.
Any way I know, I know the Mags are nothing but a (femail protitues who give it up for a buck) but come on.
The last thing I saw about a DS was the Turbo article... about 1/2 page in the back. Those guys blow I am giving up my subscription to DW mag. The Quad mag is much better.
I am just wishing others would see the light.
But O well there loss my gain I guess.

-Later

Quick Reply: Why do you think the DS is under rated ? ? ?