CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

OUTLANDER 800

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 03:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OUTLANDER 800

JUST WANTING TO KNOW IF ANY1 HAS HAD ANY COMPLAINTS ABOUT THIS QUAD I;E FRONT END ETC.

Old 04-23-2006, 10:33 AM
Pro Rider
Default OUTLANDER 800

no complaints, except its lonely at the top

Old 04-25-2006, 03:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default OUTLANDER 800

best quad ever made- no joke. but still there are a few things needed.
1 skid plates!!!!
2 front springs need to be swapped with the front 800 max springs (brp is working on this and it might be a recall) its just a little to soft
3 um i cant think of three -

Old 04-25-2006, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default OUTLANDER 800

I love my Outty Its a very good machine and tons of power

Old 04-26-2006, 02:28 AM
Pro Rider
Default OUTLANDER 800

Outy Problems, Not all on the Same Bike - I've had the first 7 on mine - I LOVE my Outy, every bike out there has some problems. Main probs are skids (get ricochets or trash your frame) and 8" - 9" ground clearance rather than the 12" advertised. These are not big probs, and the Outy is the best bike out there imo!

What you should know as a new Bombardier Outlander 800 owner:

1- Skid it, do not bother with the BRP Skids , they are small by aftermarket standards. Ricochet and Prefex make good quality full skids, the BRP A-arm protectors are a good investment with good protection and drainage.

2 - Take your CVT housing off, and seal it up on the back side where it meets the engine and transmission, they leak water there, you might think it is your intake or exhaust for the CVT , but many owners have reported leaks at the back of the CVT. Good high temp silicone is all you require to seal it up.

3 - Be sure to put in a bigger/better drain in your CVT then what comes with it. The stock one is the rear bottom bolt on the CVT and is real small and real hard to get at.

4 - Get used to complaining to BRP about how soft you front suspension is, there are numerous temp fix’s out there that range form changing springs with a Max Outy, to swapping front and rear springs from your own Outy, mostly owners with the NON MAX XT have been complaining about this.

5 - Double or triple secure your battery in , as the stock strap is totally inadequate, many owners have used the big quick ties for this with ok luck, you have to do something as you will eventually loss you strap on the trail somewhere.

6 - Many owners are coating their exhaust pipes for the purpose of keeping the heat in the pipes and heading out the exhaust as there have been a few Isolated reports of melted seats and wiring harness’s as a result of high exhaust temps.

7 - Be sure and carry a spare battery and a way of hooking it up, as if you lose power, your stuck, there is no pull start on this machine.

8 - There has been a few reports of oil leaks form the back of the engine, isolated but non the less there has been some reports.

9 - There has also been reports of water pump leaks, it is a big job to fix so hope you don’t get this one, some of the owners have reported putting in a little radiator stop leak as working so far with no more leaks.

10 - There have also been some reports of the magneto’s dieing, the only fix is replacement, warranty will cover this, but be sure to do #7 above and you will get home.

11 - There are many reports of Speedo’s messing up and not showing proper speed and or RPM and some even being stuck at a certain speed, also some have been fogging up, I have not heard of any reports of the digital part of the Speedo messing up, just the sweep arm.

12 - There have been some reports of the rear suspension breaking where the arm goes into the main frame, all the reports I have heard of have been by owners that have admitted to jumping them often, not crazy jumps but still jumps.

13 - A spare key would be nice, but that will cost you, it could be worth it though at about $25 - $40 bucks

14 - Brakes should last longer, function better.

15 - Take it in to dealer for cold start map reprogram on computer, also replace diode on winch.

Old 04-26-2006, 04:00 AM
Trailblazer
Default OUTLANDER 800

great post kawiyowee
I too love my outty
I will do all the upgrades you suggest
My front springs on my Max are soft too!!
Just a few questions:
My speedo is acting up (ie stuck going 80 mph), do you know the fix for this(besides cycling the ignition), my dealer is 3 hours away and he doesn't have a clue!!!!
My winch has acted up too, what does replacing the diode do????

Thanks

Old 04-26-2006, 06:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default OUTLANDER 800

thanks for the tips. it will help me out greatly when going to get an outlander if i do.

Old 04-26-2006, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider
Default OUTLANDER 800

truck guy - your dealer should contact BRP, most dealers know about this problem and know how to fix it. Somebody told me it was just a bad switch, but BRP and other dealers know how to fix this problem.

Ask your dealer about programming your quad to take care of the cold start problem. If he says he doesn't know about that either, he's blowing smoke, cause I know there is a TSB, technical service bulletin, out on that.

I believe the diode replacement stops the winch from drawing too much current and killing your battery. BTW, I make sure to carry jumper cables with me, cause if battery goes dead, you're stuck. I am going to get a spare battery also, but man I sure don't look forward to carrying that dead weight around.

goliath - don't let this list scare you off from getting an outy. Even with problems, it's the best out there.

Old 04-26-2006, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider
Default OUTLANDER 800

while i really like your "tips"...you need to state the % of these issues is less than 1/10 of a % at the most...

also these issues are far less serious and less frequent than most other utes...i know this from experience and recall list from other manufacturers.....plus the 5 yr warranty helps out

i will be taking using your tips, exspecially the jumper cables!

thank you

Old 04-27-2006, 02:41 AM
Pro Rider
Default OUTLANDER 800

Originally posted by: kawiyowee
.7 - Be sure and carry a spare battery and a way of hooking it up, as if you lose power, your stuck, there is no pull start on this machine..
Why not just carry small jumper cables?? Yamaha give a set of jumpers on there Apex snowmachines as they also dont have a backup pull start, just a thought

Quick Reply: OUTLANDER 800