CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Good morning Bombardier Boys.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 02:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good morning Bombardier Boys.

Whoops missed a section! 4SW's...

I think 4SW was extremely indicative of how a higher powered machine was KEY to victory. If you watch the video, I don't think there is one race (KOTH) where the HPR DS launches prior to the other bikes...I don't think if they would have been racing 300ft the HPR DS would have caught and passed the opposition like it had! It was a true showing of HP at it's best.

Excuse my ignorance but is that the same DS who ran the 3.96?

Old 07-14-2006, 02:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: bulldogz400

I think 4SW was extremely indicative of how a higher powered machine was KEY to victory. If you watch the video, I don't think there is one race (KOTH) where the HPR DS launches prior to the other bikes...I don't think if they would have been racing 300ft the HPR DS would have caught and passed the opposition like it had! It was a true showing of HP at it's best.

No, that was a different DS.

You make a good point at how well the long hill allows hp/tq to make up the difference. But you also have to understand that in an official 300ft sand drag, those other boys would have been sent back to the truck the first time they jumped the light. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] This is what Im trying to drive home...4sw's is unofficial and there are fast bikes that do run there. But you cant compare apples to oranges.

Old 07-14-2006, 02:11 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: choosetolose04
Correct. But we have seen at Planetsand that it took 106hp to get it done. Prime example is that you also had an 85hp yfz running in that same event and just couldnt get it done. The yfz was impressive. But it took an 80lb kid to make it that impressive. The bike would have lost a good 3 tenths if the owner would have been riding it.

Now with that said....it took approx 90hp to get it done at 4SW's with a bike that weighed roughly 60lbs heavier than the one running at Planetsand. Now I ask you. Do think that 106hp straightline drag bike couldnt dominate the hill?
I'm sure the 106 HP machine would RUN the hill! This bike would fit into that category of the flat trackers that can rely on pure HP to get the job done as well as great set-up, compared to a an excellent set-up alone without the insane HP.
This would also include the 85HP YFZ, I'm sure he would make an awesome showing at the hill.

My argument is that the bikes with mediocre power and excellent set-up would not perform as well on the hill as they can on the track. Again this is JMO! Let's keep it running!
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-14-2006, 02:18 PM
Pro Rider

You make a good point at how well the long hill allows hp/tq to make up the difference. But you also have to understand that in an official 300ft sand drag, those other boys would have been sent back to the truck the first time they jumped the light. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] This is what Im trying to drive home...4sw's is unofficial and there are fast bikes that do run there. But you cant compare apples to oranges.
You are correct, 4SW is quite unofficial and still needs some fine tuning on it's rules and regulations. (Think it is an excellent event, however). And yes, rider ability plays a HUGE part in flat track racing. Miss a shift or leave the line slow, and you will lose! Reaction times and shift points play such a big role that if you mess up the opponent will take advantage. But again, I think this proves how hillshooting is the predominant way to show how strong your quad is, rather than personal abilities! To be able to overcome adversities, mistakes, and still pull off a win, that shows something. This is not saying that the flats don't operate on the same level, but it has to be agreed upon that there is less room for a mishap in 300ft.

Old 07-14-2006, 02:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Correct. But we have seen at Planetsand that it took 106hp to get it done. Prime example is that you also had an 85hp yfz running in that same event and just couldnt get it done. The yfz was impressive. But it took an 80lb kid to make it that impressive. The bike would have lost a good 3 tenths if the owner would have been riding it.

Now with that said....it took approx 90hp to get it done at 4SW's with a bike that weighed roughly 60lbs heavier than the one running at Planetsand. Now I ask you. Do think that 106hp straightline drag bike couldnt dominate the hill?
I'm sure the 106 HP machine would RUN the hill! This bike would fit into that category of the flat trackers that can rely on pure HP to get the job done as well as great set-up, compared to a an excellent set-up alone without the insane HP.
This would also include the 85HP YFZ, I'm sure he would make an awesome showing at the hill.

My argument is that the bikes with mediocre power and excellent set-up would not perform as well on the hill as they can on the track. Again this is JMO! Let's keep it running!
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I totally agree with you on your opinion that mediocre bikes cannot perform as well on the hill as they do on the track. But we are not talking about mediocre bikes. We are talking about the "fastest on the planet" bikes. Another point Im trying to make is that the yfz will be competitive on the hill, but I dont think he will have enough torque to edge out the bigblocks that are producing the big power and torque.

All in all, there is NO WAY your gonna take a hill bike and run competitive on the track. We seen Kelly with KMS prove that at Planetsand with a raptor that was making more power for its good. Im sure it would have cleaned house on the hill. But was atleast 3 tenths too slow to get it done on the track. You cant just throw a wheelie bar on a hill bike and expect to rule the world. It aint happening. Now thats why Im crossing my fingers on getting those AZ/CA boys over here and lets see what they can do.

We already know the flat dragger can dominate the hill....errr King of the Hill 2006 trophy belongs to a DS owner. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-14-2006, 02:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You are correct, 4SW is quite unofficial and still needs some fine tuning on it's rules and regulations. (Think it is an excellent event, however). And yes, rider ability plays a HUGE part in flat track racing. Miss a shift or leave the line slow, and you will lose! Reaction times and shift points play such a big role that if you mess up the opponent will take advantage. But again, I think this proves how hillshooting is the predominant way to show how strong your quad is, rather than personal abilities! To be able to overcome adversities, mistakes, and still pull off a win, that shows something. This is not saying that the flats don't operate on the same level, but it has to be agreed upon that there is less room for a mishap in 300ft.

This whole discussion is who is the fastest. Hill or Track. Making up a mistake on a hill is no justification to show "true" horsepower because we just proved that it took some more horsepower to win the planetsand races than what the lightest bike there was making. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-14-2006, 02:23 PM
Pro Rider

I would give my Right NUT to have 106HP....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 07-14-2006, 02:41 PM
Pro Rider

"This whole discussion is who is the fastest. Hill or Track. Making up a mistake on a hill is no justification to show "true" horsepower because we just proved that it took some more horsepower to win the planetsand races than what the lightest bike there was making."

Good point. I don't know this for sure but are the fastest bikes on the flats making more HP than the fastest hillshooters? Of course this is up for speculation and discrepency...

Do you think Kelly at KMS would have had a decent shot if he was set-up as well as the DS? Turbo's are another thing in themself though. Can they create enough power to dominate on a track that is only 300ft? They sure pull like trains on the hill, but that is because they have enough time to "spool" up power and really let it loose. Maybe a Turbo quad shooting nitrous off the launch to get RPM's up? I don't know, don't have enough experience with 300ft drags or the proper set-up to make an assumption like that! Whatcha think?

(This is fun!) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-14-2006, 02:42 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DriverDoyle
I would give my Right NUT to have 106HP....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
LOL...but could ya really live with yourself at the end of the day?

Old 07-14-2006, 02:48 PM
Pro Rider

LOL...but could ya really live with yourself at the end of the day?
Oh yea i dont had them cut so i cant have no more kids...So yea it would be a fair trade..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Good morning Bombardier Boys.