CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

To Polish Cases or Crome them?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Polish Cases or Crome them?

"Im not to worried about that, they have a paint finish on them from the factory and with the Oil cooling and the water cooling I think were A O K on temp, I was thinking a hard crome would be nice, but the idea of red anadized kinda makes me smile"

Cooling seems to be a big difference in cooling between DS650 and F650. F650 thermostat comes on in traffic due mainly to cat, which you don't have (and I won't soon). But without cat (- only purpose was to melt in engine if use regular gas), the thermostat hardly ever comes on even in traffic; maybe due to constant wind cooling of higher speeds. DS650 seems to have many reports of overheating problems, maybe due to speeds not as constant as on smooth roads. Start/stop/jump/wheelie/... at lower speeds with that weight and never riding on momentum alone has a potential to cook an engine, especially with all the high hp/compression/octane additions many of you have. It would be something to keep in mind. Paint on AL does not cook near as bad as thick chrome. The only reason they use paint is cheap rust preventive. Its not like house paint, lol.

I used those tubes of semi-chrome on my Nortons alot.

Old 04-12-2006, 10:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Hey Yjacket,

See the quote button right next to the reply button.............if you want to quote someone, all you have to do is hit the quote button under their post, the forum will do the rest. Then simply type your reply under what was quoted. It is much easier than cutting and pasting[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-12-2006, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DSNUT
Hey Yjacket,

See the quote button right next to the reply button.............if you want to quote someone, all you have to do is hit the quote button under their post, the forum will do the rest. Then simply type your reply under what was quoted. It is much easier than cutting and pasting[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
yeah hes right

Old 04-13-2006, 04:26 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

DS's do not have near the overheating problems as it is made to appear on these forums. Its more misunderstanding than anything. The mechanical thermostat on the DS opens at 185F, but the fan switch does not kick the fan on until 205, then back off when cooled to 195. The fans typically come on during slow speed trail riding where not much air flow goes thru the radiator. SO many people think that just because the fan is running the motor is too hot, but it is still within the parameters set by the factory.

Now in a hot enviornment like the western dunes and desert, where we are working the hell out of our quads with serious load in serious ambient heat, this is where additional cooling needs have legitimately presented themselves. The motor is being worked much much harder than it ever would on the street.

Check out the chrome on my buddy DSBOMB's quad on the last page of this post

Old 04-13-2006, 09:44 AM
Pro Rider

Now thats a sweet looking bike! That needs to be put in the post with best looking bikes.