CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

100 Db Drag Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 100 Db Drag Pipe

Originally posted by: duneittilludie
Ron i am also trying to think of ways to get more power with reasonable sound levels and i have one idea that may work for me and my disced end cap.I was considering having a large 1"or so hole drilled in the solid end of my end cap and then having that threaded so that i can remove a threaded plug when i get to the drag hill.As you have seen my disced end cap gives me good results and great torque and if i could gain more flow and top end by removing such a plug i could possibly have a fairly quiet pipe that is somewhat adjustable for the hill.My stock pipe with the end cap usually does not even get a second look since it seems to be stock to most eyes so i may see if this will work.I will probably give this a try soon since i could always plug the hole up for good if this does not work.
Mike,

A simple threaded hole might work - especially for sniffer testing. But, I would ask that you consider simply adding disks if you are strickly wanting more top end or horsepower. The reason I favor the disks over a simple hole is the scavenging affect of the disks themselves. They assist in drawing out hot exhuast gases and therefore may - I REPEAT MAY - actually assist in getting more power. Its something to consider anyways. From all the research I did a few years ago, thats what is popping in my mind about those disks.

Marky

Old 08-10-2006, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default 100 Db Drag Pipe

Mark i agree that more discs is the best idea but adding discs out on the sand is difficult when conditions are dry and windy and by that i mean i have done that and dropped some of the screws and had a hard time finding them.I may find that a simple 1" hole does nothing or is worse than without but it should be cheap and easy to try.I should add that you did a great job on this end cap when you came up with it and the design works very well as is.The torque that i get when using 12 discs is great and really helps get my big behind out of the hole quick in a drag race.The sniffer testing could be done through this hole so even if that is all that it accomplishes it would be worth it for me.

Old 08-10-2006, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider
Default 100 Db Drag Pipe

Originally posted by: duneittilludie
Mark i agree that more discs is the best idea but adding discs out on the sand is difficult when conditions are dry and windy and by that i mean i have done that and dropped some of the screws and had a hard time finding them.I may find that a simple 1" hole does nothing or is worse than without but it should be cheap and easy to try.I should add that you did a great job on this end cap when you came up with it and the design works very well as is.The torque that i get when using 12 discs is great and really helps get my big behind out of the hole quick in a drag race.The sniffer testing could be done through this hole so even if that is all that it accomplishes it would be worth it for me.
Cool - Ya I just wanted to mention the other option - Sounds like you already thought it over!

Old 08-11-2006, 08:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default 100 Db Drag Pipe

my buddy has these butterfly valves on his 69 camaros exhaust. push a button the valves open super loud exhaust, rangers coming push the button butterfly valves close the exhaust gets quieter.. real simple. is that why all those rangers were giving me funny looks?

Old 08-11-2006, 09:19 PM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 100 Db Drag Pipe

Originally posted by: DSNUT
That is because you don't live in an area with sound restrictions. I am forced as it is to swap back and forth between the drag pipe for racing and the stock header with my Top Gun slip on. What I am trying to accomplish is to be able switch back and forth in about 2 min so i never have to touch the header bolts. I will use the drag tip in competition and the Top Gun tip when running the race hills on the Oregon coast.

What I am really looking for is feedback from people who ride where there is sound restriction and if they would have any interest in this idea.

If not, I will only make mine[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I'm interested.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-11-2006, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider
Default 100 Db Drag Pipe

hey freebird whats the fastest 300 ft time you have ever made on one of your sleds in the sand?