CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Rear brake light problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 05:00 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear brake light problem

I realize that this is the bomb forum but you guys know more than others so I have a question about my Predator.
The rear brake light stays on even when it and the tail light are not hooked up. I know it is getting power somewere I just don't know were. Does any one have any suggestions or idea's. Thanks.
MG

Old 05-30-2006, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider

Check and make sure all of the wires aren't connected to it. No circuit=no power, thus unless the light has it's own batter (highly doubtful) it won't be on.

Old 05-30-2006, 06:45 PM
Elite Pro Rider

when I unhook the light it doesn't work but when I just wire it in it comes on but it is the brake light. not just the tail light. I am gonna have to trace some wires, yeah. I hate electrical problems. THEY SUCK.

Old 05-30-2006, 09:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'ld disconnect the foot break first. It is probably a simple pressure switch and if that's failed you'll always have power to it. Then try the front brake. . . disconnect them and if it is still on then . . . well. . . I'ld have to think harder than I am now which is obviously not very hard.

Old 05-30-2006, 09:06 PM
Elite Pro Rider

gonna have to think harder I have done that and still does it. I am gonna clean all the connections real good tomorrow and hopefully that is it, But I am now getting a new on off high low switch my husband decided to break it for me. It still runs but it is broke. He has a little Temper when it comes to Electrical problems.

Old 05-30-2006, 09:38 PM
Trailblazer

Well first things first, has this always done this or did it just now started doing it. If it has always been like that it is very easy that the wireing harness for the tail light was wired wrong. if it just started it can be just a loss of connection. if none of this works just try taking the wired and pulling them apart so they don't touch each other. also make sure all the wires match up (if you have a red wire coming into the harness make sure the mateing harness has thatsame wire in the same spot). Dirt could of also got into the harness to screw it up. if you find the problem and fix it let us know so i have it for future reference. Thanks

Duck

Old 05-30-2006, 10:57 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I will let you know if I figure it out. No it has not always happened it started doing it last year but I just now decided I want my tail light and brake light back so now it is time to trace wires after I clean it and see were we are at.
Thanks for all the idea's guys any more just keep them coming.

Old 05-31-2006, 03:45 AM
Pro Rider

I have seen the rare occasion when the filements inside the bulb "jump across" internally, and illuminate the brake filement when the tail light is "on". A new bulb fixes that situation.

Old 05-31-2006, 02:12 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Thanks for the suggestion but I tried that also I even went and bought me a LED light hoping it was just in the light. Nope it is some were else. I just ordered a new switch I will try that to and I can't find my cleaner but when I do I will clean all the connections and see if (hopefully) it is that. I am Stumped.

Old 05-31-2006, 02:31 PM
Trailblazer

Ok so you change to a diffrent tail light and still having the same problem so the problem is not back by the light. trace the wires to the origin and see if you can't find anything. that switch is probly the problem it probly just went bad. It's hard to give you advice i would have to look at it, but i can't think of anything else to help you. I not familar with those circuits
duck

Quick Reply: Rear brake light problem