CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

KMS Turbo Systems

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KMS Turbo Systems

So how many on here have Kelly's Turbo system now???? What are your basic thought's??? Likes, Dislikes??? Problems you have ran into??? I worked with Kelly a couple years ago putting one on CrackerJack (Justin's) old DS and was very impressed with his work along with Stephanie (Spelling) I think she knew more about the system than Kelly did. I am thinking the new build is going to need a Turbo system....and wanted to get some feedback now that they have been out there long enough

Thanks,
Tom

Old 04-19-2006, 08:31 AM
Pro Rider

I have had my Turbo / EFI system for two years and love it. I mainly dune, not hill race or sand drag, and Kelly has perfected the system. I get 72+ hp with 5 pounds of boost running on AVgas. Plenty of torque too.

I run a larger front sprocket and a 22" rear paddles. I can dune in third gear and hardly ever have to shift. I can go from 15 MPH to 55 mph in 3rd gear without lugging. There is a lot of torque!

Old 04-21-2006, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider

No one else??!!??

Old 04-21-2006, 01:19 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

Im on the other side of the coin i mainly drag race and i have had very good luck with my turbo system and the efi i do not recomend the msd with the system but thats my only grip but i also belive the msd will work with a standard set up great.I have not had any of the turbo issues or engine issues.Im very happy with my turbo..... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] she is a holeshot monster and pulls until the sun gose down.

Old 04-21-2006, 03:52 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

AZ,

What CDI is working for you right now? Vortex, Woods, stock?

Old 04-21-2006, 05:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

Vortex [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-21-2006, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

AZSand,

You need reduced CR on standard pistons to run in your turbos. I didn't know if you run custom pistons only, but it seems like you may have run reduced CR pistons in your past. Maybe its not worth it, but it should be a volume formula theoretically if the JE has enough mass to reduce 1 CR safely.

Who would you suggest to lower a JE 11.5:1 CR piston to 10.5:1 by buffing/pollishing crown? I think the thick AL base gasket is marginal, and would still like to run on 91 octane (minimum available premium fuel).

Thanks!!

Old 04-22-2006, 03:16 AM
Pro Rider

I'm all ears on this reply..................

Old 04-22-2006, 10:57 AM
Pro Rider

Analysis on how to reduce 1 CR on stock JE piston crown to be able to use 91 octane fuel (11.5:1 CR to 10.5:1 CR) by polishing $160 JE piston crown down:

I could estimate volume difference between the stock and JE piston crowns, but I wouldn't know what volume would be my goal. I would assume that just flattening the crown would be the methodology. And then use some Calculus Differential Equations to determine how flat from shape.

*** Maybe the 'greedy' method would be to just flatten out the crown by thickness of the AL base gasket for 1 CR, and then wouldn't have to get the books out to do the math (!).

It would be between >~1/2 and <1 CR. The thick base gasket would be simpler. And the exact derivation is not too mathmatically crunchy to get 1CR base gasket difference without trial and error. So approximate derivations would get close to goal and provide a satisfactory solution.

Old 04-22-2006, 01:06 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: yjacket2001
Analysis on how to reduce 1 CR on stock JE piston crown to be able to use 91 octane fuel (11.5:1 CR to 10.5:1 CR) by polishing $160 JE piston crown down:

I could estimate volume difference between the stock and JE piston crowns, but I wouldn't know what volume would be my goal. I would assume that just flattening the crown would be the methodology. And then use some Calculus Differential Equations to determine how flat from shape.

*** Maybe the 'greedy' method would be to just flatten out the crown by thickness of the AL base gasket for 1 CR, and then wouldn't have to get the books out to do the math (!).

It would be between >~1/2 and <1 CR. The thick base gasket would be simpler. And the exact derivation is not too mathmatically crunchy it get 1CR base gasket difference without trial and error. So approximate derivations would get close to goal and provide a satisfactory solution.

Huh?
1. Why not just buy the compression ratio that you want in the first place? 2. If I'm not mistaken turbo pistons are more in the 8:1 range not 11.5:1. And 3. I'm still confused as to why you are offering advice to AZ about his turbo system when you do not even own a turbo. If he was going to lower his compression I would imagine he would buy a piston designed specifically for that CR... not go grinding on the one he has to get its CR lower. AZ has had more setups in the time I have been on this forum than I will have in a lifetime. I think he knows what he is doing... but I'll let him discuss that with you.

Quick Reply: KMS Turbo Systems