CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Engine Problems. I need some thoughts.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine Problems. I need some thoughts.

Well, she's alive and kicking again. Besides a hose that keeps blowing off, guess I got to much paint on it, she's running good.

Thank you Mario for the cylinder. Now hopefully she we hold together.

Old 06-11-2006, 01:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-12-2006, 06:28 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: 650VIPER
Well, she's alive and kicking again. Besides a hose that keeps blowing off, guess I got to much paint on it, she's running good.

Thank you Mario for the cylinder. Now hopefully she we hold together.
Jed, sorry it has taken me so long to show some support. I was shocked when I heard what happened. When I talked to you at Thunder she sounded so strong, ahh the joy of pushing the envelope, kind of like being a home owner, you're never done with it, you just move on to the next thing that comes up.
I've been thinking, if you have any more problems with this build, maybe you should donate it to science. Come to think of it, my son will have a science class next year and my Dad has the ultimate set of tools-------he's a TV repair man. Just let me know if you want me to come pick it up. (JK)
I'm clad you got her running again so soon, when you headed up again? I'll be there the 23, 24 and 25 of June. Hope to see ya again. I still have those coldies on ice.

Old 06-12-2006, 06:39 PM
Pro Rider

Hey man, no problem. Sorry we werent able to hook up later that night. It got cold in a hurry didnt it? Sucked bad.

Ya the old gal was screaming on friday. I should have left when everone else did on saturday. But I wanted to ride some more. I dont think I like the science project too much though. So I am going to have to pass on that one, lol. Tell your boy, maybe next time,lol.

I am going to go up on the 23rd, and meet up with the Oregan crowd. So I will be there that night into saturday. I will try to find a spot at the lake, and if not there at Desert Oasis. So come and find me, or look for me at thunder.

Old 06-12-2006, 09:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

650viper, I'm glad you got your engine back together. I personally think your problems are behind you. I also think the problems are just starting for some Rappies and Y's!!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

After your rings come in do yourself a favor and do a leakdown on the engine and write down the figure. It will only take a few minutes and it will let you know the health of the motor down the line.

Old 06-12-2006, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider

I will do just that. Thanks for all the help.

Old 06-13-2006, 11:04 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

quick question,
I have an automotive leakdown tester, does not fit my DS plug hole,
I'm gonna do some mojo at the welding bench with an old spark plug and some brazing rod,
unless you guys know of a source to get some sort of adapter to just screw together?

Old 06-13-2006, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Doctorturbo
650viper, I'm glad you got your engine back together. I personally think your problems are behind you. I also think the problems are just starting for some Rappies and Y's!!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

After your rings come in do yourself a favor and do a leakdown on the engine and write down the figure. It will only take a few minutes and it will let you know the health of the motor down the line.
What is a leakdown? What does it tell you, and how does it work?

Old 06-13-2006, 01:39 PM
Pro Rider

Hightower- I picked up my cylinder testing kit from Checker Auto - it came with 3 adaptors and one was the correct one- maybe they can help you?

Old 06-13-2006, 04:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

thanks Major.

Dragon a leakdown tester is a pair of special gauges with a compressed air hookup that you connect at tdc of comp stroke, and one of the gagues tells you the percentage of leakage the cylinder has.

while the compressed air is hooked up, you can use a stethescope to identify where the leakage is occuring - intake valve (listen thru intake), exhaust valve (listen thru exhaust), or piston rings (listen thru crankcase breather).

after a new build, you can measure leakdown for a base line, then later if you suspect something has changed you can check again for a difference.

from what I read and hear, it seems common for a leakdown of up to 10% on a new build that was done right, and 20% or more on up for a build that was not done right like ring gap too wide or valve seats not lapped to new valves.
gapless ring manufacturers claim zero leakdown on their rings, I have gapless rings but have not yet checked leakdown to find out if its true.

Quick Reply: Engine Problems. I need some thoughts.