CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

gas tank problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 02:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas tank problem

I got a billet gas cap and there was a rubber lining inside it and when I would run my quad or leave it without running it would build up a vacuum and suck the lining inside and sealed the tank so much that it would cause gas to come out of the overflow on the carb so I took the lining out of the billet cap and now it runs perfectly fine.

Old 08-04-2006, 09:50 PM
Pro Rider
I ride a little here and there......
Default gas tank problem

Ive went through sooooo many damn problems with that stupid gas tank breather hose....first it cloggs and stalls and you dont no whats wrong untill you finally figure out gas isnt going outta the gas tank so you ride home with the cap on loose..then i changed the hose and it never did once work right again it just shot gas out the hose all over the friggen place because it isnt a one way valve. The hose is that long so if you roll it gives you about 10 seconds or less to get out from under the quad before the gas begins to soak on you...yea really good design bombardier with that one. Eventually plugged that stupid thing then orderd a billet vented gas cap from alba action which by the way never came with any gaskets and was just a hole in the top of the cap waiting to drench you in gasoline the first turn over...ran a vent hose from the gas cap to front of quad to a little home made valve setup that works well. If you get a vented cap dont by albas its pretty much junk other than looking good.

Old 08-05-2006, 01:13 AM
Pro Rider
Default gas tank problem

i did overfill the gas tank and with the gas breather hose clogged it wasnt even giving me a drop of gas thaks for all of the help finnaly work like the day i got it.

Old 08-11-2006, 01:44 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default gas tank problem

I bought a Predator 500 vented cap that fits the threads. The only thing is there are less "rows" of threads on the predator cap so you only get like 2 full turns on the tank. Hold 100% though. Cheap too.

My quad seem to drain slow also. I figured this out when I needed to donate some gas to a friend and we took the hose off the carb to fill a gas can and the flow came to a stop.

Old 08-11-2006, 02:17 AM
Pro Rider
Default gas tank problem

guys I know i saw that pugads said it was making his bike run lean is that possible from having the vent kinked

Old 08-11-2006, 01:30 PM
Pro Rider
Default gas tank problem

I used a gas cap from my Cub Cadet lawnmower, about $10. It has several small holes in the top. Worked great.

Old 08-11-2006, 01:38 PM
Pro Rider
Default gas tank problem

why mess with the cap? I take the vent hose off completely and throw it away and install a one way vent on the tank vent nipple. can buy them at any motorcycle shop. its a tiny alluminum one way valve that normally went on in place of the vent hose on a dirt bike gas cap. works great and there has been one installed on all the DS framed bikes Ive built . just need and inch of hose infront of it and it wont leak a drop. flows enough air to run 1300cc's as well . ; )

Old 08-11-2006, 03:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default gas tank problem

Originally posted by: supersonictoys
why mess with the cap? I take the vent hose off completely and throw it away and install a one way vent on the tank vent nipple. can buy them at any motorcycle shop. its a tiny alluminum one way valve that normally went on in place of the vent hose on a dirt bike gas cap. works great and there has been one installed on all the DS framed bikes Ive built . just need and inch of hose infront of it and it wont leak a drop. flows enough air to run 1300cc's as well . ; )

Ive always liked the looks of Billet as opposed to plastic. Thats just me though.

Old 08-11-2006, 04:33 PM
Pro Rider
Default gas tank problem

a cap is a cap, if it wont make you go any faster or make chicks dig ya , whats the point in spending $75 on one when you dont need it? LOL

Old 08-11-2006, 04:54 PM
Pro Rider
Default gas tank problem

Just cuz I like the looks of it - Its called S T Y L E. Hey, Im not dissing practicality - Its just not my bag. Afterall, that's why we have things like art & culture. I really like a bike that has a lot of attention to detail. To each his own.

Besides, ever spin on one of those Mod Quad gas caps from On Dunes? Now there is some attention to thread design. How about the way it fits your hand? And, a built in one way valve. Practicality doesnt always have to be totally bland. Of course, this is just my opinion. I know what I like - and I am perfectly comfortable with it.

Quick Reply: gas tank problem