CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Methanol?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 11:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Methanol?

Im a hardcore drag racer in a fatmans body. I have a huge need for speed.
Ha ha ha ha ha, now that's funny!!!! See if this story sounds familiar?

Shifter cart racing is very popular in my area. Years ago a friend of mine told me he was going to buy a cart and go racing. He must have saw the look on my face and asked what, what, what? I told him ..........aaaaaaaaaa................aaaaaaaaaa.... ........aaaaaaaaaa..........your going to get waxed dude.
He told me what kinda comment is that??? I know engines, I know chassies and I'm a good driver. What's your problem???
Weeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllllll, let me see.................aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.............m y problem is I see a lot of you!!!! DUDE; you 6'6" and weigh what, 260 or so????
There were several classes including a starter class that a lot of 7 year olds were in. By the time they were 12 they were about as good as Jimmy Johnson!!!!
Some of those 70lb 12 year olds straped themselves into a 500CC wacked out 2 stroke shifter cart. They knew how to drive since they raced since they were 7!!!!
Those 12 year olds cleaned my buddies clock!!! He sold the cart about a year latter.

If I was running the show I would put a weight rule in place to even the show. It's only fair if you ask me.

N2O is as good as it gets HP for $$$"s. Nones better!!!! You can have a perfectly good mannered quad with N2O. But when your on the button it will be a handful!!!

If you ask me your on the right track dude and your going to go fast.

Old 05-24-2006, 01:51 AM
Pro Rider
Default Methanol?

Hey big guy you know Ive been running it on my 650s since 01 and I love the stuff. Its a little more trouble but in the summer it is worth it. Get yourself an IV bottle and its very simple to purge. My suggestions are to run a topend lube and get it jetted correctly. I always used it on the TMs and have just recently started to play with the Lectrons on methanol. If you decide to PM me and Ill let you know a few things Ive learned. Randall will sell you an alky needle and some settings also. You will love it in the summer and hate it in the winter. When I really found out about how cool it keeps the motor I was at LS for snake hunt about 2 years ago. I had been making passes all day and it was hot. I had two TMs one on alky and one on gas. During all of these passes I was referring to I was on alky(methanol). I went back to camp and changed to the gas carb. I could tell a little difference as I made one pass. But then I heard the sound of my fan kick on at the end of a couple of runs. Granted it was around 100 degrees but It never kicked on when I was on alky. I thought that was awesome and never went back to gas. I run a Boondocker kit with it and have had very good results. By the way Klotz makes a topend lube as I had trouble finding a brand. Sometimes I add a little Klotz bean oil to the alky. Bean oil with mix with methanol to keep everything lubed up.

Old 05-24-2006, 11:36 AM
amd
Pro Rider
Default Methanol?

Doc and meaner covered all the good basis.

When I drag raced cars. I would run alky in my n20 fuel cell and gas for the motor. I had very good results with this. Although I had alot of money in the fuel system. It made alot of power on the bottle. Infact the car was a turd on the motor but would drop 3 seconds on the bottle. When I ran just fuel on the n20 it would drop around 2 seconds. When I switched to alky on the n20 is when it dropped 3 seconds. It took some time to get right but was worth it in the end. Nothing like running 12.50's then sprayin it and runnin 9.60's.

I have been wanting to try this with the ds but haven't had time. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-24-2006, 06:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Methanol?

Meaner, I figured you would chime in.

Doc, I use to be into boat racing with outboard motors. All those classes except unlimited ran minimal weights for each class, so that no one would have a huge advantage over another. Kept things competetive. But in quads theres no limits, so I have to find every advantage I can.

Old 05-25-2006, 01:28 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default Methanol?

I have only read about this phenomena and have never tried it myself. I haven't even seen it done at the track.
AMD I figured if anyone has done this, you would be the person.
I've read you can pick up some power by doing this, but those numbers are crazy!!!! When I get my new car done I may have to put in a 2 gallon tank for my fogger!!!!
Can I ask what HP the system was set up to make? Must have been a bunch!!!!!
Thanks again for your input AMD. When you or several other people on this board post I always learn something!!!

1BigDSRider, that's too bad the show is run like that. Kind of makes it unfair for the bigger people.
IMHO; the promoters better get a handle on deal with putting 80lb kids on 125hp quads to get the advantage. Someone is going to get hurt if they don't.

Old 05-25-2006, 10:26 AM
amd
Pro Rider
Default Methanol?

Doctor I was running a wilson cross plate with NOS selonoids. Jetting wise it was around 275 to 300. Good thing about alcohol in the n20 is it wont detonate as easily so I ran more timing then I did when just on gas. Yeah you should try it!!!! Just make sure your fuel system can handle it. I had an an aeromotive a1000 on the motor and on the bottle. I ran the fuel pressure for the bottle at right around 15 lbs. I kind of miss it....
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 05-25-2006, 04:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Methanol?

Originally posted by: Doctorturbo
I have only read about this phenomena and have never tried it myself. I haven't even seen it done at the track.
I've read you can pick up some power by doing this, but those numbers are crazy!!!! When I get my new car done I may have to put in a 2 gallon tank for my fogger!!!!
Thanks again for your input AMD. When you or several other people on this board post I always learn something!!!

1BigDSRider, that's too bad the show is run like that. Kind of makes it unfair for the bigger people.
IMHO; the promoters better get a handle on deal with putting 80lb kids on 125hp quads to get the advantage. Someone is going to get hurt if they don't.
Doctor, we have seen that FSW have added a weight class to allow some of the normal size riders to be competetive. I dont see any problem with other events adding a weight class to the event. That being said, I still want to see a super heavy weight class for 300lbs.

Old 05-25-2006, 04:14 PM
Pro Rider
Default Methanol?

Originally posted by: 1BigDSRider
Originally posted by: Doctorturbo

Doctor, we have seen that FSW have added a weight class to allow some of the normal size riders to be competetive. I dont see any problem with other events adding a weight class to the event. That being said, I still want to see a super heavy weight class for 300lbs.
I am thinking 275 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-25-2006, 04:25 PM
Pro Rider
Default Methanol?

Originally posted by: 1BigDSRider

In addition to a super heavy weight class I would like to see a "Fat F@ck" class for those of us 350 and over.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]LMAO

Old 05-25-2006, 04:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Methanol?

Dragon and Fatholly, will make the class 350 and allow riders to compete wearing ballist to make up the weight difference.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Methanol?