CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

ATV jump ramp moving questions (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 02:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV jump ramp moving questions (pics)

Hi.
Lately I've joined a couple of friends who used to do ATV jump shows in the mid 90s. We've got the old ramps out at a friends & go out most week-ends & jump. Anyway we finally added a safety apron (I know, I know). However it makes moving a landing ramp much harder even though it's built on an . After talking with stuntman Doug Danger my friend said his launch ramp is what moves. Our idea was to make a similar setup. I want to use jacks for a farm implement or trailer. Like a Bulldog brand jack that you crank down & will also swivel up. It would be nice to find them with the handle on the side instead of on top too. I've found a couple but at $60 each X 4 of them!!! Plus I need to but big wheels to put on them since we jump on grass. It's really an issue of money & convinence. The idea is to crank the wheels down, move the ramp away from the landing ramp to gain more air, then crank it back down to the ground. This winter we are making new jump & landing ramps, yet want to keep these older ones for another set of small to horse around on. Anyway We need ease of movement yet don't want to spend alot on old ramps since we are building new ones. If anyone knows of a place that sells jacks & things like that cheap let me know. Any other ideas out there???
Here is a pics, it's dark but you can see both ramps. The landing ramp is on a trailer but with the safety apron (not shown in 1 pic) it's hard to move. The launch ramp is built out of 4x4s & just sits on the ground.

45ft jump

me with apron on ramp.

Old 09-06-2006, 02:56 PM
Range Rover

why would you jump with a DS??? That typically isn't the choice for ATV jumping.

Old 09-06-2006, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider

You'd be surprised how well a DS goes 50+ft. Besides it's cool being man enough to jump the big yellow bus. Anyone can jump a 450.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-06-2006, 04:34 PM
Range Rover

Cool looking ramps there, have you ever broke or bent anything on the mighty DS from those type of jump's ? If you have please explain. Thanks. Matt

Old 09-06-2006, 04:51 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: smoothguy
why would you jump with a DS??? That typically isn't the choice for ATV jumping.
Maybe its because the DS has the best stock suspension on the market... my buddy has a trick z400 with full long travel suspension and when we get around a jump he always wants to jump my DS... and man can he sky that thing... he's about 120lbs smaller than me so when he hits the jumps he gets up!. He always says it jumps much better than his z. "F" the 450's man.. the DS can hold its own.

Old 09-06-2006, 05:18 PM
Pro Rider

So far the DS really seems to take it. I hope it continues to.... Without a doubt my friends 450R is really made for this but my friend & I throw our DS's around too.
So far I've overshot the landing ramp at 65ft & hit the flat ground. That hurt my wrists , ankle & neck. My face hit the handlebars lucky for my helmet otherwise I'd have no teeth. The DS got a broken skid play under the motor & a bent (slightly) shock mount. Hell it carved a pit out of the ground when I hit! It was full of dirt & grass on the motorskid plate & between the A-arms.
I've since added a tach. I highly recommend a tach or speedo (not the kind you wear!) doing this. I use to do it by feel. The longer I went the more nervous I got. With a tach I have a good gauge to run my speed. It made my landings much more consistent. We put the 12ft long safety apron on the landing ramp too. I feel better about that also, just in case I come up short I don't hit a steel & wood ramp face.
The DS is really a hell of a jumper considering. It flies straight & true most times & will react to throttle & brake changes in the air, esp. brake! Nose dive city! Plus it's cool throwing around a quad most consider too big to jump[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I need to get this ramp moving thing done quick. I gotta go bigger!

Here is a scanned pic from a disposiable camera. You can see the launch ramp, me in the middle & our landing ramp with the 12 ft safety deck for accidents. It's the flat part with straw under it that you really DO NOT want to land on.

my jump

Old 09-06-2006, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator
Toxic Ryder
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That takes some big nuts to jump with a DS. Nice ramps too...

Old 09-06-2006, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 09-07-2006, 07:14 AM
Pro Rider

O1ds, you have bigger nuts than most!
Looks good and must be addictive.

Old 09-07-2006, 10:24 AM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

01ds650, My hats off to you. Good Luck and I wish you all the success needed for this. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: ATV jump ramp moving questions (pics)