CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

can-am800 vs sportsman800

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006 | 10:51 AM
Pro Rider
Default can-am800 vs sportsman800

Come on raidermike67. At least look at this race with some degree of objectivity. What was the tongue weight on the BRP. It could be that it might have been 300 pounds for all you know. Depending on the type of surface they were racing on, that 300 pounds on the back of the BRP could be what won the race. Who the heck would believe that doubling the weight of a quad would make it faster than a similarly equipped quad? You been had by good marketing. Go back to filling sand bags.
>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>

You're talking in circles now. The POINT was that the Polaris weighs 150 lbs more, it seems as though the poster was trying to make it a "fair" race by pulling the trailer with the honda in the back against the Polaris, from what this poster says the 650 despite being a smaller engine with a larger load held it's own agains the Polaris 700..........is THAT too difficult to understand?

Old 10-08-2006 | 11:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

Bryce, no offence, but I think you are misunderstanding "part-time" 4WD systems and locked 4WD systems, and the difference between open diffs and locked diffs. Not to mention center diffs. The land rover center diff does nothing more than maintain 50% power to each axle. The remaining diffs are still open, and will turn at different speeds on corners. Drving with CDL engaged on the highway is perfectly acceptable for a Rover in conditions that warant it. If you have lcokers, or limited slip diffs, that is a different story, but they don't come stock, or as options. Instead you get traction control. With CDL off, all power could go to one spinning wheel, but TC applies breaks to it and trasnfers power to the others. With CDL on, 50% is going to the other axle, and if one wheel spins in the back for example, you still get full 50% to the front, then brakes aplied to the spinning wheel and all 50% applied to other wheel on that back axle. With lockers and CDL, you have a tank, and most people disable ABS and TC on vehciles equipped with them. ABS and TC can be hazardous on descents for most (inexperienced) drivers, especially in reverse (failed climbs), because they can cause you to slip sideways and roll over.

It sounds like the polaris does not have a true locker at all, but a limited slip diff and maybe some kind of TC. A limited slip diff will run open until there is wheel slip, so the Polaris' tires would also turn at different rates in corners too under that scenario. If it is locking up in corners, it isn't working properly. If it is locked, it will crab around corners. The only difference I can guess (if the polaris system is as you describe) is that the Polaris limited slip diff kicks in faster than the Visco Lock, which is essentially a type of limited slip diff also.

Old 10-08-2006 | 11:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

I think with 150 pounds less weight, the BRP better beat the Polaris in races. Funny thing is, it doesn't sound like it beats it by much. However I have owned my Polaris quads for three seasons now and have yet to find this low quality that you speak of. Now on the other hand, I go down every hill without front tire braking and I'll bet there are many more 2WD quads in your area that also go down these hills without 4WD. So I fail to see your "real hill" point. Must be only the "real riders" that are going down your "real hills".
I wonder how much weight difference there will be once I put all the necessary skids under my Can-Am??

Old 10-08-2006 | 11:07 AM
Pro Rider

wonder how much weight difference there will be once I put all the necessary skids under my Can-Am?? >>>

Minimal, you won't notice a difference.

Old 10-08-2006 | 11:10 AM
Pro Rider

It sounds like the polaris does not have a true locker at all, but a limited slip diff and maybe some kind of TC. A limited slip diff will run open until there is wheel slip, so the Polaris' tires would also turn at different rates in corners too under that scenario. If it is locking up in corners, it isn't working properly. If it is locked, it will crab around corners. The only difference I can guess (if the polaris system is as you describe) is that the Polaris limited slip diff kicks in faster than the Visco Lock, which is essentially a type of limited slip diff also>>>>>>

He only knows what he thinks, he doesn't have any practical experience to draw his conclusion only what he's been told or read.

Old 10-08-2006 | 12:57 PM
Pro Rider

The front diff allways has power to it. The system is like a one way bearing on each axle. When the front axles go slower the the diff it use's ramps to cause it to grab the axle that is going slower an whae the front axle gose faster then the diff it lets go of it. That is why it need a small amout of slip to make it engage. The older Popos used to have it in the front hubs the new one have it in the diff. I have both system in the quads I own. I did a lot of hill climbing on my Scrambler 400. The Popo's use electromagnets to work the awd. Hope this helps not saying one is better then the other just how they work in the popo's.

Old 10-08-2006 | 01:14 PM
Pro Rider

I think it's pretty clear we all understand these systems are both based on the limited slip concept. I also think its pretty clear that each manufacturer feels these systems are important and are probably better to the general, overall public then a full locker which the average rider probably has no use for. Now I'm not trying to start an argument for/against lockers, I'm simply stating that for all general purpose riding which most of these quads are made for the auto 4WD systems SEEM to be pretty popular.

Some makers offer other options and if they are that important to a rider then they should look at something other then a Polaris or Can AM. There are plenty of very good options out there and competiton/free enterprise is alive and well in the ATV industry and is only pushing the overall quality and performance on the market higher each year.

Personally I want a trouble free riding experience with enough power not to worry about it and enough comfort that it doesn't feel like work and enough overall performance to make this FUN! I feel the Outlanders do an excellent job of incorporating both and for my experience level and type of riding fits my needs quite well.

I'm terribly cautious of Polaris because of three different dealers I've bought ATV's from used to carry them and all three cautioned me to stay away because of quality issues. I'm sure this has probably improved as competition is fierce and no manufacturer wants a reputation for poor reliability, you get people stranded down in canyons or deep forest and they aren't gonna be happy campers. I THINK the Polaris reliability/unreliability issue is probabl overexaggerated.

Old 10-08-2006 | 01:35 PM
Pro Rider

I had a dealer tell me that if it wasn't for Polaris...his mechanics would be sitting around twittling their thumbs. Polaris does have the worst service record in ATV history. I went to a Polaris dealer last year and couldn't believe my eyes when i saw ALL of the bikes lined up for work. Stay away from 'em. Thats my advice.

Old 10-08-2006 | 01:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I also hear that Polaris has dipped down a little when it comes to reliability/quality of product in the last few years

Old 10-08-2006 | 02:28 PM
Range Rover

Go Po-Po 4wd go. And umm go brute 650i, oh and go v2 rider he has meh engine lol.....oh and Can't Am stinks, kiddin [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I would love to ride the outty 800, but i could talk for days about the 4wd systems and neccessary items for mud success, but i aint, so im chalkin my vote overall to Polaris 4wd. AND yes i have experience, alotttt of it on that old 98 sportsman 500 6800 bonafide miles [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] gl fellas

Quick Reply: can-am800 vs sportsman800