CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

When does a new cdi become mandatory???

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 05:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When does a new cdi become mandatory???

I know it is never mandatory, but I am getting ready to order a TM45, ported intake, and I have a hmf w/ no toil filter. With these mods is it strongly suggested to get an aftermarket cdi? Or is it only with different cams?

Old 05-02-2006, 06:03 PM
Pro Rider

bombs run lean.i hope you have a fuel management program so you can add fuel or you might melt something.the cdi might remove the rev limiter.

Old 05-02-2006, 06:15 PM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by: maxxedouty
bombs run lean.i hope you have a fuel management program so you can add fuel or you might melt something.the cdi might remove the rev limiter.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you think he is installing a EFI. He is installing a carb. Your right about the cdi but with the options out there: some remove the rev limit some add 1000rpm or so and some cdi's let you map your own curves and some have preprogramed curves.

JMann, be patient I'm sure someone will chime in with the answers your looking for. =]

Old 05-02-2006, 06:16 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: maxxedouty
This is for a DS not an Outty. You don't need it though, not until you get cams. It would help but not necessary.

Old 05-02-2006, 06:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Your due for a new cdi box whenever you bike starts making power beyond the rev limiter of your current box. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

But Im quite sure yjacket will correct me if Im wrong, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]...since Im nothing more than a dumbo, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-02-2006, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider

Ya, its never manditory, and the new CDIs that come stock are pretty good. But, if you find you are wanting more power (like choose mentioned) up above, and an increase in rev limit is a good thing. Some people want more flexibility in thier CDIs, the Vortex is an excellent way to choose your timing curve. That one is particularly good if you run nitrous off and on - especially on larger shots - then you dont want too much advance timing - you may even want a retarded curve.

Old 05-02-2006, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider
Runs a 730 kit from OMW with web109's and a 48mm lectron. It has some serious torque!

lets say i bought a big gun cdi and i revved my past 8500 would i get a valve hit or no?

Old 05-02-2006, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

I bought the big gun cdi for my z (+1200 rpm and advanced timing curve) I never did cams and it made a significant difference. It was the first mod I bolted on, so I took it for a ride with that being the only mod. I did the exhaust and jetting after, and that difference seamed minor in comparison.

Keep in mind I'm talking about a z, but I didn't have to change cams to notice a difference from my cdi.

Old 05-03-2006, 12:18 AM
Pro Rider
Runs a 730 kit from OMW with web109's and a 48mm lectron. It has some serious torque!

so what im asking is, if i plug in a big gun cdi and i rev past 8300(i heard valves float at that rpm) is it possible that it will result in a valve hit?

Old 05-03-2006, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider

Yeh, that is my concern too, but I went ahead and ordered the Ron Woods CDI, will just have to be conscious about it.

Quick Reply: When does a new cdi become mandatory???