CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS650 First ride, no impressed, need some tips!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 10:26 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DS650 First ride, no impressed, need some tips!

Hi guys, finally got to take out the DS650. Been raining for 3 days, went down a backroad, total gumbo, didn't get 1/2mile when the front wheel(s) quite turning due to the mud packing in between the little fenders and the tire! Couldn't do anything except spin in circles!!! Does anyone else have this problem in mud? Is there possibly a kit to raise the fenders up higher?
Also got back to near home, and tried running through a little drainage ditch with some mud, stuck like instantly! No reverse, kind of sucked. But anyways, I'm think the getting stuck may be the tires on the rear, right now it has 20" Kenda Dominator's, seem to not do much in mud! It also came with a set of ITP Blackwater's, would they perform better in mud and muck? Also the little red indicator kept flickering on and off at idle, it was fine when off Idle, but at idle it would turn on, would that be the oil pressure or temp?
Any tips would be greatly appreciated, as this was the first real ride, and I was pretty dissappointed, my neighbour was out with me on my old 1994 Warrior, and it performed better than my DS did!!! Please give me some tips, I must just have the setup wrong or something, as I heard nothing but good things about these before I bought it!
Thanks ahead of time.

Old 05-28-2006, 10:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You want 22" tires on your DS, especially if you're in mud. the dominators suck ****, no matter what size, that's why they no longer use them on new DS's, they are the worst tire for traction ever created in history, especailly with the heavy DS front and long swingarm. the blackwaters are good in soft stuff and muck, but not that great on hard pack or snow in my opinion. the DS is a performance quad, I'd stick with GNCC style tires like holeshot XCT or Knarlys or the like, if they don't cut it then a utility quad may be the better choice.

as for front tires locking up from mud, that is odd, I have raced GNCC in nasty clay mud that cakes like crazy but never had a wheel quit spinning. maybe there is another problem, bent brake rotor, sticking caliper, bad bearigns, etc.

welcome to the forum!

Old 05-28-2006, 10:51 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the response hightower, what do you think about the razor tires everyone seems to be always talking about?
As far as the mud, the type of gumbo we were in, was so bad that once I got back onto a grid road I still couldn't get the tire to turn I was up to third gear, just pushing the wheel!!! Had to stop and chisel out a big ball of mud and straw to get the wheel turning again. Got back home washed everything off, and the wheels all spin nice and free.....I realize these conditions aren't what the DS was designed for, but I never had any problems ripping my warrior through the stuff......

Old 05-28-2006, 11:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

regular razors do not hook as good as some others, I have buddies who ran them and switched, but the razor II's are very aggressive and very popular in gncc as a result. the iRazors are sweet - radial - but don't come in a 22". I sure wish they made a 22" radial but nobody does, only 20" or 25"!

if the fenders keep hanking up the adobe straw and grass and bean stubble weave, you might consider just removing them - you will wear a little more mud but not as much as you may think, I mean heck none of the other quads have fenders that do much of anything, I have ran front fenderless many times and it aint too bad but the front tires will sling a little more on the sides of the motor and you too when at full turn, which is what the wheel mounted fenders were designed to help.

Old 05-28-2006, 11:11 PM
Trailblazer

I didn't pay attention, but what are the stock tire size on my bike? What is the advantage of going to a 22"? More torque, less top end, or vice versa?

Old 05-29-2006, 12:01 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

stock tires are 20"
22" will give more ground clearance, larger path in contact with ground so more traction, and will increase top speed but takes longer to reach it. for trail riding and carrying around heavy mud, it is best to gear down. stock gearing is 16 tooth front, 40 rear. you will want to drop to at least a 15T front with 22" tires, I run a 14T for trails making 2nd gear top choice for steep hill climbs and 1st gear ideal for crawling over the rocks and stuff in creek beds with minimal clutch feathering. the 14T also helps you to stay in 3rd more often with less downshifting to 2nd on faster trails. desert racing is about the place I can think of where a 16 or even 17 tooth front are better suited with 22" tires.