CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

new to ds.... need help with mods!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 04:42 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to ds.... need help with mods!!!!!

my bro just got a 04(i think) ds 650x all stock........ so my ? is what mods should i do first? he wants to set it up for drags and duning....... some guy told me to get a rotax pipe or a ron woods are these good pipes????

Old 10-04-2006, 05:17 PM
Pro Rider

yea they are good pipes along with,alba,ct,and there is also an endcap that pretty much gives you the same response and will be much cheaper...What I would do first if you are just riding for fun and want a little more response get the pipe,jet kit,airfilter w/ opn airbox,then a heavier duty clutch,carb,cdi,then do internal engine work...You can also get a 520 o ring chain but would only do it if you don't plan on going to a full dragster as the cahin will snap,get machined hubs so the chain and hubs will help you on rotating mass...and def get you a good set of tires...also for the ds if you start to have cooling probs get some engine ice it will keep the engine alot cooler...If you jsut want to make it into a full dragster alot of people on here have them so they and I could help steer you into the direction you want...here are a few sites with parts.

http://on-dunes.com/

http://www.hpresearch.net/

http://www.partsforatvs.com/bombardier/DS650/

http://www.thebomracing.com/Home.html

http://store.albaaction.com/shop/ATV-BRP.html

http://www.ljsoftware.com/DS/DS650Main.html

rotax.net

Old 10-04-2006, 05:33 PM
Range Rover

thanks for the info ......... i dont know any thing about the ds ive only seen one run........ he just wants to make his ds faster than my R and my shee....... he already has haulers and he has k&n and airfilter and a jet kit just sitting waiting for a pipe

Old 10-04-2006, 05:56 PM
Pro Rider

The ron woods is a good pipe especially if he want to change back and forth to the drag pipe, it is loud either way. Tvipowerandsports.com is another source for information with the ones listed above. Duneitude or Djdragon can chime in both have really good running stockbores that can dune all day and hold there own at the hill. Just tell him to focus on what people are doing to improve there Ds not who they are buying it from. All the buillders fit different needs of different people with different budgets. I wish him luck keep us posted on his build.

Old 10-04-2006, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider

If your brother wants to do any serious drag racing even on the local comp hill he will need to either drastically reduce the weight of his DS or do motor mods or both.You can have a very capable dune DS with just bolt ons such as a pipe or end cap,carb,CDI and good tires but you will need to go into the motor for at the least a bump in compression to get any real results.There are quite a few people on here that could give very specific information on what works for them(see current thread)but it would help if you could give some idea of what your brothers budget is.

Old 10-05-2006, 02:34 AM
Range Rover

he said his budget is 3k-5k for now...... he told his wife he got the bike for 5k(he got it for 3800) so he has a few cash to spend

ive heard stock bore ds' if done right can be good runners..... is that true????

Old 10-05-2006, 03:50 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 1fasstpred
he said his budget is 3k-5k for now...... he told his wife he got the bike for 5k(he got it for 3800) so he has a few cash to spend

ive heard stock bore ds' if done right can be good runners..... is that true????
Duneit has a thread about that exact topic. Use the search and he gives out all of his secrets. Pretty good ones I might add.

Old 10-05-2006, 05:37 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

Originally posted by: 1fasstpred

Id go with a big carb, TM 48mm or Lectron 48mm, End cap Or pipe mentioned above, Higher comp lightweight piston, Lighter chain and hub combo. You can make a stockbore run very hard for the amount you want to spend. Big air in big air out and plenty of compression. There are too many choices of cams to point one spec out. You may be able to find a good set of used cams. I hear the stocks are even good if the timing is manipulated right.

Old 10-05-2006, 06:10 AM
Pro Rider

Just do the KMS Performance EFI Turbo kit!!!!

All bolt on parts and its a complete kit!!!

I have the kit on my dune DS and it works very well.....I'm getting 72hp rear wheel HP & 57ftpds of torque running 5pds of boost on the stock motor....If you run 10pds of boost you will get over 85hp.....

The neat thing is you don't have to open the motor and you can take the kit off and return the DS to stock....which is especcially handy when Can-Am updates the DS650 engine and frame next year, as you can sell the old DS and bolt the kit on the new one.....hopefully....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-05-2006, 04:53 PM
Pro Rider

az what are they going to do lighten the engine and restlye it a little bit.

Quick Reply: new to ds.... need help with mods!!!!!