CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

1st trip to Sand Mountain NV.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider
Started riding ATVs in 1974!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1st trip to Sand Mountain NV.

I'm taking my new (to me) DS to Sand Mountain for the first time next weekend. I have paddles for the rear, and will just be using Razzrs on the front for this trip.

We are tent camping and I would like any info from those of you that go there as to what to expect. I know to bring water, but how are the rest rooms? The BLM site says no dumping of any water, can we use our solar showers?

Where would be a good place to camp with a 2wd truck?

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-05-2006, 04:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive only been there once, I dont know much about the bathrooms there, But there is a nice camping area and you dont have to worry about a 2wd. You can go right by the hill and i dont think youll get stuck.jmo

Old 05-05-2006, 05:14 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: TheStir
I'm taking my new (to me) DS to Sand Mountain for the first time next weekend. I have paddles for the rear, and will just be using Razzrs on the front for this trip.

We are tent camping and I would like any info from those of you that go there as to what to expect. I know to bring water, but how are the rest rooms? The BLM site says no dumping of any water, can we use our solar showers?

Where would be a good place to camp with a 2wd truck?

Thanks in advance!
When exactly are you going to be there?

Old 05-05-2006, 07:35 PM
Pro Rider

We are getting there Thursday afternoon, and leaving Saturday afternoon to be home for Mother's Day.

Old 05-05-2006, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider

we have been to sand mountain NV 5 or 6 times a year for 20 years. if you pull right out to the bottom of the hill you will get stuck and you will not sleep because of the noise. we generally camp right on the fence to your left just after you get past the pay booth with your vehicle right against the fence so that you wont have anyone riding behind you at 3am. the bathrooms are concrete boxes with locking doors with holes in the floor with a stainless toilet over them.they are usable but bring your own toilet paper as the rolls offered are usually yellow and shriveled....LOL. there is NO fire wood so bring a bunch and water on the ground isnt a problem as long as it isnt from an rv holding tank. no glass bottles! they are illegal and siteable. helmets are optional but flags are not. must have a working tail light to ride at night or you will be sited. if you have never been there before you will instinctively want to camp close to the hill but if you like to sleep at all the further away from the hill you camp the better. you can get cell phone service but have to work at it . the best place we have found signal is on the road out by the second rock fence post past the pay station. the hill is not flat on top so dont expect to fly up to the top and find a nice flat area to park. its a knife edge and steeper on the back side so be careful. hope this helps.

Old 05-05-2006, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider

Big help. I have only been to Pismo and the Oregon Dunes, and that was in the 80' on three wheelers. I'm really looking forward to playing on the hill. How tough are paddle tires? I have STU SS2s. Will they get torn up if I camp by the fence?

Old 05-06-2006, 12:04 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Rule #1 - Don't ride around camp. If you ride early or late ride slowly out of camp then go to the otherside of the hill and ride all you want. Not cool riding to and from camp and in the small dunes next to camp early in the morning. If you've been riding since the 80's we probably don't have to worry about you riding early or late [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Now, as for camping. . . the younger you are the closer to the hill I'ld camp. It will be a little louder closer to the hill. Many try to camp near the first bathroom when tenting.

Bathrooms are generally pretty good.

There is a small culvert just off the road. Carry some momentum through it in your vehicle as it is the soft sand. Once through it the sand generally gets harder or you are on hardpack.

We hope to show up Friday evening and stay until next Sunday.

Don't worry about your paddles. . . as long as you aren't riding circles in camp you aren't riding them on the hardpack enough to hurt them.

Old 05-06-2006, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks, I was only planning on riding from camp to the sand and back, and not after dark or before 8am or so. Seem ok?

We will in a Blue '01 Ram 1500 with a small white trailer. I will have my Yellow DS and my cousin will have a Yellow Warrior. Feel free to say hi if you see us. We will probably try to be within easy walking distance of the bathroom, but close to the fence from what Supersonic says.

This trip is a scouting trip for me as I will be bringing the whole family up for Father's Day. My little cousin has never been to the sand so its also a chance for him to try the sand without a whole lot of people he knows around. He gets self conscious and is just starting out quading.

Old 05-06-2006, 01:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: TheStir
Thanks, I was only planning on riding from camp to the sand and back, and not after dark or before 8am or so. Seem ok?
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Sorry to sound harsh. . . it's bad enough in a trailer when some dough-head is riding his quad to the hill and back to camp at 6am. . . Can't immagine what it is like in a tent.

Sounds like you are the kind of person that understands common curtisy stuff.

Shoot the hill at night. I think they've got quiet time from midnight to 8am or something like that. The'll probably enforce more as it gets closer to Memorial Day Weekend.

Don't bring bottles or wood with nails. Keep your speed down near camps and make sure you have a working tail-light if you ride at night. You'll need a flag and be sure to wear a helmet. Buy your pass on your way in. . . I've heard of them giving tickets if you try to leave without one.

Should have my Yellow DS out there. . . not sure how much seat time I'll get. . . having a lot of fun in the new rail.

Old 05-06-2006, 01:45 AM
Pro Rider

DuneMe, we are going to be out there Sunday for a day ride. Looks us up while you are there. 3 black DS's, and 1 Banshee [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Crash20, BigD, and I will all be there....

Quick Reply: 1st trip to Sand Mountain NV.