CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Steering stem help needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering stem help needed

Do you know the dimensions of the washer, o.d. and i.d, plus the thickness? If so i can get it at a fastener shop.
Thanks again

Old 07-10-2006, 01:41 AM
Pro Rider

well not too long ago I had a steering prob b/c the guy that had the bike before me trashed it so wat I did was check it out and my bearing and the housing for the bearing were both shot so i replaced them both because my steering was horrible and now everything is perfect

Old 07-10-2006, 02:40 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: chiknhawk
Do you know the dimensions of the washer, o.d. and i.d, plus the thickness? If so i can get it at a fastener shop.
Thanks again
Check here for the parts online. The thin metal pieces are called thrust washers, and they are not too bad ($8.66) but the washer at the bottom says it only comes in a pack of 10 for $23.20.... it doesn't really make sense because I don't think that type washer is used on the bike anywhere else. Your idea to get one at the hardware store may be a much better idea. I can't remember if you would be able to use a flat washer or not. The stock one is concave so that the edges of the washer would hold on to the small flange on the bottom of the frame. It sort of makes sure that the washer can't move around when the whole thing is bolted up.

I actually think you may be fine to use a flat washer there as long as you got new thrust washers (thin metal) for the bearing. They would the keep the bearing from sliding side to side. You should make sure that the bolts that hold the thrust washers/bearing sandwich to the frame are nice and tight... but I guess that is how your stock setup was anyway. The washer at the bottom should be nice and thick... 3/16" at least. I don't know if the thrush washers are the same from year to year, but my '02 has the whole setup so you may want to get those from a year that is the same. Good Luck!

Old 07-10-2006, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider

Hey thanks alot. Ill order the new thrust washers and be back riding, if nothing else ill order the pack of 20 and when anyone of you need one just holla at me.

Thanks,
John