CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Which nitrous to get????

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 07:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which nitrous to get????

what is the limiting factor to the amount flow you can get out of the boss system? are you able to run more then one stage through a single nozzle if thats not the flow restriction?on twins and four cylinder engines does the kit run more then one nozzle?

Old 05-19-2006, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: rcoop
what is the limiting factor to the amount flow you can get out of the boss system? are you able to run more then one stage through a single nozzle if thats not the flow restriction?on twins and four cylinder engines does the kit run more then one nozzle?
On most all of the systems, the flow limitations are from the following...

1) Bottle valve & siphon size
2) Nitrous solinoid orafice size
3) Nitrous Jets/Nozzles/manifolds orafice size
4) Nitrous fittings and hose sizes

All systems have limitations in those 4 areas. Two stage systems are possible with nearly all of the systems, it's simply a matter of doubleing up on your components and getting creative on how you build them together. However, most system kits are not two stage by nature - its been the creativity of the builders that turn them into that. My boss has a two stage (30hp and 60hp) dual stage system on his two stroke BRP 1000cc sled - the thing is insanely fast.

Old 05-19-2006, 08:08 PM
Pro Rider

i was wondering specifically the boss system would it be possible to run two stages through a single nozzle?say 15 and 25 for the two stages

Old 05-19-2006, 08:08 PM
Pro Rider

I kind of look at this like TV's. Mark has sold Mitsubishi and now sells Pioneer. I happen to have had Mits, and now think that Pioneer is probably one of the very best displays on the market. Not that Mits is bad now, just that Pioneer has taken the next step on many of their products.
Mark should NOT be dicounted on going from one to another. Simply said, the BOSS might well be the next step for many of us. I REALLY appreciate the time that Mark has put into both. I hope that we (well.... you guys) get some real good testing and trying this weekend. Seeing how these systems work under our duning conditions is important. I'm counting on the technology being better, and being even MORE stable than the BD.

Then again, you couldn't pull my BD out of my cold dead hands. That's how much more improved it is over the wet systems of old.

Good luck guys and report back please!!!!!

Be safe.

Old 05-19-2006, 09:39 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: rcoop
i was wondering specifically the boss system would it be possible to run two stages through a single nozzle?say 15 and 25 for the two stages
In my mind I would probably question why you would want to have a dual stage system with those particular numbers. However, NOSS nozzles are extremely cheap. Why not run a 15, and then another 10 so that you could run a total of 25 on demand?

As far as the numbers go, for a DS650, a max 25 shot is moderatly small when thinking about a dual stage system. Most people would consider a dual stage from say 20 to 40, or 30 to 60. Simply because a 25hp jump is so controllable on a DS.

Thats my opinion, there may be applications where a 15hp and 25hp shot is needed.

Old 05-19-2006, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BigDaddy331
I kind of look at this like TV's. Mark has sold Mitsubishi and now sells Pioneer. I happen to have had Mits, and now think that Pioneer is probably one of the very best displays on the market. Not that Mits is bad now, just that Pioneer has taken the next step on many of their products.
Mark should NOT be dicounted on going from one to another. Simply said, the BOSS might well be the next step for many of us. I REALLY appreciate the time that Mark has put into both. I hope that we (well.... you guys) get some real good testing and trying this weekend. Seeing how these systems work under our duning conditions is important. I'm counting on the technology being better, and being even MORE stable than the BD.

Then again, you couldn't pull my BD out of my cold dead hands. That's how much more improved it is over the wet systems of old.

Good luck guys and report back please!!!!!

Be safe.
BigDaddy331,

Its important to also know that I have owned all three systems, and ran two of them. I've also installed several of each on DS650s, YFZ's, my 400EX, and Predators as well. I dont think it is quite a simple as sales, but I will say this, your point has been taken.

Im here primarily to give the facts of the systems on how the components work, advantages and disadvantages. I let the people decide if they have had the same results I have had.

All three systems types are good. Its really a question of how good the owner is in managing the nitrous system. By us pointing out all the differences in the components and how they work, users will be able to determine thier level of comfort with each type of system.

I have my reasons for what I run, they may not be the same for everyone. I like my hits the same in horsepower strength everytime. I dont want limited button time. And I want to be able to run it at night when the temps fall off without alot of trouble to retune. Thats me, but thats not everyone - and I am OK with that. Just last week a rider had a Banshee with a pieced together Holly NOS system. His bottle position was wrong. I rode up to him and asked him how his nitrous system was. Of course he loved it, then I asked him if he had problems with keeping the horsepower up after a few runs - then he admitted that there were issues. I gave him some advice about how the bottle should be positioned and a possible siphon to keep his nitrous flowing correctly. He looked at me like a lightbulb came on over his head.

Ultamately, its about the fun of running nitrous. If its not fun, then its not worth it. Everyone that is considering nitrous simply needs to do a little research and find a good match for them.

Old 05-19-2006, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider

hey marky please tell me you mis typed when you gave the tuning directions for the boondockers. are you suposed to have your bike running then push the nitrous button to see where your at on the mammometer, or do you check it with the bike off, i have been tuning mine with the motor off[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] man im gonna feel stupid if you did not mitype.

Old 05-19-2006, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider

I spent the afternoon at the BOSS shop picking up my bike, and doing some tuning.
Admittedly running on the street is going to be alot different than at Sand Mtn. but I think it is within a few clicks of the micro fuel manager to being right on the money....still a little rich....on purpose!

I am excited about tomorrow morning. From what I have seen and experienced so far just running up and down the street, the system is easy to understand, work with, adjust, and is working well.

My biggest problem has been a total lack of knowledge about nitrous, and like many other, a fear of it really messing things up, costing me alot more than its worth to go a little faster.

Marky and Jim have been outstanding in helping me understand the system, getting it installed the way I wanted it, making sure all of the components are of the quality they should be, and I feel confident about pushing the button up the hill tommorow!

More to come.....

Old 05-20-2006, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 2BIG2BFAST
hey marky please tell me you mis typed when you gave the tuning directions for the boondockers. are you suposed to have your bike running then push the nitrous button to see where your at on the mammometer, or do you check it with the bike off, i have been tuning mine with the motor off[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] man im gonna feel stupid if you did not mitype.
The directions say to do a quick burst at idle, just enough to measure the pressure.

Old 05-20-2006, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

just a quick lazy ?if im at 3 on the mammometer with the bike off where might i be when its running. right now would you say im running lean or rich

Quick Reply: Which nitrous to get????