CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Who has a Lectron and rides trails?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 08:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has a Lectron and rides trails?

Originally posted by: Knutz
Having done more experimentation on Mikuni carbs than any one person should ever have to do, including dyno, trail, rock, and dune testing; I have learned a thing or two about them. I will say that they can be set up to perform under all conditions, perfectly flawlessly, with lighter throttle pull than stock. Not only that, but once they are set that way, they are almost impervious to altitude changes[I've gone from 200 ft to 6000ft without changing a jet]. I'll go so far as to say that it's the next best thing to factory fuel injection. I understand that this may seam a bit far fetched, but I have set up close to 100 carbs like this. Anyone that got a carb from me in the last 6 months or so that I was in business should back me on this if they ran the carb the way I sent it.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the Lectrons. I actually never got around to testing/ learning them, so others can speak with better information about them. What I am saying is, the TM carb can be tuned to have no down side at all.

Take time and listen to the right people and you'll be happy with either carb, or so it seams.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I ride my tm45 from sea level to 10,000', it is not performing absolutely optimum at this high altitude without a slight main jet change, but none the less it isn't performing bad either and for a one day ride up the mountains and back down again with no racing involved it is not necesary to change anything! guys I ride with running vacuum slide carbs are suffering big time along side me, so much that we recently fitted a tm45 to my Raptor buddy's built 686 motor. He has never been happier!!
Lots of happy campers running lectrons on raptors too I hear, the trick is fabbing an intake to mount the carb to level and out of the way of the starter...
gotta love the ds motor with its starter in the front, nothing easier to mess with carbs on!

Old 04-29-2006, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

I've never had the opportunity to test any higher than 6000'. I imagine that an additional 4000' would require a jetting change. The point that I am making, and I think Hightower is agreeing with, is that the Mikuni carb is not extrordinarily touchy when it comes to elevation changes when used on the Rotax motor in our quads.

Old 04-29-2006, 10:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

yes Knutz I am agreeing [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]