CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Biggest bang for the buck

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 08:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Biggest bang for the buck

getting the most out of your engine if you dont mind doing a little work is to port and polish, pay special attention to the exhaust. that is where the most improvement can be made. even a first timer can do the work. polish kit about $30 + gaskets. a solid ten hp or more with an exhaust change can be made, and thats alot for starting with 64hp.

Old 05-04-2006, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider

Huh? Is this a question or a manefesto? I assume this is for an Outy, since you say you are starting with 64hp, but what exactly did you do to it... what did you port and polish? Intake, head or both? Sounds cool, lets get some more details.

Old 05-04-2006, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

oops, thought i was on the brp. same rule applies to any air pump by improving air flows it allows the addition of a little extra fuel to be added and hps will be added.

Old 05-05-2006, 12:03 AM
Pro Rider

Yes your are on the Bomb forum, but the Outy is not the only ATV BRP makes... actually it is the newest model as you probably know... but until recently the DS 650 was the most popular model from BRP, at least on this forum. I was trying to get you to articulate more clearly what model ATV you had. From the information you provided (64hp) I gleaned that you currently have the new Outy 800. Next I know the logic behind porting... but you did not express what part of the intake system you did your porting on... was it your intake manifold, the head, or both. Add some detail to your post so that other people can do the same to add easy power of their own. These threads can be a significant help to a lot of our fellow BRP brothers, espicially if there is a good amount of info to go on.

Old 05-05-2006, 12:34 AM
Pro Rider

yes i have the 800 max dobeck box and better flowing exhaust. when matching the ports their is a certain procedure to follow. matching all the openings to the gaskets by using dykum or machinest dye. their is a website that explains it step by step.you can probably find it with your search engine.all engines are nothing more than air pumps,so matching barrles intakes and exhaust openings will improve air flow and you will run lean, so you will need to add fuel to gain hp. thats why i use the dobeck efi box. their are better computers programs out there that are allready dynoed for whatever mod you do. takes out the guess work. however it costs quite a bit more, like over $300-vs under $200 for the dobeck box.when winter time comes probably alot of riders will be doing some type of upgrades, just because enough is never enough when it comes to hp & power. ride on

Old 05-05-2006, 01:27 AM
Pro Rider

Dang I read Bang for a buck and was getting all excited, but you were not writting about women![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 05-05-2006, 02:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: maxxedouty
yes i have the 800 max dobeck box and better flowing exhaust. when matching the ports their is a certain procedure to follow. matching all the openings to the gaskets by using dykum or machinest dye. their is a website that explains it step by step.you can probably find it with your search engine.all engines are nothing more than air pumps,so matching barrles intakes and exhaust openings will improve air flow and you will run lean, so you will need to add fuel to gain hp. thats why i use the dobeck efi box. their are better computers programs out there that are allready dynoed for whatever mod you do. takes out the guess work. however it costs quite a bit more, like over $300-vs under $200 for the dobeck box.when winter time comes probably alot of riders will be doing some type of upgrades, just because enough is never enough when it comes to hp & power. ride on
Did you realize that as porting technology increases, engines are making more power and are using smaller jets? It is counterintuitive because we have always thought that an increase in airflow means you can add more fuel thus making more power. The opposite is happening. Motors are making more power and running smaller jets.........and not running lean[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Anyone know why?

Old 05-05-2006, 03:10 PM
Pro Rider

nut, i dont think all motors are that way.

Old 05-05-2006, 03:24 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DSNUT

Did you realize that as porting technology increases, engines are making more power and are using smaller jets? It is counterintuitive because we have always thought that an increase in airflow means you can add more fuel thus making more power. The opposite is happening. Motors are making more power and running smaller jets.........and not running lean[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Anyone know why?
I'll bite... I think that a lot of porting does not have as much to do with adding more fuel but in getting the fuel into the chamber more effectively. This means smoothing out air flow to maximize the velocity of the air as well as the atomization of the fuel. If the fuel can remain in the atomized state longer with less fuel pooling on sections that are not ported then less fuel can be used, hence smaller jetting. Is that close, Nut?

Old 05-05-2006, 04:37 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DSNUT
Originally posted by: maxxedouty

Anyone know why?
Because Randall said so.
Did I win anything?

Quick Reply: Biggest bang for the buck