CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Lectron cable routing thought

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lectron cable routing thought

I was sitting here lookin at the cable routing on my lectron. I mean the routing suggested works fine but what if a guy drilled a hole in the tank cover near the top and routed the cable over the top of the tank zip tying it to the tank breather fitting and straight down to the carb. It would eliminate a couple of bends and the slight angle the cable sits at when it reaches the carb. Im thinkin it would take a shorter cable to make it work. A down side would be that you would have to remove the cable to get the tank off, but it might make for a smoother throtle pull and less binding issues. What do you guys think?

Old 07-16-2006, 06:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I think thats a great idea. Go ahead and try it and let us know how it works, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 07-16-2006, 06:49 PM
Pro Rider

How would I go about figuring out how long to make the cable. And who builds custom cables?

Old 07-16-2006, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Scatter, is your carb that far back that it bends forward? We cut our boots so as the cable goes about straight up under the cover, and over the tank, then make a big loop back to the throttle.

Old 07-16-2006, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider

No, Mine comes in from the left hand side down to the top frame rail. Then up toward the top of the tank and down to the carb. But it puts the cable at kind of a slight angle to the carb. Its run just like the pics on HPRs site. I was just thinking it would be a straighter shot coming in over the top of the tank. Basically only 2 bends. Seems to me that it would make for better throttle pull, I dont know. Less bends, less friction? Ive got a slight tweek in the end of the cable fitting. The cable slides through fine but am going to replace it anyway. Might be part of my problem Im having now.

Old 07-16-2006, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider

I will take a look at Hpr's site to see how they route it. Send me your email, and I'll send you some pics if its different. Ours dont really have a bent, besides the loop that comes out from under the cover and up to the throttle. Jeremey's works flawlessly.

Old 07-16-2006, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider

I got your email, and checked out there routing, that sucks. Do just what you were thinking, but instead of drilling a hole, just route it between the cover and tank, then up and over the tank. Put the cable between the filler neck and the vent. Then straight out the front to the left of the oil fill, then just pull her back towards the throttle in the softest route you can take. It will work like a charm. The cover will hold the calbe in place, so no need to tie it if you dont want. I will go out and get some pics here in a few.

Old 07-16-2006, 07:24 PM
Pro Rider

I havnt had any problems until recently. The tweak in mine could have happen any number of ways. I was just looking at it and the idea popped into my pea brain. Im sure that it has been looked at by HPR when they designed the cable for it but for ease of install they went the routing they did. It was just an idea.

Old 07-16-2006, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks Jed

Old 07-16-2006, 07:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Scatterbrain
I havnt had any problems until recently. The tweak in mine could have happen any number of ways. I was just looking at it and the idea popped into my pea brain. Im sure that it has been looked at by HPR when they designed the cable for it but for ease of install they went the routing they did. It was just an idea.

"pea brain".....you mean SCATTERBRAIN, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Lectron cable routing thought