CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Buildt DS Motors Longevity?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 03:00 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buildt DS Motors Longevity?

OK 1st off not trying to rattle the cages here, just some info please, I understand the 1st rule, speed cost how fast do you wanna go?
now for the question: building up the DS does what for the longevity? When you add 14 to 1 piston, radical cams, heavy duty springs, stroker cranks, nitrous 15 to 20 shots, what is the top end hour time life of a motor?? is the standard just re-ringing the piston? I have been reading that the Valve springs need to be changed also how many hours? say you change your oil every trip to add for wear and tear?
reason im asking Im mainly a Glamis rider from Oct to Feb 1 to 2 trips a month.

Old 08-01-2006, 10:43 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Erb, I change my oil a max of twice a year. This year it got changed at the first of the season when I did my new build, and will get changed after the season ends. Thats about O.........5 or so months of riding, roughly two trips month, or 6 days of riding a month. My motor is a high strung bugger, and I will probably change valve springs next spring, and might do new rings, but dont know yet. Dont right, and in moderation, nitrous does not lower the reliability of the motor. None of the aftermarket components really lower engine life. But the big cams and high reving motor will take its toll on the springs, and rings faster. I am still on my stock crank, never touched, four years old, lots of nitrous, and now lots of power with nitrous. Man there tough. I do use the best oil I can get my hands on though.

Old 08-01-2006, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider
Set a New OEM chassis 4 stroke national record on his OMW DS855 - 3.93 !

I use the synthetic oil from Bombardier and I also do not have to change oil very often. I was always told that with radical cams to change the spings once a year. While you got it apart you might aswell do the rings also, but I dont really know what is recomended for ring life, but Im sure once a year is more than enough.

Old 08-01-2006, 03:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

Theres a pami race motor running around out there that is over 4 years old. It dunes like a beast and has won many competetions(with out the builder having to set and babyset it threw every run) And has run nos nitro and prop and as far as i know is still running today i alway's ran NAPA 15-40w in her for years.if you maintain your build and have a good builder i belive a built motor is just as reliable as a stock motor...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-01-2006, 04:06 PM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]