CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Steering stem help needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 01:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering stem help needed

While out riding yesterday, my steering went away. Looks like the bearing on the bottom of the stem pulled up through the carrier/washer. Has this happened to anyone else, and where can i get the parts to fix. I no longer have a dealer I can go to . Last week I relaced the seals and wear rings on the front and the dealer charged me 135.00 bux just for 4 seals and 2 wear rings. So we had a fallout over the price, never the less i had to have them so i left. Thanks for your help.
John

Old 07-09-2006, 03:26 PM
Pro Rider
I ride a little here and there......

Dont get the bearing from bombardier as they want if i can remember right 16 bucks? Go to any bearing shop give them the old bearing and they will match it up for 6 bucks.

Old 07-09-2006, 04:52 PM
Pro Rider

Is the bearing bad... maybe look into getting just the washers carrier. It would save you some $$$ and maybe thats all you need.

Old 07-09-2006, 05:21 PM
Pro Rider

Is the carrier a brp only part?The dealer charged me 22.00 bux a piece for front wheel bearing seals, and you get two bearings and two seals from all ***** for that price. I dont understand why they mark everything up so much.

Old 07-09-2006, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider

How did the stem pull through the carrier? There should be a nice thick washer that would have ahd to pull through the frame to let the stem pull through.... is your frame OK?

Old 07-09-2006, 06:09 PM
Pro Rider

I looked at mine and there is no washer? All i have is the bearing, two flat washer things that sandwich together and bolt to the frame and a castle nut with a cotter pin on th ebottom of the stem. Am i missing something, or does the 2000 not have the washer?

Old 07-09-2006, 06:18 PM
Pro Rider

looks like the 200 models dont have the big thick washer, the 2001 model does. is this something that i can add to mine that will fix it. the bearing looks good as does the carriers. will the bearing fit through the carrier when they are new?

Old 07-09-2006, 07:44 PM
Pro Rider

I would imagine that you could add this washer. Its just a big thick concave washer that covers the hole in the frame so that the steering stem cannot pull through the bearing like yours has done. The only thing I would worry about is the length of the steering stem threaded end... as long as it is long enough, and I think it should be because I don't think they have changed the steering stem design, you will be fine.

Old 07-09-2006, 08:02 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: chiknhawk
looks like the 200 models dont have the big thick washer, the 2001 model does. is this something that i can add to mine that will fix it. the bearing looks good as does the carriers. will the bearing fit through the carrier when they are new?
No... the bearing should not fit throught the two thin sheet metal pieces they should hold the bearing snug. The bearing should fight very tight into the two halfs, and that all bolts to the frame. The washer holds the whole thing to the frame. I think all you might need is the two metal halves that hold the bearing, and the thick washer... am I correct here?

Old 07-09-2006, 11:55 PM
Pro Rider

Yea man I think you are on to something. My bearing looks good, so I should need just the two carriers and the washer. Any idea on where to get these or a dealer that wouild sell me these over the phone, with a credit card.
Thanks,
John

Quick Reply: Steering stem help needed