CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

ATV Source: Polaris 800 conquers the Bomb 800

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 10:25 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV Source: Polaris 800 conquers the Bomb 800

Anyone see this article on ATV Source? It puts the Polaris over the bomb. I realize that you can't trust all of these reviews but, it does give a good read.

Old 05-03-2006, 10:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Bogus, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-03-2006, 02:28 PM
Pro Rider

Anyone else had experience or seen the new bomb 800 after new tires. I Have read, seen videos and experienced it in person that after adding larger aftermarket tires the "visco" lock front diff, or whatever they call it , doesnt want to engage as when it had stock tires. Couple of people I know have solid issues getting over obstacles with larger heavier tires on their new 800. They cant get the front to grab, so they sit there for a while working it until it finally grabs. Works perfect with stock tires, but after upgrading, well it no longer is that nice of a system.Now im not trying to start an argument, im considering getting a new 800, and want to know if this is more common than just in my area and the couple readings and videos ive seen. Also is there a fix without going back to stock tires.

Old 05-03-2006, 04:41 PM
Pro Rider

I guess, don't buy big tires. Besides they slow ya down to much anyway. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I read that article, it exagerated every strong point of the Popo and exagerated every week point on the Outy to make there case. I have had the SP800 and now have the Outy 800 and you could not pay me enough to trade back. Article seemed very bogus to me.

Old 05-03-2006, 04:48 PM
Trailblazer

Obviously a biased editorial, lol, "the outlander has okay styling"
Failed to mention the Polaris is the ugliest ATV on the market.
Front end styling on the Polaris looks like it came out of an ET movie.
Better feed that ugly thing some Reece's pieces.

Old 05-03-2006, 05:13 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

Originally posted by: truckguy
Ain't that the truth.. Anyone who thinks the bomb is anything but sexy as hell has their head up their ***. Its by far my favorite styling on a quad and it provides great visability.. You cant see anything within a half mile infront of a poo.

Old 05-03-2006, 05:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: OneFlyCowboy
Originally posted by: truckguy
Ain't that the truth.. Anyone who thinks the bomb is anything but sexy as hell has their head up their ***. Its by far my favorite styling on a quad and it provides great visability.. You cant see anything within a half mile infront of a poo.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-03-2006, 07:05 PM
Range Rover

Zex129,

Yes, what you are hearing is correct. Bigger tires will slow down the reaction time of the Visco-Loc. The Visco Loc is basically a limited slip. For most people it works fine, but make no mistake, it's not as effective as a manually "locked" front axle. One front wheel has to slip before the other front wheel will engage. BRP says one front wheel slipping activates a "pump" which transfers torque to the wheel with more grip. Technically this is incorrect. The pump is not a pump in a conventional sense and it does not transfer torque to the wheel with more grip. The torque is equally applied to both front wheels and increases until the wheel with the most traction will either spin, or move the quad. As soon as the throttle is released, or once the machine is moving, the Vosco-Loc "unlocks." When BRP engineered this system (I'm assuming they did the engineering), they had to choose a balance between too quick of engagement, not quick enough, and just right. However designed, they are not going to please everyone. They have attempted to satisfy the bulk of day-in-day-out riders...with stock diameter tires, and they've done that. A lot of folks that put larger tires on their machines MAY find those larger tires change the function of the Visco-Loc in a manner not to their liking.

In order to visualize how larger tires affect the Visco-Loc's operation think to the extreme. Suppose you had 12" diameter tires. When one spins the Visco-Loc "engages," the torque between the two sides is equalized. Given the small 1' size, that torque transfer would happen very quickly. Now think of having tires 4' in diameter. For the Visco-Loc to engage, the relative movement between the left and right side axles would be the same, but from the driver's perspective with 1' and 4' diameter tires, the difference would be huge.

Old 05-03-2006, 07:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Lastlaugh
Anyone see this article on ATV Source? It puts the Polaris over the bomb. I realize that you can't trust all of these reviews but, it does give a good read.
Im sure theres an artical about every quad beating every other quad. And that is the only downfall of bomb, as ive also heard from bomb owners, is visco lock. Most people seem to not like it very much, and are wanting a manual locker. But dont feel bad, Polaris has a similar setup, that my buddy, a 700sp owner says, is Junk. I wonder which way quads will go, limited slip, or manual. I personally love being able to decide for my self when its time to lock it in.

Old 05-03-2006, 07:36 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

If your crawling with 1 front wheel off the ground. allot the visco lock is not the best thing.. however if you jammin the throttle climbin slippery slopes it kicks a whole lotta *** [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: ATV Source: Polaris 800 conquers the Bomb 800