CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

how did the monorails run

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how did the monorails run

ok enough said mono meaning one+ rail meaning rail down the bottom of the bike=monorail why not unirail im being serious .

Old 07-14-2006, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nut, I took a look at that picture of the monorail Ds.....man you have got to help me understand. I dont get it, whats the purpose?

Old 07-14-2006, 10:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 650VIPER
Nut, I took a look at that picture of the monorail Ds.....man you have got to help me understand. I dont get it, whats the purpose?
When Dave conceived the Monorail, he was trying to create the ultimate duner. Get off a banshee and get on a banshee monorail and it will feel like you got out of VW sandrail and into a longtravel Tech III. It would be kind of like getting off a YFZ450 and onto a DS for ride comfort. At the same time it took a banshee from 380 lbs to 250 lbs since it is all 4130 chromolly. Put a 70 hp 350 in it and it is formidable on any race hill. As a banshee, I really liked the idea and would love to have one[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

The concept was attempted on a DS. Unfortunately there are enough things on a DS besides the chassis that are not light and the lightest they could get the monorail was about 345 lbs. I have ridden the monorail in the picture and it rides very nice! You could hit a 12" curb at a pretty good clipat an angle or straight on and it would soak it up and you probably wouldn't spill your coffee. It handles whoops better than any quad. I have seen Josh stay seated wrapped out in 4th on the long whoop road at driftwood II. It is a nice invention with plenty of benefits, unfortunately it appeals to fairly narrow market because DS's already ride very nicely and this frame costs about $4k and as a race chassis it kills you because it isn't particularly light, has tons of suspension and forces you to run in open or modified classes which pits you against 600 hp turbo 'Busa's.

I can't think of a better chassis for St. A's but you would have to drop $4k plus all the other transitional parts and fabrication and the end result would be purely recreational[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Hope that helps[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

rcoop - I am glad to see your statement about what Jim intends to do with his monorail. That means he will be very happy with it..........as long as nothing unforseen comes up from mating that motor with that chassis. Even the goemetry is vastly different between the DS monorail and the Banshee monorail[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Good luck!

Old 07-14-2006, 10:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

IM NOT DOUGHTING DAVE DOSE GOOD WORK BUT HE CAN DO A BETTER JOB @ QUALITY CONTROL DO YOU WANT PICKS MR NUT I CAN SEND YOU PIC'S OF THE WACKED OUT FRONT END AND THE LONGER STRUT NEXT TOO THE OTHER ONE SO YOU CAN SEE THE METHOD OF COMPENSATING FOR POOR WORKMANSHIP??????
Sorry about the caps but i did not see they were on till too late and this typing thing is not easy so im not going to change it. And no the monorail is not the ultimate frame for drag racing but get this!!!!! anyone who buy's a monorail as the ultimate duner is a idiot it is too light weight i sent the front tie rods to heII in the frist trip out they are dangerous and thats all there is too it...it is not the ultimate olds hill shooter the whoops are too much for the structual build on the bike after what i did too the tie rods and shock mounts dont tell me its the ultimate olds shooter iive had to limit the travel and several other mods to make it liveable but i do belive it is better than stock for drag racing[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-14-2006, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

Aw, alright. I really couldnt see droping that kind of money on such a thing, but thats just me. If it was infact alot lighter, then yes. I picked up Az's bike at Ds days, and it was lighter, just not by much. But as Az said, it really didnt work out for the big whoops, but after some modification, it has become a good dragger. But still its not light.....?

Oh heck who am I kidding, I just thought it was ugly. I couldnt see spending that kind of money for a not so light frame, that really wont gain you a whole lot over stock.

Old 07-15-2006, 02:35 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 650VIPER
Aw, alright. I really couldnt see droping that kind of money on such a thing, but thats just me. If it was infact alot lighter, then yes. I picked up Az's bike at Ds days, and it was lighter, just not by much. But as Az said, it really didnt work out for the big whoops, but after some modification, it has become a good dragger. But still its not light.....?

Oh heck who am I kidding, I just thought it was ugly. I couldnt see spending that kind of money for a not so light frame, that really wont gain you a whole lot over stock.
I agree[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

The monorail in the picture is improved quite a bit over the one TVI bought. It got heavier tie rods and slightly improved geometry. Actually, now that you mention it AZ, that chassis you have was originally Klugs as I recall and on its maiden voyage Josh jumped it about 75 feet and bent one part and broke another. I know they straightened the one part instead of replacing it because Gary was pushing so hard to get it by dunefest. I am really stretching my memory because it was something I overheard but I think thats right. You have lighter guage front arms as well. That might be part of the shock mount thing. I know the one we have works really well but it doesn't matter that much. There won't be any more of them made..............

One other thing, the backend got tweaked on that frame when Gary was dialing in for dunefest last year. He didn't check the axle fittings and they loosened up before they got oxidized and seized. When he was making a few passes some things got torn up. I have the same axle setup and mine was the same way. I had to check it every ride for a weekend before the bolts began to seize...........even with locktite on them.

Oh well. Enough history for tonight.

Old 07-15-2006, 02:59 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

All history aside the tabs for the shocks were welded on wrong and the arm tabs were welded on crooked but fear not it is perfect these day's and so is the rest of the geometry and viper the bike is way lighter than when anyone seen it last and we have plans to shed another 10lbs soon oh yes !!!! And nut it is just as well there will be no more monorails built but i am sure a reputable manufacture will be building a big bore fourstorke drag frame soon that will suit the ds just fine.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] trust me it will happen. or has it already happened[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 07-15-2006, 03:08 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Hey AZ,

When do we get to line up?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Mario said you were going to spot me 20 bikes at DS days. Is that true?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I am sure I will need that and then some against 150 hp[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Let me know.........

Ron

Old 07-15-2006, 03:23 AM
Pro Rider

Az nice! You know, I really want to see that bike haul, really. I hope that you will have that with you at Ds days, and that thing rips. I know it has alot of potential, and now that its in the right hands to make it happen, I want to see that thing go. I hope, and look forward to seeing you and that machine on Labor day.

Ron, I will give you a head start .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .............................................but I will wait till your coming down to leave............................................. ...hey you jumped the gun, I win,lol.

Ok now everyone goes on three............one...........tw.........Man that Viper killed them guys out of the hole. His bike put atleast ten lengths on them at the start. Yep, thats how I see it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-15-2006, 03:36 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Jed, LMAO! You won't need it. The only difference between our bikes is Noss shot and cc's. I have a bigger motor, you are running a bigger shot. We have the same head, cams, carbs, pipe and we are really close to the same on weight. We could learn quite a bit about these motors by running against eachother[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I sense a dyno session that involves sand and a hill[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: how did the monorails run