CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

how does outty compare to grizzly in mud & snow?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how does outty compare to grizzly in mud & snow?

I have an 800 outty and have been ridding in the snow and that's where you can use the power of the ouuty in fact the only thing that can keep up is another outty last winter the group I ride with had a mix of a ATVS and when the snow got deep the outtys had to brake the trail open for the other ATVS.The next best usually was the BF them the 800 popo,Grizz660,AC650,kingquad,and not far behind the400 outty the little outty was the best of the small ATV.

Old 10-04-2006, 02:38 AM
Range Rover

Same results here in Ct, the Outties do better in the snow climbing mountains because the torque sensing front end does back off when needed in off camber turns which allows you to turn without sliding downword. A fully locker will slide (loose traction) to the lower side of the off camber because both wheels are spinning at the same exact rpm, one wheel has to loose traction because of the different radius's in corners.
Even with the same exact tires (ATR's) and swapping riders the results were the same, Outties climbed better up slick mountains than any other machine.

Old 10-05-2006, 01:29 AM
Pro Rider
Is always changing bikes.

if you listen to what they say on the infomercials the weight is to even the whole feild to the same weigh in. say a polaris 800 weighs in ( for example) at 780lbs and the outty 800 weighs in at 710 lbs. they ad 70lbs to the outlander so both bikes pull the same weight and have "equal" traction.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:45 AM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Originally posted by: BBR650
if you listen to what they say on the infomercials the weight is to even the whole feild to the same weigh in. say a polaris 800 weighs in ( for example) at 780lbs and the outty 800 weighs in at 710 lbs. they ad 70lbs to the outlander so both bikes pull the same weight and have "equal" traction.
Right, that is exactly my point. If we are 10 miles from nowhere out in the middle of the woods and we need a bit downed tree moved, the Polaris 800 would have the advantage. The Can-am 800 would not be able to put the weights on the front out there to "even it out".

Old 10-05-2006, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider

it all always boils down to what tires your running too. in the atv sled pulls around here the 800 outtys are pulling same distance in 2wd as the popo 800 in 4. in the infomercials they use the "non-XT" outtys which only come with the carlile badlands, the "xt" comes with the same tire as the sportsman's. all in all its about the bite you can put down on the ground. one day one might do better than the other.

Old 10-05-2006, 07:44 PM
Pro Rider

What you have to consider when comparing the ouuty to the sp800 is the 28% power advantage the outty has over the Polaris that is why the outty will usually win any contest where power is a factor.

Old 10-05-2006, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry for that post I put that one in the wrong place but the same is true with the grizz the outty has more power than it does also and mud snow and sand all need horsepower to get thought.

Old 10-05-2006, 08:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Power is a small ingredient needed to cross those types of terrain.

Old 10-06-2006, 02:10 AM
Pro Rider

CanAM, first thing to know about <u>most</u> dealers is, they don't know sh*t!

About breaking in your new ride, just follow the manual that will tell you to vary the rpms up and down the range. IMHO, that means from 1250 idle rpm to 8000 top rpm, especially during the first 20 miles. I hit 8000 rpms about 6 times during the first 20 miles, in lo gear, which was about 43 mph on my bike. Just don't run it too long at the same speed, over about 5 minutes. It's kind of boring, but it's worth it I think.

My dealer said mine had synthetic oil in it from the factory. I changed it out to mineral based oil for breakin. I have since heard that BRP did not send out the bikes with synthetic oil. Even the oil they sell for your new quad is not synthetic. That's one of about 20 things my dealer was f.o.s. about.

Now that I'm done ranting, you are going to love you new bike! Let us know how it's going, remember there are no dumb questions.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-06-2006, 02:34 AM
Pro Rider

the recommended break in for a new ds if this helps at all is to hit the rev limiter 2-3 times every 30 min in your first 10hrs.

Quick Reply: how does outty compare to grizzly in mud & snow?