CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

new to ds.... need help with mods!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 06:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to ds.... need help with mods!!!!!

If I had the scratch up front I would get the turbo. I am working in stages, so its better for me to be able to buy part as my wallet gets full. If I had any kind of will-power to save any money I would have gone the turbo route.... obviously I don't so I'm piecing together a high strung stock bore.

Old 10-05-2006, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider

Yes a stock bore can be very fast and can run right with the big bores or very close if as you said it is done right.Done right just means using parts that compliment each other and are the most efficient for the money spent and of course the install procedure is very important.I am skilled at quite a few things but building a dependable four stroke motor is not one of my strong points so i leave that to the professionals(CG Performance) in my case and having a motor put together correctly is as important as any other factor in a build or even more so in my opinion.Some will question the need for a Lectron carb because it is more expensive than other carbs but for me it was the best performing bolt on i have ever used in thirty plus years of riding so that would be my first must have for a good running stock bore.I use the 46 but as ANNIHILATER said the 48 seems to work well for others on a stock bore.The 520 chain conversion and lightened hubs with .125 wheels and buffed tires is a very good gain and adds a few lengths on the hill by itself.Cam choice is a very big factor in performance and for me the HPR HR3 are working way better than i could have hoped for but there are other choices which are quite a bit cheaper that could probably come close so research on that subject could be worthwhile.You dont need to spend a lot of cash to have a good runner but to some degree how fast you want to go does depend on how much you are willing to spend.So with all that said i would tell your brother to start with a carb and end cap,CDI,520 chain and sprockets and see how happy that makes him and go from there.

Old 10-05-2006, 09:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Mike there you go with your lies again!!!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-05-2006, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider

Glenn the truth and nothing but the truth.I will admit i am almost afraid to post what has been working so well for me if it comes from back east with all that has been going on around here lately.I am all about the best performance for my dollar and so far my choices have worked well.I wish i knew how to show the smiley faces and the winking face because i would do it.LOL.

Old 10-05-2006, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

Are you gonna make it to Albany to run this weekend Duneittude ?

Old 10-05-2006, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider

rcoop i dont think so since my clutch is so far gone.I have put my clutch through quite a bit of abuse this summer and it is finally beyond adjustments.Next time i go out i will have my new clutch and Vortex CDI so i am looking forward to my next trip!!!

Old 10-05-2006, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider

Thats kewl that bike runs good on the hill. Just wondering if you were gonna beat on it at the track anytime soon.

Old 10-06-2006, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider

rcoop-I will probably take my DS to the track at some point just to see what it will do for time.I am more concerned how it does on the hill but i have always wanted to see how i would do with a light.

Old 10-06-2006, 12:15 AM
Range Rover

well without me knowing my bro ordered a ron woods pipe and a cdi........ what do you guys recommend for gearing??

Old 10-06-2006, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider

Proper gearing will depend on rider weight,tire size ,terrain and power output but...I use 15-40 with my stock bore and 520 chain and sprockets.

Quick Reply: new to ds.... need help with mods!!!!!