CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Piston C-Clip installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 03:20 AM
Canadian and Proud of it !!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Piston C-Clip installation

Hey:Guys

Just wondering if there is a trick to installing the piston retaing c-clip. I know Bomb sells a special tool, but I don't have time to wait for it. Want to get my new 730 running by Sunday !!!

Old 05-27-2006, 05:41 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just usually put one end of the ring into the groove, kinda at an angle so it's not in the flat position it will be when your finished... very carefully and stealthfully push with your finger on the back side of the clip so that it slightly (as much as you can) compress the clip together. while doing this, the clip should kind of want to slide into the groove a bit, and at this point, should stay there by itself. Now use an object of your choice to very carefully brace up against the clip and press it inwards, and it should pop into the groove. This is pretty tricky however, and sometimes it might slip and fly off never to be found again. even worse, it might fall down into the cases, so make sure you have something blocking this from happening. Also make sure the tool you decide to use doesn't slip and end up scaring the piston skirt, cylinder, or whatever else might end up in the way.

Sometimes I can do it first try blind, sometimes i can't get it for the life of me and it's right in front of me. If you keep trying, it'll come to ya, and you'll own that clips ***. Although a few of them might own you first....good luck

Old 05-28-2006, 02:35 AM
Canadian and Proud of it !!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your right Chosen

I know own the c-clip, I knew it would not beat me.

Bought a regular ring compressor last week then relized that it would not work today. Ended up using my oil filter wrench and popping a pin out of it to get it off after.

I was so excited about beating that clip I forgot to change out the valve springs before I mounted the head. Is there a way to get the springs out without taking the head back off ???

If I have to take the head off can i reuse the new head gasket ???

Old 05-28-2006, 10:49 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It stinks, but the only way you can get the spring compression tool in there to work is to remove the head. I chose not to use the old gasket because of Murphys Law. You know good and well once you get her all together it will be something silly like an old gasket that will crush your soul.