CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

newbie first mx race sunday

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 01:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie first mx race sunday

hello
well gave up on the yfz great performance poor build quality and expensive to fix so now have a 2000 ds650 will be racing at our local meet sunday and would be greatful for any tips racing the ds , have started to try and get the weight down by stripping out fenders headlight putting titanium pipe on have increased the front tyres to 22inch holeshots to try and get rid of some of the bumpsteer and also have a set of asr arms being shipped over can you save wieght by replacing grab bar front bumper. was really susprised how easy it is to turn the ds and the overall build quality looks good being a older rider and being less bendy then i once was i was pleasentely surprised after doing my first practice on it ,i did not feel burnt out like i did on the yfz and was eager to get back on it well looking forward to nsunday and being on the forum
john

Old 07-05-2006, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie first mx race sunday

Well, first welcome to the forums. You will find any info you need about that DS and some that you don't.LOL You should have a look at OMR's stock carb mods if you want a little free performance, unless you are planning on going with a big bore and porting and that whole route. You can do anything from a good performing stocker to a full blown drag bike with the advice from the people on this forum. Since you already have a pipe I would deffinetly recomend porting your intake as it is relatively cheap($150) and the performance gain is impressive. Also since you are looking for weight savings look into the 520 chain conversion, and hub machining. I think these items might help you on the track a little by reducing rotating mass while still remaining nice and strong for those jumps. Good luck and once again welcome.