CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

New rumor on the Renegade

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 06:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New rumor on the Renegade

Originally posted by: raidermike67
I like the single lever braking.
That was one thing about the Outlander I didn't like. I felt it didn't give me the control that I was use to with conventional split brakes. I knew it would take some getting use to but I didn't realize how much I would dislike it. Really bothered me during my evaluation ride on the Outlander. Going to be the the first serious alteration I look into doing if I go with the 800. I use the front and rears separately too often especially in trail riding to not have split brakes. Not only stop wheels and such because that more or less is going to happen anyway in four wheel drive but to load and unload the suspension.

Old 08-20-2006, 04:26 AM
Range Rover

I'm with Raidermike, I like the single lever breaking. Used my Outtie 400 extensively and now that I'm use to it, I would hate to be without it.

Go Can-Am!!!

Old 08-20-2006, 07:14 AM
Pro Rider

I don't mind the single lever braking.

When I want to use the rear brake only, I just use the foot pedal. When I need to load the front ent, I use the single lever. The brake bias setup seems to be set up well enough to do this.

Afterall, we are riding a sporty UTILITY quad, not a SPORT quad.

I also have a DS650 SPORT quad and have no problem shifting back and forth between the bikes.

Riding the Outlander is actually quite relaxing as there is no shifting and the braking is user friendly.

Old 08-20-2006, 10:40 AM
Pro Rider

My take on the single lever braking system and it pertains to the "average" rider and not the extreme sport rider.

Single lever braking, IRS, CVT etc. all are tied into making the operation of an ATV more simple and more appealing to the average to beginner rider. I know a few women who simply refuse to have anything to do with shifting on an ATV, plain and simple, no matter how patient you are in trying to show them IF they simply refuse to learn, OH WELL. I personally prefer the automatics. I believe most of these features are designed to attract a broader customer base.

Same thing goes for cars/trucks with manual vs auto. Dealerships will sell automatics 3-1 over standart transmission AND your resale is higher and easier with an automatic.

The reason many people prefer a clutch and seperate braking controls? It's what they grew up with, it's what they know and are comfortable with. Yes, I realize there are some performance advantages to a clutch over an auto. but with the CC's being put into engines now days I doubt this is THAT much of a factor.

Old 08-20-2006, 11:43 AM
Range Rover

I grew up riding motorcycles. Last 2 wheeler was a KX400, yes it had 2 shocks in the rear.
Then came the Honda 250r 3 wheeler. In 87' I was the first kid on my block to own a Suzuki lt500 "quadzilla". Next came a DS650. Finally a Outtie 400. I have the DS for the dunes and the Outtie for the trails.

The Outlander is my first automatic, first 4x4, first single lever brake. I love it!!! Relaxing yet still sporty. It has a Big Gun exhaust, Dalton clutch kit, Max springs, K&N, the usual. The thing climbs like a mountain goat.

Thinking about getting rid of the DS and Outlander for one quad that will do it all.
Can't wait to test ride the Renegade!

Go Can-Am

Old 08-20-2006, 12:25 PM
Pro Rider

i think it will be a 2 wheel drive track machine,made to beat the yfz and such.

Old 08-21-2006, 04:14 AM
Pro Rider

It's one of those things I wish they would just offer both styles. After all it wouldn't be that big of a deal. At least offer it as a dealer installed option or special order. Makes all of the market happy for very little trouble.