CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Major Oil Leak & Broken Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 06:55 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major Oil Leak

I changed the sprag clutch and everything went smoothly, then when i started it..it started blowing oil out of the breather.. alot of oil...I figured the rings must have gone out on me. But it has alot of power..I hold my finger over the end of the hose and there is no real pressure...At First the oil was a bit over ful..Now it is low..

I need to get it running...early May I am moving to Yellowstone National park..And I really want to take it along..Since I will be living an hour or so away from St.A's

Old 04-08-2006, 07:51 PM
Range Rover
Default Major Oil Leak

Well never mind..Now the transmission wont go into gear..It clicks into gear but nothing is there...
I have no more money for it...I gave up on it..

Old 04-08-2006, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default Major Oil Leak

Don't give up dude... do you have oil pressure? Is the oil black or is it fresh oil? Does it go into gear at all or does it slip out? What type of oil are you using? It seems to me that unless you did something to damage the rings they would have slowly deterioriated, not just gone all the sudden. Even if the rings are damaged new rings can be installed. The transmission thing could be the shift forks... that may be a pricey fix but maybe it could be something else. Keep your head up man.. someone around here will be able to help.

Old 04-09-2006, 03:35 PM
Range Rover
Default Major Oil Leak

It feels like it goes into gear..you have no clue until the clutch is released and it sits there..I was driving in third downshifted to second and since then nothing..I was driving through a perfectly smooth Hay field just idling along when i shifted.. I have been running Amsoil 0w-40.. The motor runs great.It starts right up and sounds good.and drove good for awhile...But there is so much crankcase pressure.....Only pressure when it is warm.. When i drove it around it barely leaks when it idles it is a stream.. I pulled the oil return line off to see if it was flowing good...and oil is definetly flowing..The oil is nice brown...I changed the oil twice as Much as needed..(perk of being friend of an amsoil dealer) It never burned oil or blackend it at all..

Would Valves be able to do this? I have neglected them..They are probably out of adjustment..

Old 04-09-2006, 04:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Major Oil Leak & Broken Transmission

Was it working fine before you changed the sprag clutch? How long had it been sitting before you changed the sprag clutch?

Also, you said oil was flowing out of the breather tube but there wasen't much pressure. If your compression rings are shot, you will have tremendous pressure along with the oil coming out of the breather.

Lets get some more information and see if we can diagnose the problem. St. A's will be worth the effort![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-09-2006, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

I would pull the side cover off and make sure one of the bolts holding the sprag to the mag didn't loosen up and the nut fell off into the tranny area. Oil streaming out of the breather tube at idle would lead me to believe the motor is holding to much oil. Maybe the oil pump that returns the oil to the oil tank is week and can only work correctly at higher RPM's.

Old 04-10-2006, 12:49 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Dude this is a big bombardment of issues! I'm very sorry for your luck.
I've not had to do any bottom end work, and I don't have access to my manual and prints right now, so all I can do is throw out some guesses to look into,

A steady stream of oil coming out just about has to mean there is too much oil remaining in the crankcase. yes its being pushed out by carnkcase pressure, so there is probably some ring wear and a little crankcase presure, but this is not at all uncommon, and regardless of crankcase pressure oil should not be positioned over the breather barb to get pushed out except for when the bike is rocked and sloshed around. now I don't know for sure, but is the drive gear for the oil pump on the stator side, or the clutch side? it may be that something went wrong under the side cover, either during assembly or afterwards, and the gear for the return oil pump is not turning. oil pump failure is not at all common - its so simple of a design that they just rarely die, not impossible but also not likely. I would look towards the gear and see what you see.

as for the tranny, I can't see how anything where you did your work could be at fault, it may be coincidence, or perhaps a failure due to insufficent oil flow from the other problem at hand. have you tried all the gears? the bike won't move in any of them? if so, then either it really isnt going into any gear due to a shifter malfunction, or it is in every gear but the tranny is not being turned by some kind of catostrophic failure in the link between the clutch.

Don't start the motor any more. you need to pull both side covers and also a spark plug to get rid of chamber pressure. put it into what you think is a gear, then turn the rear wheels and see if the clutch is turning, and if it is then see if the crank is turning. if nothing is turning no matter what gear, the problem is in the tranny.

on the other side, when turning the wheels in gear, if the crank is turning, is everything trunning that otta be? I'm just trying to help you rule out the external stuff that does not require engine pulling of case splitting, and hoping for the best for you.

Old 04-10-2006, 06:18 AM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: dsdrew
It feels like it goes into gear..you have no clue until the clutch is released and it sits there..I was driving in third downshifted to second and since then nothing..

This sounds like a clutch issue.A friend of mine did the same thing.
Im not saying it is.It just sounds the same.He changed the clutch and
was back in business.
Good luck getting it running right again.

Old 04-11-2006, 09:14 PM
Range Rover

I want to get it running so bad..But I am out of time... late April I have my finals for school...Early May I am taking My ASE Mechanic Tests..I have been so busy studying and working on class projects i just dont have the time....Which realls SUCKS..I dont know when I will ever get back out west...

The clutch has been slipping a little here and a little there...Could it just fail...On an easy 2-3 shift?

Old 04-12-2006, 06:44 AM
Pro Rider

The clutch has been slipping a little here and a little there...Could it just fail...On an easy 2-3 shift?[/quote]

That is exactly what his did.
Good luck with school.