CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

milky oil ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 06:22 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default milky oil ?

To forum,
I have a 200 ds650 recently after purchasing it used found that I had milky engine oil, I proceded to change to oil but this did not help, so pulled the engine and then pulled the cylinder head thinking a blown head gasket might be the cause , but no luck there either, I plan to examine the piston/cylinder for cracks today. Before this problem accured the engine would run really badly spitting and sputtering, & wouldnt stay running a times, the problem seemed to get worse once the engine got warmed.
Ive heard this also might be a water pump seal, but would this make the engine run badly ? loss of compression ?

Thankyou

Old 08-16-2006, 08:15 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default milky oil ?

I have had to replace a bad water pump seal before, and on that particular engine it never ran poorly. It really sounds as though your problem is more in the top end somewhere.

Old 08-16-2006, 02:20 PM
Pro Rider
Default milky oil ?

to me it sounds like the dreaded ventline from the gas tank or maybe the jetting is off...check the spark plugs and let us know how they look and we can tell you how its running...you might also need a valve adjustment...if the ventline on the gas tank gets kinked it makes the quad run really crappy and backfire and such I fixed mine and it runs fine now I just took the hose off for good its under the plastics and can cause alot of problems...I would change the oil maybe you got water in it if everything looks fine I was going to say it could also be antifreeze mixed but if everything looks good i don't think thats the case and get yourself some new plugs...alot of the guys also have alot of trouble with their rectifier's so if none of this stuff is any help to you you may want to consider changing it

Old 08-16-2006, 02:20 PM
Pro Rider
Default milky oil ?

Do you run alky?

Old 08-16-2006, 02:21 PM
Pro Rider
Default milky oil ?

here is a site for spark plugs to let you know how its running
http://www.dansmc.com/Spark_Plugs/Sp...s_catalog.html

Old 08-16-2006, 02:21 PM
Pro Rider
Default milky oil ?

Take the gas cap off and see how it runs

Old 08-16-2006, 02:22 PM
Pro Rider
Default milky oil ?

meaner to me it only looks like he is running an exhuast and k&n with jetting well thats all he has listed...how are the quads running? any new projects?

Old 08-16-2006, 02:24 PM
Pro Rider
Default milky oil ?

meaner I remember I wasn't familiar with ds650's and was looking at pics of quads 1 day and saw the black beuty pic and was like man that thing is sick and then I finally got my own ds and have come a long way trying to make mine as nice as your quads

Old 08-16-2006, 03:12 PM
Pro Rider
Default milky oil ?

Originally posted by: ds650ctracing
To forum,
I have a 200 ds650 recently after purchasing it used found that I had milky engine oil, I proceded to change to oil but this did not help, so pulled the engine and then pulled the cylinder head thinking a blown head gasket might be the cause , but no luck there either, I plan to examine the piston/cylinder for cracks today. Before this problem accured the engine would run really badly spitting and sputtering, & wouldnt stay running a times, the problem seemed to get worse once the engine got warmed.
Ive heard this also might be a water pump seal, but would this make the engine run badly ? loss of compression ?

Thankyou
Milky oil is obviously a sign that your coolant and oil are mixing... if you checked the head gasket, you have two other places to go from there... the cylinder as you have mentioned you will be inspecting, and the water pump seals. Since you already have it apart doing a compression check would be tough so a visual examination is all you can do. Personally I would go ahead and replace the pump seals since you are already ballz deep into the engine... not that it can't be done with the engine in place, but you might as well cover your bases before you bolt everything back up. If the seals don't do it you probably need to run a compression check once you get her back together, and maybe a leak down test. And if that doesn't do it I don't know what to tell ya. Good Luck!

Old 08-16-2006, 03:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default milky oil ?

Thanks 04 well Im always working on something. Im in the process of motor stuff and putting her on a diet. Im not far from Choose so I have to try and stay up

Quick Reply: milky oil ?