CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Portings effects on compression?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Portings effects on compression?

Okay stupid question time.So if i want to run straight 110 and i am not burning it efficiently with my compression can i compensate somewhat with a different heat range of plug?Since i am going to run Nitrous i would prefer to run as high an octane number as i can to get good all motor performance and great Nitrous performance.Excuse my ignorance on this if i am way off on my suggestion of plug heat range. I am using NGK JR10B plugs now.

Old 08-14-2006, 01:43 AM
Pro Rider

You will need a colder plug for nitrous so if your trying to get the best of both worlds it wont help you there. You could have one of your vortex curves very aggresive for on the motor and retard for on nitrous.

Old 08-14-2006, 02:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: TheStir
Just an FYI.
Static compression ratio is set and can be calculated by the CCs about the piston at TDC and the bore and stroke. And like Viper said, if you had a VE of 100% this would match you dynamic ratio.
Dynamic compression ratio is what you get in real life, and is affected by all the variables in an engine.
Scott
Exactly![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Static compression does not change. Dynamic compression (cylinder pressure) is effected by all of these factors.

You can effect static compression by changing your piston, increasing stroke and you will effect how much piston dome you can get away with when you change bore so even bore indirectly will effect static compression in some cases.

Dynamic is a product of what porting, cams and valve size can do with VE as stated on top of the base line static compression.

Yep, That about does it![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

LMAO! Can you guys imagine this conversation on the Yami forum? lol. There would only be crickets chirping after a few of these posts by Bom guys[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-14-2006, 02:29 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: rcoop
You will need a colder plug for nitrous so if your trying to get the best of both worlds it wont help you there. You could have one of your vortex curves very aggresive for on the motor and retard for on nitrous.
This is right. You will want to make your adjustment in the CDI because you can set your nitrous curve for your #2 switch position. At your compression I would probably still run the 10's so you are covered for NOS............on all motor I think 9's are better. Do some experimenting but I would be tempted to run 50/50 on all motor and straight 110 when you intend to spray.

Cover yourself because detonation ain't pretty but for maximizing power, you do not want to run more octane than you have to. Slowing the burn rate down will do nothing to make you faster unless you are using it to avoid detonation.

Old 08-14-2006, 02:32 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

This is the same conversation Cape and I had last week. Static compression, cams , and porting all have a hand in creating cylinder pressure. This is why Hpr 3 cams and 12-1 will create better torque then 14-1 and 109's all else being the same. I'm not trying to say one is better then the other just your whole package needs to work together for the intended purpose of the engine. Trying to make up for poor cam selection by jacking up compression, you still won't get the full potential of your engine.
I am in shock![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]........I agree with every word of this to! Great comment rcoop![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Right on![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-14-2006, 02:36 AM
Pro Rider

Just because we are not friends doesnt mean i haven't spent the money and dyno time seeing what makes these Rotax engines run.

Old 08-14-2006, 02:46 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Just because we are not friends doesnt mean i haven't spent the money and dyno time seeing what makes these Rotax engines run.
Why does everything have to be personal? Just a day or two ago you said we were friends......now we aren't? I don't really care either way anymore, just quit making our comments about mechanical things about whether we are friends are not.

If you want to be friends, say so and we will be friends. If you don't, say that and we won't. Either way, can we stick to the subject?

Please PM me with any relationship crap from now on. Sorry........I am not used to discussing whether I am friends or not with other men[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Usually we know where we stand and don't have to talk about it..............If you want to be friends, I am happy to be friends[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I really did like your logic, btw................regarding the topic[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-14-2006, 02:49 AM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] ERBE sings why cant we be friends, why cant we be friends!

Old 08-14-2006, 02:52 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ERBEDS650
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] ERBE sings why cant we be friends, why cant we be friends!
Because you don't want to be. If you wanted to......we could be.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Again.......utilize PM's for this crap[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] This is exactly what they are made for.

Dammit!......Who am I?....... Dr. Phil?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

lol

Old 08-14-2006, 03:00 AM
Pro Rider

Well thanks Ron. This is a good topic though because i don't think it is understood by the average atv owner looking to get a little bit extra out of his bike. For example Flux who is struggling with 14-1 and Hpr 3 cams. If he can get it to run where he rides at it will be a torque monster. It is just building a lot of cylinder pressure for a dune bike that runs into different quality fuels and different riding conditions. I'm not picking on you Flux just the first bike I could think of for an example. I wish you luck with your bike and hope it performs to your expectations. Those type of combos usually work better with alky which is more forgiving on jetting and has a cooling effect on the engine.

Quick Reply: Portings effects on compression?